Woman fired from Christian University for Being Pregnant

HisServant

I'm not a teacher (Jas 3:1). :dizzy: I hand out the bulletins and change the toilet paper.

fei335.gif

:scripto: You've said. But I checked my bible this morning and Lk 16:18--still sittin' there (Mt 5:18). :AMR: What does your copy say?
cheating-on-test-smiley-emoticon.gif

Apparently my copy is a lot more comprehensive and requires a lot more study to understand than your juvenile understanding of it.

You should really get beyond the 1st grade before you try and talk intellegently to people.... because quite frankly, and I believe most people here would agree, you come across as an idiot most of the item.

TrakeM

That's immoral to the point of being down right christian. Also, should their church be able to call themselves a university? Universities are about education, learning and questioning your beliefs based on scientific evidence.

Quetzal

That's immoral to the point of being down right christian. Also, should their church be able to call themselves a university? Universities are about education, learning and questioning your beliefs based on scientific evidence.
Since when has Christianity been interested in science? :chuckle:

genuineoriginal

I would imagine there would have to be, right? Otherwise, can't she file for wrongful termination?

From oregon.gov:
Employment at Will
The common law rule regarding the employer-employee relationship allows the termination of the relationship by either party, without notice and without cause.​

They fired her with cause, but they could have easily fired her without cause.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Serial adulterer Lk 16:18] Apparently my copy is a lot more comprehensive and requires a lot more study to understand than your juvenile understanding of it.

:yawn: 1 Ti 4:12

The term adultery is confusing? :smokie: Takes more study? :freak:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned

HisServant

Adultery is any sex outside of marriage (Ex 20:14, 1 Co 6:9-10). :dizzy: It's not: what I feel, what I think, what I hope, what I want... :freak: Mt 19:11

You're on
emoticones_gestos_cruzando-los-dedos2_en.PlanetaEmoticon.com.gif
wife number two :scripto: and your wife is still alive? Rom. 7:2, 3

See:

Divorce & Remarriage: A Position Paper by John Piper

Fornication is sex between unmarried people... or sex between a married person and an unmarried person.

Adultery is between two married people who are not married.

Sheesh... I would have thought you would be smart enough to figure that out by now.

As far as your second verse, its way out of context and nothing less then a perversion of Gods word.

You should be very afraid of your Blasphemy.

And you seem to keep posting that nut job Piper's book like its more important than scripture.

PureX

Most boards of trustees are full of older people, since they are usually rich and retired. As a religious institution, the university has a right to hire and fire who they like. If you violate their code of conduct in such an obvious way, firing isn't too surprising.

That said, this kind of standard is clearly out of sync with the rest of society. But that's kind of the point of a college like NCU. But not even every Christian college would do this kind of thing.
I don't really have a problem with this, generally. They have a right to set their standards, as a private enterprise, and anyone working or going to school there should know this and respect it going in. But of course they also have a responsibility to make this all clear going in. They can't just make up their rules as they go.

Last edited:

HisServant

Then you've accepted Obamacare, abortion, and gay marriage, anti-homo cake backlash...etc. as the current standard rule?

Free association... it was a private institution and they can have their own rules.

The government on the other hands can only make rules that are constitutional.

I accept them they way they are, but that doesn't prevent anyone from trying to repeal the ACA, pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage and abortion.

As far as the anti-cake backlash.. I believe that will eventually end up in the supreme court and Oregon's laws will be struck down. As the government must treat people equally.. and businesses have always had the right to deny service for any reason. I hope business owners are smart in the future and just deny service without giving a reason because they are not required to.

I'm sorry, I do not wish to serve you... is all that needs to be said.

No shoes, no shirt, no service... no screaming kids... no disruptive people... there are tons of legit reasons to deny service.

You cut me off while I was driving yesterday... a valid reason.

glorydaz

I agree if there had been written rules as part of an employment agreement. But I see no such rules from the article. Perhaps they had them, but we don't know from reading the article.

I would imagine there would have to be, right? Otherwise, can't she file for wrongful termination?

Depends on the terms of her contract, if she had one. Most likely though, since this is a religious institution they are free to hire and fire as they please.

Yep. She's probably an at-will employee, meaning the college may fire her for any reason.

From oregon.gov:
Employment at Will
The common law rule regarding the employer-employee relationship allows the termination of the relationship by either party, without notice and without cause.​

They fired her with cause, but they could have easily fired her without cause.

There were no "written rules" and she does have grounds for "wrongful termination". There was no morality clause signed, and the handbook claimed there was no discrimination based on gender, marital status, etc. There was a contract signed and it required a review before termination. She was fired without the review. A contract over rides "at will". In Oregon, you cannot fire a woman for being pregnant and unmarried even if you are a Christian College. They have to abide by the same rules as other employers.

I not only know the case, I know the girl. Rather than have an abortion, she opted to keep the child. Not only that, but the guy who gave her the ultimatum called her more than once demanding to know what she'd decided. To insist she get married (as if that decision was hers alone), or "disassociate" from her child's father is wrong and where the problem arises. She loses not only her job but insurance and the baby is due in three months. Talk about stress....no wonder she is fighting this.

She teaches nutrition not family values. The strange part is one professor at that college is an outspoken atheist.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Free association... it was a private institution and they can have their own rules.

The government on the other hands can only make rules that are constitutional.

I accept them they way they are, but that doesn't prevent anyone from trying to repeal the ACA, pass a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage and abortion.

As far as the anti-cake backlash.. I believe that will eventually end up in the supreme court and Oregon's laws will be struck down. As the government must treat people equally.. and businesses have always had the right to deny service for any reason. I hope business owners are smart in the future and just deny service without giving a reason because they are not required to.

I'm sorry, I do not wish to serve you... is all that needs to be said.

No shoes, no shirt, no service... no screaming kids... no disruptive people... there are tons of legit reasons to deny service.

So, in otherwords, you selectively abondon your prior pronouncment "If you break the rules.. you should be ready to accept the consequences." when you see fit?

genuineoriginal

There were no "written rules" and she does have grounds for "wrongful termination". There was no morality clause signed, and the handbook claimed there was no discrimination based on gender, marital status, etc. There was a contract signed and it required a review before termination. She was fired without the review. A contract over rides "at will". In Oregon, you cannot fire a woman for being pregnant and unmarried even if you are a Christian College. They have to abide by the same rules as other employers.

I not only know the case, I know the girl. Rather than have an abortion, she opted to keep the child. Not only that, but the guy who gave her the ultimatum called her more than once demanding to know what she'd decided. To insist she get married (as if that decision was hers alone), or "disassociate" from her child's father is wrong and where the problem arises. She loses not only her job but insurance and the baby is due in three months. Talk about stress....no wonder she is fighting this.

She teaches nutrition not family values. The strange part is one professor at that college is an outspoken atheist.

If you are right about the terms of the contract she signed, she could sue for breach of contract, but is not able to sue for wrongful termination.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Woman fired from Christian University for Being Pregnant

So, this is not unusual, most christian schools have morality clauses for staff and students and she was offered to keep her job if she married her 12 year lover who is the father of her child.

She chose not to.

Instead of receiving the requested information, the unwed mother was terminated from her job. In a lawsuit filed Tuesday, Richardson said she received notice that her “lifestyle” — choosing to have a child with her partner — was inconsistent with Northwest’s “faith-based” policies. Richardson was given three choices: Marry the child’s father, end her relationship, or lose her job.

“Your pregnancy outside of marriage and cohabitation with the father is incompatible with NCU’s missions and goals,” a letter signed by Dean of the Faculty and Vice President of Academic Affairs Dennis R. Lindsay reads, in part. “NCU expects its faculty to be role models for the students. Since your marital status is generally known and your pregnancy will become obvious to all, it will be apparent to faculty and students you have engaged in a lifestyle that does not reflect faith-based conduct consistent with NCU goals or expectations.”

You can see a copy of the letter she was sent about it here: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/0...y-for-maternity-leave-gets-pink-slip-instead/ and in the letter they refer to the employee handbook, meaning she agreed to a morality clause.