Why be Catholic?

Jerry Shugart

Jerry, "Rome" teaches that "faith is not enough" to receive Holy Communion. Which is exactly what the Apostle Paul teaches too. It isn't enough. 1st Corinthians 11:28-29 (KJV)

Taking communion has nothing to do with salvation. The Lord Jesus made it plain that it was only wine which was taken and not His blood:

"And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom"
(Mt.26:27-29).​

Again, the Scriptures reveal that a person receives eternal life by faith alone and he will never perish! Rome denies this truth.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Taking communion has nothing to do with salvation.
Not nothing Jerry, but they are different things. Paul implores us to keep the Lord's table pure. No unbeliever, and no believer who has committed and not confessed grave sins, ought to celebrate the Eucharist.
. . . the Scriptures reveal that a person receives eternal life by faith alone and he will never perish!
Agreed.
Rome denies this truth.
No.

Jerry Shugart

Rome says that faith alone is not enough to obtain eternal life and not enough to remain saved. Rome teaches that submitting to the rite of water baptism is essential for salvation:

"Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word" (Catechism of the Catholic Church #1213).​

According to Paul and the Christians who were with him all that is needed to be saved is to believe in the Lord Jesus:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"
(Acts 16:30-31).​

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Rome says that faith alone is not enough to obtain eternal life and not enough to remain saved. Rome teaches that submitting to the rite of water baptism is essential for salvation:
"Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word" (Catechism of the Catholic Church #1213).​

According to Paul and the Christians who were with him all that is needed to be saved is to believe in the Lord Jesus:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"
(Acts 16:30-31).​
Faith alone saves. Faith alone is not enough to celebrate the Eucharist.

Jerry Shugart

Faith alone saves.

Rome teaches that submitting to the rite of water baptism is essential for salvation:

"Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word"
(Catechism of the Catholic Church #1213).​

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Rome teaches that submitting to the rite of water baptism is essential for salvation:

"Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word"
(Catechism of the Catholic Church #1213).
Because that's what the Bible says.

"Rome" also teaches:

God has bound salvation to the sacrament of Baptism, but he himself is not bound by his sacraments (Catechism of the Catholic Church #1257).​

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Which one is it? It cannot be both. First you said that Rome teaches that salvation is by faith alone. But now you are saying that submitting to the rite of baptism is also necessary.

You can't have it both ways!
Take it up with Paul. Galatians 3:26-27 (KJV)

WatchmanOnTheWall

I didn't realize you were talking about Jesus. I realize what you're saying about an eternity in Heaven vs Hell. But we only have one life, I doubt heavily in reincarnation, so with that one life we should enjoy it and push to enjoy it as much as possible. I don't want to waste my time going and listening to some guy talk to me. They're not special. They aren't made of fairy dust. How the **** does he know more about religion than me. He majored in theology and that's it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi finalpoet, yes it's all to do with Jesus and whether he rose supernaturally from the dead or not and to add to what Nihilo and others have said, here is a flow chart that explains the logic to why it really happened: http://creately.com/diagram/gzqv8c5z2/knxGs5iaraoQgyinDk3jxQMEYQA=

Bard_the_Bowman

I believe it can be assumed that the poster has been baptized as a Catholic as an infant.
Therefore, the poster is already a Catholic "Christian", washed of all original sin.

Whether finalpoet is Catholic or Protestant isn't even the point.

Any Catholic OR Protestant Christian father is going to tell his children that they need God in their lives and encourage them to seek Him. (or at least they should be doing that).

How a father goes about doing that could be questioned...but that he does it should be a given.

Peace.

Jerry Shugart

This is the baptism into Christ:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).

Of course the one body is the Body of Christ.

So which is it? Is a person saved by faith alone or must a person believe and submit to the rite of water baptism to be saved?

You can't have it both ways.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
This is the baptism into Christ:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit" (1 Cor.12:13).

Of course the one body is the Body of Christ.

So which is it? Is a person saved by faith alone or must a person believe and submit to the rite of water baptism to be saved?

You can't have it both ways.
My answer stands. Take it up with Paul. Galatians 3:26-27 (KJV)

Jerry Shugart

My answer stands. Take it up with Paul. Galatians 3:26-27 (KJV)

I already have. According to him a person is saved by faith alone (Acts 16:30-31).

But Rome teaches that faith by itself is not enough. Rome teaches that no one is saved until they believe and submit to the rite of water baptism.

It seems to me that your final authority is not the Bible but instead Rome.

beameup

Whether finalpoet is Catholic or Protestant isn't even the point.

Any Catholic OR Protestant Christian father is going to tell his children that they need God in their lives and encourage them to seek Him. (or at least they should be doing that).

How a father goes about doing that could be questioned...but that he does it should be a given.

Peace.

The poster clearly indicated that he is from a devout Catholic family.
It is mandatory that a Catholic newborn be given a name and be baptized,
otherwise the infant goes to "Limbo" (a kind of hell for the unbaptized).
This is all standard Catholic doctrine from the Middle-Ages until present.
Whether he "seeks God" by attending Mass regularly is another matter. All
Catholics will endure "Purgatory" to some degree or another (depending upon
their personal choices during their life-time) prior to entering Heaven.

keypurr

I'm agnostic, I'm 25 and I still live at home because I'm recovering from a surgery. My family is extremely religious, Catholic. I haven't told anyone except friends my lack of religion because they're so extreme. My dad drags me to church every ****ing Sunday. And I'm very sick of hearing how I need god and I need to pray more. Such ******** and a waste of time.

I was an agnostic when I was younger. I believed that something started the Universe but what was it? There had to be a higher being too all that. While serving in the Navy, I spent many hours with a Seventh Day Adventist. He was teacher. He got me into a deep study in the books of Daniel and Revelations. It made me think that the Bible just might be the word of God. I started looking at many churches then. When I fell in love I married a Lutheran. I was very involved with the church. I was brought up as a Baptist.

You friend must satisfy your mind that there is a God before you can accept any religion or Holy Books. I understand your frustration with folks, friends and relations, who just can not see that what was good enough for them is not the same for you. You must walk in your own shoes friend. If you walk in theirs they will pinch.

God bless and good luck in seeking truth.

Sent from my iPad using TOL

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
The entire thing is fake. At least probably. I have no reason to believe in god.

Not wanting to be a Catholic is understandable, but not believing in God is incredulous!

The best you are able to personally deny is the afterlife, is that it?