Why do border crossings exsist?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Look at what happened at the Mexican border. The 'caravan' became violent and broke through. I kind of doubt the same thing will occur at our border crossings. The 'caravans' will take a look at the US troops and hightail it back to their own country.

fool

Hall of Fame
and what skills and values will these people bring to our country? In what way will we benefit from their presence? Will they be a drain on our society or a benefit? Will they bring order or chaos?

Would they not be better served returning to their homelands and working to make them better?

isn't that why we send billions in foreign aid to central america, to prevent it from becoming destabilized?

We destabilized it so we could have cheap bananas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_Wars

I'm not saying that means we need to take the whole of Central America in as refugees but we do have some banana on our hands here.

fool

Hall of Fame
It is our Presidents responsibility to protect the citizenry of this nation. I'd say, he's doing a fine job of it. Is it asking too much to have other nations respect our laws? Come in legally and you'll have nothing to worry about. Try to come in illegally and you'll have the presence of the USA military to contend with.

Our Army runs around training all the time, seems to make sense for them to do it at the border.
Perhaps the border should be a mile wide Energy/Transportation Corridor/ Military base.
With Gift Shops.

fool

Hall of Fame
Look at what happened at the Mexican border. The 'caravan' became violent and broke through. I kind of doubt the same thing will occur at our border crossings. The 'caravans' will take a look at the US troops and hightail it back to their own country.

They're gonna squat in front of the border crossing until they get free stuff.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Crossing the Border without inspection is a misdemeanor.

that may be so, but up here (i live a couple miles from the Canadian border) they take it very seriously

if i were to hop over to Gananaoque by boat (which I used to do all the time as a kid) and not check in, I could probably plan on not sleeping at home that night

ok doser

They're gonna squat in front of the border crossing until they get free stuff.

we'll give them squat! :sibbie:

:think: or how about this - every migrant turned away at the border gets to take home a complimentary black lives matter protester?

ok doser

We destabilized it so we could have cheap bananas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_Wars

I'm not saying that means we need to take the whole of Central America in as refugees but we do have some banana on our hands here.

maybe we should be more proactive about supporting repressive regimes (like duterte in the phillipines) that can deal harshly with the destabilizing elements in their societies - like gangs and drugs

WizardofOz

Poor people from Mexico and central America have been entering the US illegally for the simple reason that they are desperate for a better life . Conditions are terrible in these countries .
Poverty, lack of job opportunity, corrupt and abusive police in the control of corrupt leaders of these countries .
Civil wars , murderous drug dealers ho kill anyone who gets in their way , etc .
They know how dangerous it is to cross the border illegally and look for work , but they desperate people will do anything to try to get a better life .
But one thing the conservative media doesn't tell is this : the rate of illegals coming across the border is at its lowest point in decades , ad this happened under Obama's watch, not under Trump. Reports of an "invasion " of massive numbers of Mexican and hispanic "murderers, drug dealers and rapists " are nothing but right-wing propaganda .
The so-called "caravan " is a ragtag collection of poor, unarmed people ,including young children headed for the US border is not a "threat" to America in any way . Their numbers are shrinking and they may not even reach the border .
For Trump to send thousands of US troops to the border to "save " America from "evil Hispanic murderers and rapists " and lazy people who want to sponge off of our government was is idiotic, irresponsible and despicable pandering to mindless fear and hatred of hispanics in America .
What he's doing makes about as much sense as using a sledgehammer to swat a fly .

That's a nice word salad but I'm uncertain of your position. Should we allow them to cross illegally or not?

ok doser

This is about the most clueless thing you could possibly say. Do you not understand what these children are exposed to if the parents had stayed in their country?

seems likely that they'd be exposed to the same things that children are exposed to if their parents stay in their home country (let's pick Honduras for the sake of discussion)

but go ahead, tell me exactly, specifically what a child avoids by being dragged across Mexico that they would have encountered if they had stayed home in Honduras

feel free to link to news articles about horrible things happening to children in Honduras

Tinark

In which case we get to pay for their lawyer while we pay to house them while we prosecute them then pay to jail them and then send them back.

It's so much better in Saudi Arabia where the king can immediately decide the fate of any criminal without due process.

Tinark

seems likely that they're exposed to the same things that children are exposed to if their parents stay in their home country (let's pick Hionduras for the sake of discussion)

but go ahead, tell me exactly, specifically what a chlid avoids by being dragged across mexico that they would have encoungtered if they had stayed home in Honduras

feel free to link to news articles about horrible things happeneing to children in Honduras

A brief summary:

In Gang-Ridden Honduras, Growing Old is a Privilege, Not a Right

I arrived here to continue a project I had begun in 2015 documenting the mass migration of Hondurans making the perilous journey towards the United States. Time and time again, fleeing Honduran families explained in harrowing detail the precise moment when life in the country was no longer an option: An imminent threat against their lives at the whim of a dominant gang, a workplace shuttered by impossible extortion quotas imposed by sicarios, or simply being run out by the persistent crossfire in the city peripheries.

More detail in the article here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/relay....duras-gang-violence-migration-corruption-boys

Tinark

maybe we should be more proactive about supporting repressive regimes (like duterte in the phillipines) that can deal harshly with the destabilizing elements in their societies - like gangs and drugs

Where in the world are you getting the idea that these high crime countries aren't repressive in dealing with crime?

Honduras has increasingly militarized the fight against organized crime in recent years, granting soldiers policing powers in 2011 and creating an elite military police unit in 2013. President Hernández’s administration has deployed thousands of military police officers since 2014, which has reportedly fueled human rights violations, including kidnapping.

As of 2015, Honduras’ military, overseen by the National Defense Ministry, had around 24,000 active personnel in its army, air force, navy and military police. Under Honduras’ constitution, the Security Ministry can call on the military to cooperate in operations against terrorism and drug and arms trafficking. Military officials have been accused of colluding with criminal groups to traffic drugs.

https://www.insightcrime.org/honduras-organized-crime-news/honduras/

Tinark

and what skills and values will these people bring to our country? In what way will we benefit from their presence? Will they be a drain on our society or a benefit? Will they bring order or chaos?

Would they not be better served returning to their homelands and working to make them better?

isn't that why we send billions in foreign aid to central america, to prevent it from becoming destabilized?

In general, such immigrants are a benefit. They start companies at a greater rate than native born Americans and commit crime at a lower rate than native born Americans. Additionally, even the ones that take low skilled jobs are a benefit. They help places hit by hurricanes recover faster (recovery speed often limited by construction labor availability and construction costs). They also help keep food costs down when they take agricultural jobs, which helps the poor the most. Also, they tend to work a lot of hospitality jobs, making traveling and eating out cheaper.