With Men This is Impossible

Jerry Shugart

Let us look at what the Lord Jesus said about the works of the Law when He answered the following question:

"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself"
(Mt.19:16-19).​

In those verses the Lord Jesus told the man one way that he could obtain eternal life, and that way is by keeping the moral law. Then let us look at what the two said to one another:

"All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions" (Mt.19:20-22).​

As the Lord said in verse 19 if we want to inherit eternal life by keeping the commandments then we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. And that would include giving what we have to the poor. Upon hearing that the young man went away. Then the Lord said:

"Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God"
(Mt.19:18-19).​

His disciples then asked him the following question:

"Who then can be saved?" (V.25).​

To this question the Lord answered, saying:

"With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible" (v.26).​

The Lord was teaching them that if a person attempts to be saved by keeping the moral law then he will find it impossible to do. That is why Paul wrote this:

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Ro.3:20).​

However, the LORD who is rich in mercy, reveals another way whereby a person can obtain eternal life:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

There is only one way that a person can obtain eternal life and that is by faith and faith alone. The Scriptures will be searched in vain for any teaching which says that we can only obtain eternal life by both faith and keeping the moral law.

Truster

MORAL LAW for REFORMERS.

MORAL LAW for REFORMERS.

"The Scriptures will be searched in vain for any teaching which says that we can only obtain eternal life by both faith and keeping the moral law".

That should stir up a few "REFORMERS"....

Nanja

There is only one way that a person can obtain eternal life and that is by faith and faith alone. The Scriptures will be searched in vain for any teaching which says that we can only obtain eternal life by both faith and keeping the moral law.

And the only Faith that results in Eternal Life is a fruit of the Spirit given in New Birth Gal. 5:22; John 3:27.

John 3:3
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

New Birth is received passively. It's all the action of God in those He has Chosen in union with Christ to be His adopted Sons Eph. 1:4-11!

2 Tim. 1:8-9
8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; 9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began

There is no work or action a person can perform that can produce New Birth, and that includes his own faith or believing. For they are mere works of the flesh which cannot please God Rom. 8:8!

Jerry Shugart

There is no work or action a person can perform that can produce New Birth, and that includes his own faith or believing[/B].

Then why does Peter say that we are born again by the word of God, the gospel?:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23,25).​

Why does James say that we are born of God by the word of truth?:

"He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created" (Jas.1;18).​

Nanja

Then why does Peter say that we are born again by the word of God, the gospel?:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23,25).​

Why does James say that we are born of God by the word of truth?:

"He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created" (Jas.1;18).​

First, notice Peter is addressing the Elect of God 1 Pet. 1:2, those born of incorruptible seed 1 Pet. 1:23, which means they are Christ's Seed, chosen of the Father in union with Him from everlasting Eph. 1:4-5. It's only to these Elect that the Word of God is sent. It's the engrafted Word James 1:21 placed in a New Heart / Mind 1 Cor 2:16!

New Birth, being Born of God, is required before a person can hear [spiritually] the Word of God, the Gospel which is spiritual 1 Cor. 2:13.

But one who is not born of God can't hear [spiritually understand/comprehend] God's Words:

John 8:43, 47
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Also, the natural man can't believe on Christ or obey the Gospel because his carnal mind is enmity against God Rom. 8:7-8.

His own faith he works in his mind is worthless, unprofitable.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2041&t=KJV&ss=1

Rom. 3:11-12
11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Rom. 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

So first one is saved, then called to believe the Gospel Gal. 5:22, even the Gospel of their Salvation Eph. 1:13.

8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; 9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Interplanner

First, notice Peter is addressing the Elect of God 1 Pet. 1:2, those born of incorruptible seed 1 Pet. 1:23, which means they are Christ's Seed, chosen of the Father in union with Him from everlasting Eph. 1:4-5. It's only to these Elect that the Word of God is sent. It's the engrafted Word James 1:21 placed in a New Heart / Mind 1 Cor 2:16!

New Birth, being Born of God, is required before a person can hear [spiritually] the Word of God, the Gospel which is spiritual 1 Cor. 2:13.

But one who is not born of God can't hear [spiritually understand/comprehend] God's Words:

John 8:43, 47
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.
47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Also, the natural man can't believe on Christ or obey the Gospel because his carnal mind is enmity against God Rom. 8:7-8.

His own faith he works in his mind is worthless, unprofitable.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G2041&t=KJV&ss=1

Rom. 3:11-12
11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. 12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Rom. 8:9
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

So first one is saved, then called to believe the Gospel Gal. 5:22, even the Gospel of their Salvation Eph. 1:13.

8 Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; 9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Instead of finding separate experiences that enable us to hear God, let's stick with the activity of the Spirit. That alone enables us to hear, anyone to hear.

daqq

Let us look at what the Lord Jesus said about the works of the Law when He answered the following question:

"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself"

In those verses the Lord Jesus told the man one way that he could obtain eternal life, and that way is by keeping the moral law. Then let us look at what the two said to one another:
"All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions" (Mt.19:20-22).​

As the Lord said in verse 19 if we want to inherit eternal life by keeping the commandments then we are to love our neighbor as ourselves. And that would include giving what we have to the poor. Upon hearing that the young man went away. Then the Lord said:

"Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God"

The Lord was teaching them that if a person attempts to be saved by keeping the moral law then he will find it impossible to do. That is why Paul wrote this:

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Ro.3:20).​

However, the LORD who is rich in mercy, reveals another way whereby a person can obtain eternal life:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).

It is not quite so cut and dry as you try to make it sound; for if you faithfully trust, ("believe"), the One who sent him, that is, the Father, (as he says in many other places), then you must faithfully trust the Word of the Father which is the Torah. Problem is that most neither understand nor accept the Torah because one cannot understand it without first truly understanding the Testimony of Messiah. The "works of the Law" are the carnal and physical understanding of the commandments taught by the physical minded Pharisees, Sadducees, Elders, and Scribes of the first century, and yes, those physical understandings are irrelevant and entirely unprofitable when it comes to the deeper understanding of the holy and spiritual writings of scripture from a holy heavenly Father who is Spirit. The Torah is spiritual and supernal in all its meaning, (Rom 7:14). The only physical things that count are what you appear to be calling moral law, such as, "Do not murder-kill", etc., but there are also deeper meanings to those things also: and not murdering other people does not mean you are "saved", rather, if you literally physically murder someone then you deserve to also be put to death by the Avenger of blood. Keeping yourself from murdering other people has nothing to do with being "saved" the way most people mean that word in mainstream Christian thinking.

Interplanner

It is not quite so cut and dry as you try to make it sound; for if you faithfully trust, ("believe"), the One who sent him, that is, the Father, (as he says in many other places), then you must faithfully trust the Word of the Father which is the Torah. Problem is that most neither understand nor accept the Torah because one cannot understand it without first truly understanding the Testimony of Messiah. The "works of the Law" are the carnal and physical understanding of the commandments taught by the physical minded Pharisees, Sadducees, Elders, and Scribes of the first century, and yes, those physical understandings are irrelevant and entirely unprofitable when it comes to the deeper understanding of the holy and spiritual writings of scripture from a holy heavenly Father who is Spirit. The Torah is spiritual and supernal in all its meaning, (Rom 7:14). The only physical things that count are what you appear to be calling moral law, such as, "Do not murder-kill", etc., but there are also deeper meanings to those things also: and not murdering other people does not mean you are "saved", rather, if you literally physically murder someone then you deserve to also be put to death by the Avenger of blood. Keeping yourself from murdering other people has nothing to do with being "saved" the way most people mean that word in mainstream Christian thinking.

'Moses testified of me'--Christ. So there is the Christocentric meaning of the Law to be found and seen.

As for faith alone, it always has an object. There is no faith just by itself. It's value depends entirely on the object it trusts.

Nanja

Instead of finding separate experiences that enable us to hear God, let's stick with the activity of the Spirit. That alone enables us to hear, anyone to hear.

But it's only once a person has been given New Birth, Born of the Spirit of God, quickened / made Spiritually Alive, is he given the ability to Hear [to comprehend, to understand] God's Words which are Spiritual.

John 8:43,47
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Interplanner

But it's only once a person has been given New Birth, Born of the Spirit of God, quickened / made Spiritually Alive, is he given the ability to Hear [to comprehend, to understand] God's Words which are Spiritual.

John 8:43,47
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

That's true, I just don't get the idea of separating this from, and placing before, believing.

Jerry Shugart

Here the Lord Jesus says that His words are spirit and they are life:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (Jn.6;63).​

Are you saying that a person received spiritual life by just hearing His words and not believing them?

Besides that, in the following passage we can see that "life" comes as a result of believing and not prior to believing:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name"
(Jn.20:30-31).​

Jerry Shugart

Keeping yourself from murdering other people has nothing to do with being "saved" the way most people mean that word in mainstream Christian thinking.

No, but the moral law is "ordained to life":

"For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me" (Ro.7:9-11).​

How do you think that could possibly be true?

Nanja

JS
Are you saying that a person received spiritual life by just hearing His words and not believing them?

No I did not. Being Born of the Spirit precedes Spiritual Hearing John 8:43, 47, and Believing is a fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22.

Zeke

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

r7

All this would concern the kingdom being offerd to him which starts within man Luke 17:20-21 and the statements made by Jesus about John in Matt 11:11 also shows the words of Jesus were Spirit a voice not audible to anyone except in the temple of God 1Cor 3:16, Acts 17:24 the literal reading veils the message and feeds the carnal mind that preaches types and shadows.

daqq

No, but the moral law is "ordained to life":
"For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me" (Ro.7:9-11).

How do you think that could possibly be true?

Ordained is in italics in most translations because it is only implied and thus added:

Romans 7:10 YLT
10 and the command that is for life, this was found by me for death;

The commandment is found by man to be toward death when man transgresses and breaks the commandment. Thus the commandment also accomplishes a purpose in driving man toward the Messiah; for the Messiah came for those who have transgressed the Law and are willing to admit it. That however does not nullify the Torah but in fact establishes the need for it. Without the Torah you have no legal necessity for grace or mercy because sin is not imputed without a commandment not to do such and such things that are contrary to the nature of Elohim and Truth. The reason I believe Paul says something like, "the commandment was ordained to life", is because if indeed one could fulfill all of it, continually throughout a lifelong walk, then indeed the same would live, (and so it is therefore ordained to-toward life). However there is life by faith also in the Torah, just as Moses writes and Paul teaches in Romans 10, (as you and I have touched on in a small way in other conversations about this passage), and Paul expounds herein what it means to choose life; life which is written in the Torah, concerning Messiah, that is, according to how Paul interprets the following passage of Torah which he quotes from:

Romans 10:4-8
4 For Meshiah is the goal
(τελος - point aimed at) of the Torah unto righteousness to everyone who is faithfully-trusting.
5 For Moshe writes about the righteousness which is of the Torah, "The man who does these shall live by them."
Lv 18:5
6 But the righteousness from faithfulness speaks in this manner, "Do not say in your heart, Who shall ascend into the heavens?" (that is, to bring Meshiah down)
Dt 30:12
7 Nor say in your heart, "Who shall descend into the abyss?" (that is, to bring Meshiah up from the dead)
Dt 30:13 Paraphrase
8 But what does it say? "The ρημα-word is very near unto you, in your mouth and in your heart", (that is, the ρημα-word of the faithfulness which we preach)
Dt 30:14

Deuteronomy 30:10-15
10 If you shall hearken unto the voice of YHWH your Elohim, to keep His commandments and His statutes which are written in this Sefer ha-Torah, and if you turn unto YHWH your Elohim with all your heart, and with all your soul.
11 For this commandment which I command you this day, it is not hidden from you, neither is it far off.
12 It is not in the heavens, that you should say, Who shall ascend for us into the heavens, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it and do it?
13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, Who shall go across the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it and do it?
14 But the Word is very near unto you, in your mouth and in your heart, that you may do it.
15 Consider, (See), I have set before you this day life and good, and death and evil:

So Paul is teaching in Rom 10:6-8 that this Word from Deut 30:14 is Meshiah, (and Deut 30:10 says written in the Scroll of the Torah), and therefore the Word of the Torah is Meshiah and Meshiah is the Word of the Torah, (whether spoken with the mouth, as
ρημα-word, or whether λογος-word as perhaps in wisdom and reasoning).

Who shall ascend into the heavens for us, and bring the Word unto us, that we may hear and do? Who shall go across the sea for us, and bring the Word unto us, that we may hear and do? Who shall descend into the abyss, and bring Meshiah up from the dead, that we may hear the Word and do? Nay but, O man, Meshiah the Word is in your mouth and in your heart, (unless of course you reject the Word of the Torah). :)

And that is according to the teaching of Paul . . . :)

Jerry Shugart

Without the Torah you have no legal necessity for grace or mercy because sin is not imputed without a commandment not to do such and such things that are contrary to the nature of Elohim and Truth.

Are you not aware that the Gentiles, who have not the law, do indeed have sin imputed to them? Do you not think that those who lived before the Law was given did not have their sins imputed to them?:

"And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous" (Gen.18:20).​

The fate of these ungodly men who lived in those cities bears witness to the fact that their sins were indeed imputed into their account:

"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" (Jude 7).​

daqq

Are you not aware that the Gentiles, who have not the law, do indeed have sin imputed to them? Do you not think that those who lived before the Law was given did not have their sins imputed to them?:
"And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous" (Gen.18:20).​

The fate of these ungodly men who lived in those cities bears witness to the fact that their sins were indeed imputed into their account:

"Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire" (Jude 7).​

You did not pay close enough attention to the context of my remarks:

Romans 5:13 ASV
13 for until the law sin was in the world; but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Perhaps that is why the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah does not lead anyone to Messiah.

Jamie Gigliotti

A soul filled with Christ loves like Christ.

Jerry Shugart

Being Born of the Spirit precedes Spiritual Hearing John 8:43, 47, and Believing is a fruit of the Spirit Gal. 5:22.

What kind of "life" does a person receive when he believes?:

"And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name"
(Jn.20:30-31).​