Who was 1 Peter written to?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No matter what they are called, one is either in Christ or not. Here they are called disciples. Are they not believers and Christians?

Matt. 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
Believers yes, and believers in Jesus as the Christ (Messiah) yes. But called Christians I am uncertain. I do not know if geography was involved in this, but the disciples were not originally or at first called Christians until a time at Antioch, a place where Paul was present. Peter saw Gentiles come to Christ first, but Peter also ministered to those who were circumcised.

Romans 15:8 NASB - 8 For I say that Christ has become a servant to the circumcision on behalf of the truth of God to confirm the promises given to the fathers,

Galatians 2:7-9 NASB - 7 But on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised 8 (for He who effectually worked for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised effectually worked for me also to the Gentiles), 9 and recognizing the grace that had been given to me, James and Cephas and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, so that we might go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

Therefore it is interesting to ask who wrote 1 Peter.

1 Peter 1:1 NASB - 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen

1 Peter 2:11-12 NASB - 11 Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. 12 Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

1 Peter 4:3 NASB - 3 For the time already past is sufficient for you to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries.

turbosixx

Believers yes, and believers in Jesus as the Christ (Messiah) yes. But called Christians I am uncertain. I do not know if geography was involved in this, but the disciples were not originally or at first called Christians until a time at Antioch, a place where Paul was present. Peter saw Gentiles come to Christ first, but Peter also ministered to those who were circumcised.

Romans 15:8 NASB - 8 For I say that Christ has become a servant to the circumcision on behalf of the truth of God to confirm the promises given to the fathers,

Galatians 2:7-9 NASB - 7 But on the contrary, seeing that I had been entrusted with the gospel to the uncircumcised, just as Peter had been to the circumcised 8 (for He who effectually worked for Peter in his apostleship to the circumcised effectually worked for me also to the Gentiles), 9 and recognizing the grace that had been given to me, James and Cephas and John, who were reputed to be pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, so that we might go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.

Therefore it is interesting to ask who wrote 1 Peter.

1 Peter 1:1 NASB - 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen

1 Peter 2:11-12 NASB - 11 Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. 12 Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

1 Peter 4:3 NASB - 3 For the time already past is sufficient for you to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries.

Although we see different labels, are they one in Christ?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Although we see different labels, are they one in Christ?
There is no distinction between Jew and Gentile in Christ.

My point was that Peter was not writing to people who lived in Israel.

But can a believer be a Jew or a believer be a Gentile?

turbosixx

There is no distinction between Jew and Gentile in Christ.

My point was that Peter was not writing to people who lived in Israel.

But can a believer be a Jew or a believer be a Gentile?

Christ is not divided and believers are Christians no matter what they were before.

Look at Paul condemning Peter for showing distinction in Christ between Jew and Gentile and applying that separation that the old law demanded. Paul is calling people by what they were formally so he can point out the problem.

11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For prior to the coming of certain men from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles (no distinction); but when they came, he began to withdraw and hold himself aloof, fearing the party of the circumcision. 13 The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?
15 "We are Jews by nature(OT God's people) and not sinners from among the Gentiles (OT not God's people); 16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus(saved), even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified(sinner/lost). 17 But if, while seeking to be justified in Christ(Faith), we ourselves have also been found sinners(Old Law because it can't save), is Christ then a minister of sin? May it never be! 18 For if I rebuild what I have once destroyed, I prove myself to be a transgressor. 19 For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Christ is not divided and believers are Christians no matter what they were before.

Look at Paul condemning Peter for showing distinction in Christ between Jew and Gentile and applying that separation that the old law demanded. Paul is calling people by what they were formally so he can point out the problem.

11 But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. 12 For prior to the coming of certain men from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles (no distinction); but when they came, he began to withdraw and hold himself aloof, fearing the party of the circumcision. 13 The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. 14 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Cephas in the presence of all, "If you, being a Jew, live like the Gentiles and not like the Jews, how is it that you compel the Gentiles to live like Jews?
15 "We are Jews by nature(OT God's people) and not sinners from among the Gentiles (OT not God's people); 16 nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus(saved), even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified(sinner/lost). 17 But if, while seeking to be justified in Christ(Faith), we ourselves have also been found sinners(Old Law because it can't save), is Christ then a minister of sin? May it never be! 18 For if I rebuild what I have once destroyed, I prove myself to be a transgressor. 19 For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 21 I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."

Righteousness doesn't come by the Law. Is it true that a person could never be saved by observing the Law (OT)?

Peter's problem wasn't that he kept the Law, but that even in that he didn't he would imply to the Gentile either that they were not saved, could not be saved, or were not included among the people of God, in that he withdrew fearing the party of the circumcision... which did compel the Gentiles (believers or unbelievers here?) to live like Jews (which is not a requirement in Christ). The problem was not in living like the Jews, but the hypocrisy of Peter created confusion. Meaning, observing God's Law is fine... but making it appear like you have to be a Jew to be saved or be called among God's people, justified, is communicating the wrong message.

1 Corinthians 7:18 NASB - 18 Was any man called when he was already circumcised? He is not to become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? He is not to be circumcised.

So this is my perspective.

Remember what Paul said here?

1 Corinthians 9:16-23 NASB - 16 For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for I am under compulsion; for woe is me if I do not preach the gospel. 17 For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. 18 What then is my reward? That, when I preach the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my right in the gospel. 19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

And here?

Philippians 3:3-16 NASB - 3 for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh, 4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless. 7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, 9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11 in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. 12 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you; 16 however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
By faith, no, by physical lineage, only.
If you are correct I can say it is difficult for me to understand.

There is no distinction or there is neither Jew or Gentile.

What is the commonwealth of Israel, and are all believers a part of it?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
If you are correct I can say it is difficult for me to understand.
Whats difficult to understand, if one is a christian they are no longer agnostic (gentile) and no longer a jew (practices judaism), but they are still jewish by lineage, or non jewish (gentile) by lineage.

There is no distinction or there is neither Jew or Gentile.

Correct, spiritually.

What is the commonwealth of Israel, and are all believers a part of it?
Both a nation and a people. Still. Its not finished yet.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Whats difficult to understand, if one is a christian they are no longer agnostic (gentile) and no longer a jew (practices judaism), but they are still jewish by lineage, or non jewish (gentile) by lineage.

Correct, spiritually.

Both a nation and a people. Still. Its not finished yet.
1 Corinthians 7:18-24 NASB - 18 Was any man called when he was already circumcised? He is not to become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? He is not to be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God. 20 Each man must remain in that condition in which he was called. 21 Were you called while a slave? Do not worry about it; but if you are able also to become free, rather do that. 22 For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord's freedman; likewise he who was called while free, is Christ's slave. 23 You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. 24 Brethren, each one is to remain with God in that condition in which he was called.

Ephesians 2:11-22 NASB - 11 Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called "Uncircumcision" by the so-called "Circumcision," which is performed in the flesh by human hands-- 12 remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. 17 AND HE CAME AND PREACHED PEACE TO YOU WHO WERE FAR AWAY, AND PEACE TO THOSE WHO WERE NEAR; 18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
1 Corinthians 7:18-24 NASB - 18 Was any man called when he was already circumcised? He is not to become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in uncircumcision? He is not to be circumcised. 19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God. 20 Each man must remain in that condition in which he was called. 21 Were you called while a slave? Do not worry about it; but if you are able also to become free, rather do that. 22 For he who was called in the Lord while a slave, is the Lord's freedman; likewise he who was called while free, is Christ's slave. 23 You were bought with a price; do not become slaves of men. 24 Brethren, each one is to remain with God in that condition in which he was called.

Ephesians 2:11-22 NASB - 11 Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called "Uncircumcision" by the so-called "Circumcision," which is performed in the flesh by human hands-- 12 remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. 17 AND HE CAME AND PREACHED PEACE TO YOU WHO WERE FAR AWAY, AND PEACE TO THOSE WHO WERE NEAR; 18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

Which shows what i said

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Please be more specific about what you are asking.
I believe Jesus did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but to fulfill.

Did He fulfill? Yes.

Is there anything left to fulfill? Or, is this now the wrong question to ask, as to fulfill may or may not refer to predictive Biblical prophecy, but to God's Law meaning His commands?

Ben Masada

Who was 1 Peter written to?

To the Jewish synagogues throughout the Asia Minor but not by Peter but by Paul. If you read 1 Peter 5:12, the letters were written by Silvanus the scribe of Paul. (II Cor. 1:19; I Thess. 1:1 and II Thess. 2:1) Paul would never allow his scribe to get dictation from an apostle of the circumcision. So, it is only obvious that Paul wrote it and the Fathers of the Church attributed it to Peter. This is sign of an ugly personality.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I believe Jesus did not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but to fulfill.

Did He fulfill? Yes.

Is there anything left to fulfill? Or, is this now the wrong question to ask, as to fulfill may or may not refer to predictive Biblical prophecy, but to God's Law meaning His commands?

There are many prophecies concerning Israel yet to be fulfilled.

Example: Revelation 1:7
"Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." So shall it be! Amen.

Do you believe this has already happened?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
To the Jewish synagogues throughout the Asia Minor but not by Peter but by Paul. If you read 1 Peter 5:12, the letters were written by Silvanus the scribe of Paul. (II Cor. 1:19; I Thess. 1:1 and II Thess. 2:1) Paul would never allow his scribe to get dictation from an apostle of the circumcision. So, it is only obvious that Paul wrote it and the Fathers of the Church attributed it to Peter. This is sign of an ugly personality.
1 Peter was written by Peter, so you are wrong.

1 Peter 1:1-2 NASB - 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen 2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There are many prophecies concerning Israel yet to be fulfilled.

Example: Revelation 1:7
"Look, he is coming with the clouds," and "every eye will see him, even those who pierced him"; and all peoples on earth "will mourn because of him." So shall it be! Amen.

Do you believe this has already happened?
The early church was Jewish, but even with the partial hardening that Paul talks about, Jews or Israelites have been coming to Christ since the beginning or are now coming to Christ which is something we know for certain even as some did reject Him.