Wrestling: Civic responsiblities and Christian mandates

fzappa13

Ephesians 5

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret

Oh, now you're worried about works.

:rotfl:

You're funny money Nick.

Lon

Expound. Because you seem confused.

Dichotomies are seldom seen by those in their grips.

Well, there might be some harsh dialogue to be had, but thank you both for taking the bull by the horns.
I really want to have this topic discussed and taken where it needs to go.
There is a tension (as far as I see) between duties. It isn't always as black and white (to me) and so I appreciate attempts to clear out grays. Thanks

In Him

-Lon

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, there might be some harsh dialogue to be had, but thank you both for taking the bull by the horns.
There is a tension (as far as I see) between duties. It isn't always as black and white (to me) and so I appreciate attempts to clear out grays. Thanks

In Him

-Lon
Paul is explicit in that the red letters are not to be regarded.

fzappa13

In Him

-Lon

Dichotomies come in different flavors. Some are inherent in the matter addressed and some are imposed upon what is seen or read by the observer. I suppose the trick is to be able to discern between the two. When faced with what appear to be biblical dichotomies, far too many choose one aspect of it at the expense of the other and in so doing fail to reconcile what appear to be disparate verses and wind up with an abbreviated Bible as a result.

Last edited:

fzappa13

In discerning and reviewing the premise of your O.P. I have to say that I have struggled with this notion for many years now. When I finally embraced the Word of God I also acquired a concern for my fellow man and I think the two related. I guess I question the way this concern manifested itself at times.

I recently finished an 8 year stint as a self published investigative reporter in an attempt to root out corruption in local government and make manifest an environment conducive to raising a family. I went at it hammer and tong with D.A.'s, Judges, Sheriff's and Mayors. Suffice to say there was a price to be paid for that and my family paid it. I don't know that I was ever fully able to make them understand that I was doing it for them. I don't know if I fully understand whether or not it was my obligation to do it either but, at the time, I felt it was.

Whether to passively accept or actively participate in our governance is a question that Christianity has long struggled with. On the one hand we are encouraged to submit and, on the other, thirst for righteousness. The concept of an elective democracy depends on an honest and informed electorate and I'm not sure we have either at this point. I guess if I were to offer any advice on the subject I would say take care of your family first and participate in the societal endeavor as you're are able and inclined. That said, don't rob too much from your family to fight what is likely a lost cause. God is able to uphold those that are His in all circumstances and countries regardless of what system of government they are under. Just make sure you are one of His.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lon