Whiny Atheists

WizardofOz

I have noticed a growing trend among humanist organizations in their taking legal action against religious expression. I have created this thread in order to offer examples of this type of activism in an effort to expose the whiners and what they are whining about. Though most examples will be of whiny anti-theists rather than your run-of-the-mill atheist, the more prevalent word association told me it was better to title it as I did.

Feel free to post your own examples of atheists/anti-theists whining, even if it is a post from this forum. Some of our resident atheists have been known to whine as well.

This thread is in the politics sub-forum as it's not intended to debate theology but it will undoubtedly go there, which is fine with me.

A lot of what got me focused on this topic began with the organization called American Atheists joined with four New Yorkers to sue over a t-beam resembling a cross' inclusion in the WTC Memorial. A healthy debate ensured on TOL here.

Side note from that thread: Silent Hunter owes me a one month break but he did get a bit slippery with his Supreme Court requirement. I guess he wasn't as convinced as he made it seem. :p

If you're an atheist feel free to defend the action (or not) and explain why you feel it is justified (or not) to whine about these issues.

My 10,000 TOL post. Yay me. :cool:

WizardofOz

I had made a few posts on this subject in the "In Other News" thread.

One was about a humanist group called American Humanist Association threatening a school over a Christmas toy drive:

'
Kids, parents fight back after humanist group threatens another school over Christmas toy drive'​

source

When a national humanist organization threatened to sue SkyView Academy for collecting toys for needy children, students at the Colorado charter school decided to fight back.

Officials at SkyView Academy announced earlier this week that they were dropping its participation in Operation Christmas Child, a ministry of Samaritan’s Purse. The project involves stuffing toys, candy and hygiene items to disadvantaged children around the world.

But the American Humanist Association said the school’s participation in the program violated the U.S. Constitution and sent a letter demanding they cease and desist.

A small charter school in South Carolina received a similar letter last week and complied with the AHA’s demands.

Even though the project at SkyView was student-initiated and student-led, school officials determined they could not afford to pay for a court battle. The school’s board said they were disappointed by the humanists’ threats.

Kimberly Saviano, a member of Humanists of Colorado, defended the national organization’s attack on the school.

“The school was promoting it and they were using school resources to get it together,” she told the newspaper. “By promoting it during school time, it gives the air of authority to it, as if the administration endorses the religion.”

What a bunch of whiners. :allsmile:

:mock: American Humanist Association
:mock: Kimberly Saviano

WizardofOz

The other post was about a nativity scene at the Florida state capital:

Atheist display to counter Nativity scene at Florida Capitol​

source

Groups that advocate for the separation of religion and government say the display is on solid constitutional grounds because the state is not spending money on it and it has designated the Capitol rotunda as a public forum. A disclaimer was posted near the Nativity scene that said the state does not support or endorse the display, which is across the rotunda from a giant menorah that marks the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah.

And it's why the state is letting the Freedom From Religion Foundation to hang a banner with its views. The banner is expected to be hung Thursday. It will depict Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and the Statue of Liberty adoring the Bill of Rights placed in a crib typically used to depict Jesus and the Nativity scene.

"Let us also honor the birth of our Bill of Rights, which reminds us there can be no freedom OF religion without having freedom FROM religion in government," the banner reads in part. The group also has signs up to counter Nativity scenes in the Wisconsin and Illinois capitols that declare there are no gods, heaven or hell.

"We don't think there should be religion or irreligion in any state Capitol, but if they're going to start allowing religion and call it a public forum then certainly the non-religious point of view should be there, too," said Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Madison, Wisc.-based foundation.

Olsen said that's their right.

"The ACLU should be up here saying `Freedom of speech is what we fight for,"' Olsen said. "The atheists can come up and set up a table if they go through the permitting process and do the same thing."

While Simon said he thought the celebration at the Capitol was over the top, he did agree with Olsen.

"The state can create a public forum wherever it wants," Simon said. "From an ACLU point of view, the more speech the better."

And based on previous Supreme Court rulings, there are no constitutional issues that would prevent the display if sponsored by a private group, said David Barkey, the national religious freedom lawyer for the Anti-Defamation League.

"It's sounds like they're welcoming everybody. By welcoming everybody, if the Satanists want to put something up, they'd have to let the Satanists put something up. Sometimes it's, "Be careful for what you wish,"' Barkey said. "As long as they're applying neutral time, space and manner restrictions, it's kosher."

:dizzy:

It does come across as a mockery and not an actual celebration of anything. The Bill of Right in a nativity crib and signs/banners declaring there is no God or heaven or hell?

These people need to get a life or at least come up with a positive message. They come across like whiny children.

:mock:Freedom From Religion Foundation
:mock:Annie Laurie Gaylor

Anyone feel this is a worthwhile effort?

WizardofOz

Pledge of Allegiance challenged in Massachusetts Supreme Court​

article

thread

A family in suburban Boston hopes to change the phrasing of the Pledge of Allegiance to remove two words they claim violate students' rights.

The family is challenging the pledge, which students recite daily in U.S. public schools, claiming the words "under God" violate the state's equal rights laws.

The plaintiffs, who have requested anonymity through their lawyers, are taking an unconventional approach to challenging the pledge. Past cases argued the words “under God” violated the Constitution’s separation of church and state.

Congress added “under God” to the pledge in 1954.

This case, however, makes a different argument.

David Niose, former president of the American Humanist Association, and the plaintiffs' representative, opened his arguments Wednesday saying the pledge’s use of “under God” violates the Equal Rights Amendment of the Massachusetts Constitution and is an issue of discrimination.

Niose said the pledge’s repetitiveness in the public school system is indoctrinating and alienating to atheists.

“It validates believers as good patriots and it invalidates atheists as non-believers at best and unpatriotic at worst,” he said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...hallenged-in-massachusetts-supreme-court?lite

Thoughts?

WizardofOz

Atheists: Nobody Needs Christ at Christmas​

American Atheists launched a major billboard display on Tuesday that declares Christmas is better without the Christ. The huge 40′x40′ digital billboard is located in Times Square in Midtown Manhattan. Using motion graphics, the billboard proclaims, “Who needs Christ during Christmas?” A hand crosses out the word “Christ” and the word “NOBODY” appears. The display then says “Celebrate the true meaning of Xmas” and offers a series of cheery words: family, friends, charity, food, snow, and more. The commercial ends with a jovial “Happy Holidays!” from American Atheists and displays the organization’s website, atheists.org.“This season is a great time of year for a hundred reasons—none of them having to do with religion,” said American Atheists President David Silverman. “This year, start a new tradition: Don’t go to church. You hate it, it’s boring; you probably only go because you feel guilty or obligated. Instead, spend more time with your family and friends—or volunteer. There are better uses of your time and money.”

“Most people don’t care about any religious ties to the season because church and religion are not what Americans care about during this time of year—they care about family and friends and giving presents and food and having fun,” said Public Relations Director Dave Muscato. “Many so-called ‘Christmas’ traditions celebrated by Americans have nothing to do with Christianity. For example, the North Pole and Santa traditions come from Nordic and Germanic pagan traditions, and caroling, yule logs, mistletoe, holly wreaths all pre-date Christianity,”

source

Pathetic :down:

They state that "There are better uses of your time and money", yet they spend their money and efforts on a negative billboard campaign. Nothing ironic about that. :doh:

alwight

It's not always "whiny atheists", other religions will whine about other religions, such as that cross in San Diego:

"A veterans association that built a massive cross overlooking San Diego as part of a war memorial plans to fight a federal judge's order to tear it down, a lawyer for the group said on Friday..."
"...A group of plaintiffs, including the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America, then sued. The Ninth Circuit ruled that the dominance of the cross conveyed a message of government endorsement of religion."

Source

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
And of course we have the baker who was sued for not baking a cake for a same-sex wedding ceremony celebration (they were already married):

thread

article
They should have gone somewhere else.
Pathetic :down:

They state that "There are better uses of your time and money", yet they spend their money and efforts on a negative billboard campaign. Nothing ironic about that. :doh:
When I drive on the highway, every other billboard is one with a Christian message. The rest are for hotels, gas stations, fast food and strip clubs. Would be nice to see a billboard with a nice secular message every now and again.

The rest is just as petty and ridiculous as the "Family" organizations getting uppity over a TV show or a video game because it has a gay character.
Chair in all fairness your Nation is uniform in religion..

You said many times,, "these are our beliefs"

these are the fundamentals of ours and are under attack.

I thought the fundamentals of your beliefs had to do with faith in God and salvation through Jesus. Don't recall anything about billboards or nativity scenes in the Bible.

JosephR

They should have gone somewhere else.

When I drive on the highway, every other billboard is one with a Christian message. The rest are for hotels, gas stations, fast food and strip clubs. Would be nice to see a billboard with a nice secular message every now and again.

The rest is just as petty and ridiculous as the "Family" organizations getting uppity over a TV show or a video game because it has a gay character.

I thought the fundamentals of your beliefs had to do with faith in God and salvation through Jesus. Don't recall anything about billboards or nativity scenes in the Bible.

This Land my family and myself has fought and died. We will not give it up so easily.. Go conquer your own.

JosephR

So you have nothing and want to start a fight. Cute.

My family fought and died for this land too.

Ill see you there then.

I noticed you said you ,yourself have not fought.

I have.

And my brothers stand with me.

The only thing stopping a take over is the Americans in Uniform.

They will not betray our father.. Go where you came from.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Ill see you there then.

I noticed you said you ,yourself have not fought.

I have.

And my brothers stand with me.

The only thing stopping a take over is the Americans in Uniform.

They will not betray our father.. Go where you came from.

True, I have not served in the military. For what it's worth, my partner has served in Iraq and Afghanistan. As an Airborne Ranger. My uncle was in the Navy. My grandfather was in the Army and fought in WWII. He was at Pearl Harbour when it got hit. I can trace my family history back to the Revolutionary War.

But I want you to think about something here tough guy. I'm not the one demanding anyone leave. I'm not the one looking to pick a fight. You obviously have a problem with values this country was founded on.

JosephR

True, I have not served in the military. For what it's worth, my partner has served in Iraq and Afghanistan. As an Airborne Ranger. My uncle was in the Navy. My grandfather was in the Army and fought in WWII. He was at Pearl Harbour when it got hit. I can trace my family history back to the Revolutionary War.

But I want you to think about something here tough guy. I'm not the one demanding anyone leave. I'm not the one looking to pick a fight. You obviously have a problem with values this country was founded on.

We were founded on God,, fundi or Gnostic we believe in a Creator,,this is the basis you attack.

JosephR

Nope.

wrong again.

and wrong a 3rd time.

Were you not taught anything about liberty and freedom?

We dont read the same history books then.. you mean to deceive,,and I mean not to learn it.. I been there I was a Child of the Devil..

your ways to attack those of faith dont hold no more.