Anybody else sick of the supposed race issue?

ClimateSanity

it was an attempt to ride the success of pulp fiction, iirc

flawed in many ways, it is noteworthy in my mind for stellar performances by steve buscemi, christopher lloyd and a truly evil christopher walken

and a classic bit part by cheadle :thumb:

btw, i was driving home last night after i'd posted that "the token black guy" bit when it struck me that nick fury is played by a black guy :doh:

Is he token too? :chuckle:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
So because you thought this was a good flick that should speak for us all? I can say after seeing the trailer and knowing that I would have to endure the rap crap that passes for music I knew I wasn't interested. I would say look at the stats, "The Revenant" which had best actor sold $300 million in tickets where "Straight Outta of Compton" only sold $60.2 Million, I think that shows why right there but, I guess the Oscar should have been awarded because of race instead of merit...Lame!

and the revenant dint have any rap in it! :thumb:

ok doser

That's it, it's largely symptomatic of a larger problem. But as a highly-visible part of that system, they have a larger-than-most responsibility to do something about it.

I think you can have a racist system in which no individual participant has to make a single, explicitly racist decision. I'm don't think that's exactly what's going on in Hollywood. I think there are people making casting decisions based on race and expectations about what people want to see, accurate or not. And it's certainly true that a lot of white people react pretty dramatically when a black actor is cast in a traditionally white roll. But the Oscars itself may be unwitting racism. And the only way to change that sort of system is to call it out. The people inside the system don't want it to be that way necessarily, and they certainly don't want to be seen that way. And it looks like there are some changes coming because of the publicity.

seems to me that twelve years a slave won a bunch of awards last year

and dint that have black people in it?

This is why the world is stupid.

well, that and the fact that God filled it up with stupid people
Black actors deserve what they get - nothing

but that's not faaaaiaiiiirrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!! :baby:

Is he token too? :chuckle:

I'm not gonna tell SLJ he's a token :noid:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So because you thought this was a good flick that should speak for us all? I can say after seeing the trailer and knowing that I would have to endure the rap crap that passes for music I knew I wasn't interested. I would say look at the stats, "The Revenant" which had best actor sold $300 million in tickets where "Straight Outta of Compton" only sold $60.2 Million, I think that shows why right there but, I guess the Oscar should have been awarded because of race instead of merit...Lame!
Box office gross and Oscar wins rarely coincide, but the better argument would have been Creed, which did well with the public and was critically well received, better than a number of films that were nominated...I think Revenant had the weakest critical reception, which is why I never believed it would take home the Oscar. Seemed to me it would either be Room or Big Short. The best reviewed film of the year, curiously enough, was Mad Max. But you knew there was no way the Academy was going to vote that in.

ClimateSanity

I have watched many movies but I have an observation. The black actors who have won critical recognition played roles that are not stereotypically ghetto black at all. Danny Glover etc. Eddie Murphy is an exception in my mind.

If you want recognition, play a role that the majority culture can relate to.

ok doser

i liked will smith in i robot :idunno:

denzel in training day

morgan freeman in amistad

laurence fishburne in apocalypse now

sam jackson in pulp fiction

robert downey jr in tropic thunder

rexlunae

Why do they have a larger responsibility than most? Wouldn't the primary responsibility be with those who are creating the films?

Because the represent the pinnacle of success in Hollywood, and they are powerful enough to drive at least some decisions in how movies are made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_bait

Depending on the case I can understand that. And I tend to think the primary way black actors get jobs shouldn't be by changing existing characters to be black. Then again, I'm not sure what percentage of films are based on existing stories and what are original.

And yet, white actors play non-white characters all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_featuring_whitewashed_roles

ok doser

Because the represent the pinnacle of success in Hollywood, and they are powerful enough to drive at least some decisions in how movies are made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_bait

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_featuring_whitewashed_roles

in other news, it's finally revealed that bernie (weekend at bernie's) was not played by a dead guy

the expected storm of protests from dead guys everywhere has been slow to materialize

Last edited:

ok doser

didja know that anthony quinn was not a greek?

or an eskimo? :noway:

and that John Wayne wasn't really a mongol conqueror

or a deputy us marshall? :noway:

ok doser

didja know that actors of either gender often play characters of the other gender? :noway:

ok doser

white actors play non-white characters
white actors play cross gender characters
white actors play non-human characters
white actors play disabled characters
white actors play abused characters, characters who have been raped or murdered even though they may never have been raped, abused or murdered themselves!

google "definition of acting" and see if you don't get it

ok doser

did you know that samuel Jackson (a black actor) played a purple hybrid souped up snail?

and he really isn't a purple hybrid souped up snail!!!??? :noway:

turbo-Movie_Whiplash-Wallpaper_HD1.jpg

where's the outrage?