Abortion. The United States of America.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
What age is a newborn? A day old, or nine months old at birth?

Stuart

The word "newborn" doesn't have an age tied to it.

Newborn just means "recently or just born," both of those words (recently and just) are relative terms.

Doesn't change the baby's age from conception, but we typically don't measure age from conception, since it's hard to know exactly when a baby is conceived, just age from birth, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Stuu

The word "newborn" doesn't have an age tied to it.

Newborn just means "recently or just born," both of those words (recently and just) are relative terms.

Doesn't change the baby's age from conception, but we typically don't measure age from conception, since it's hard to know exactly when a baby is conceived, just age from birth, and there's nothing wrong with that.
So a child of 'any age' would be a child that has an age, from birth.

A baby is 'a very young child or infant', and an infant is a 'child during the earliest part of its life', where a 'child' is synonymous with a newborn.

These semantics are important because the anti-medical consent lobby (who apparently don't like it when other people make decisions about what medical procedures they can have) intentionally use emotive terms that make people think of a foetus as being exactly like a 'baby' or 'child', when actually a foetus is exactly like a foetus, and not necessarily like a baby or newborn child.

Now, you might be a big fan of the emotive language and be very squeamish about the idea of killing a foetus, and you are entitled to free speech of course. But you must remember the outrageous pressure that places on a woman who has to have an abortion to save her own life. You don't seem very keen on doing the honourable thing, and conceding that there are times when it would be the right thing to do to completely support a woman's choice, and indeed to encourage her to save her own life.

Your cited website describes this as regrettable, which is an attitude that quite frankly stinks.

And even if you agree that a woman shouldn't be hounded by religious bigots in a case when it is her life on the line, you still have the ethical question in front of you, that if you agree that this example of an abortion is ok, then why would any abortion be not ok?

Stuart

john w

Hall of Fame
Both those statements contain that same phrase. For what it is worth, my advice is to just keep smoking the stuff and try not to vote if you can help it.

Stuart

Yeh, sure, actress-you can't even quote properly, and your asserting that I'm smokin' haseesh? I picked your initial "argument" apart, Jeff Spicoli, Jr., leaving you bloodied, on the mat, until "The Devil's Brigade" revives you, again, by pumping you full of hot air, sophistry, hypocrisy, and then you'll engage in more "create a moving target" jazz.

Stuu

Yeh, sure, actress-you can't even quote properly, and your asserting that I'm smokin' haseesh? I picked your initial "argument" apart, Jeff Spicoli, Jr., leaving you bloodied, on the mat, until "The Devil's Brigade" revives you, again, by pumping you full of hot air, sophistry, hypocrisy, and then you'll engage in more "create a moving target" jazz.
Yes yo biggin it up some but those flies ain't on my stuff.

Stuart