• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Where does the Bible teach that the earth is billions of years old?

Right Divider

Body part
Geneses does not state that the entire process took six days; it only states---
“God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.”

This discussion helps us pass the time of day but it cannot determine the intent or timeline of the events. On the sixth day God saw all that He had made not on how long it took Him to make it.

Genesis is not the only book of the Bible that comments on the creation.

Exo 20:9-11 KJV Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: (10) But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: (11) For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Exo 31:17 KJV It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

The Jewish work week is based on the days of creation.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
How long were the "YOWM" before the fourth YOWM when there was a Sun to govern??

24 hours. Why would they have been any different in length than the days after there was the sun?

Are you saying that there were no 24-hour periods of time before there was the sun?

Right Divider

Body part
24 hours. Why would they have been any different in length than the days after there was the sun?

Are you saying that there were no 24-hour periods of time before there was the sun?
I'm not so sure that they were exactly 24 hour days as we define them today. But they were pretty close. The earth's rotation did change quite a bit after the flood as the earth's diameter (and mass) was reduced, causing it to rotate more rapidly. This is why the length of the year changed from 360 days to ~365.2425

Bob Carabbio

"YOWM" can be, and is in various places, anything from a "non-specified amount of time" to a "Day" to an "Aeon". I Don't know for sure, what "YOWM" means before the existence of the sun, and neither do you in this case.

Right Divider

Body part
"YOWM" can be, and is in various places, anything from a "non-specified amount of time" to a "Day" to an "Aeon". I Don't know for sure, what "YOWM" means before the existence of the sun, and neither do you in this case.

When YOWM is used with "evening and morning", it's clearly talking about a normal day.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Why do you tie the meaning of the Hebrew word for "day" to the existence of the sun, when the Hebrew text makes no effort to do so, even going so far as to state "evening and morning, a day, the first"?

7djengo7

<NO ANSWER>
<NO ANSWER>

"YOWM" can be, and is in various places, anything from a "non-specified amount of time" to a "Day" to an "Aeon".

But, in Genesis 1, some amount of time is meant by it, in any case; no?

I Don't know for sure, what "YOWM" means before the existence of the sun, and neither do you in this case.

Wait, are you claiming to know that, in, say, Genesis 1:5, a 24-hour period cannot be/is not meant by it?

How long were the "YOWM" before the fourth YOWM when there was a Sun to govern??

Would you say that not one, or more, 24-hour period(s) of time could come to pass until after God had made the greater light to rule the day?

But, you're more than happy to say that at least one period of time you'd call an "Aeon" could/did come to pass before God had made the sun, no?

Would you say that one "Aeon" is longer than one 24-hour period?

If one "Aeon" is a period longer than one 24-hour period, and no 24-hour period could have come to pass until after God had made the sun, then how could one, or more "Aeons" have come to pass until after God had made the sun?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is to learn why you think the fact of God's making the sun on the fourth day somehow debars days one, two, and three (at least) from being, each, a 24-hour period, but that, somehow, each of those days can be a period of some length other than 24 hours--just so long as they're not 24-hour periods.

Bob Carabbio

[/SIZE]

Wait, are you claiming to know that, in, say, Genesis 1:5, a 24-hour period cannot be/is not meant by it?

Would you say that not one, or more, 24-hour period(s) of time could come to pass until after God had made the greater light to rule the day?

But, you're more than happy to say that at least one period of time you'd call an "Aeon" could/did come to pass before God had made the sun, no?

If one "Aeon" is a period longer than one 24-hour period, and no 24-hour period could have come to pass until after God had made the sun, then how could one, or more "Aeons" have come to pass until after God had made the sun?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is to learn why you think the fact of God's making the sun on the fourth day somehow debars days one, two, and three (at least) from being, each, a 24-hour period, but that, somehow, each of those days can be a period of some length other than 24 hours--just so long as they're not 24-hour periods.

What I said (that you ignored) was that the Bible doesn't SPECIFY in exact terms the exact meaning of "YOWM", and the word itself is non-specific. You want to believe in a 144 standard hour total creation cycle, from "In the beginning" to Adam and Eve. As an "O.E.C." I don't hang my hat on any Specific time period. You are totally incapable of changing my mind with the same 'ol argumant that I've heard for the last 60+ years. And obviously I'll not change yours. so I'll bow out, and you can have the last word.

Bob Carabbio

Why do you tie the meaning of the Hebrew word for "day" to the existence of the sun, when the Hebrew text makes no effort to do so, even going so far as to state "evening and morning, a day, the first"?

The sun and Moon were specifically stated to "Govern day and night". What "Governed it previously??? And "YOWM" doesn't specifically MEAN "Day" in Hebrew. It can mean any number of different chronological periods.

7djengo7

<NO ANSWER>
<NO ANSWER>
<NO ANSWER>
<NO ANSWER>
<NO ANSWER>
<NO ANSWER>

What I said (that you ignored) was that the Bible doesn't SPECIFY in exact terms the exact meaning of "YOWM", and the word itself is non-specific.

In other words, according to your view, the Bible is simply meaningless, in Genesis 1, where it says "day".

You want to believe in a 144 standard hour total creation cycle, from "In the beginning" to Adam and Eve.

Whereas you want to believe that, in Genesis 1, God uses the word "day" meaninglessly.

As an "O.E.C." I don't hang my hat on any Specific time period.

Which makes you a non-believer of Genesis 1 (at least).

You are totally incapable of changing my mind with the same 'ol argumant that I've heard for the last 60+ years.

You call the numerous questions I've asked you--not a single one of which you've answered--"the same old argument that I've heard for the last 60+ years"? Have you been forced to stonewall against those questions for the last 60+ years?

And obviously I'll not change yours.

Correct. I'll stick with the Biblical worldview.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

There was a light source. All we have to do is assume a rotating Earth for evenings and mornings.

​​​​​​Unless you're going to copy Barbarian and insist that mornings and evenings need to be defined by specifically sunlight. :chuckle:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"YOWM" can be, and is in various places, anything from a "non-specified amount of time" to a "Day" to an "Aeon".

Luckily we have context to differentiate between uses, as we do in English.

"Back in my day, there was a day..."

I Don't know for sure, what "YOWM" means before the existence of the sun, and neither do you in this case.
"I don't like this tiger. He reads minds."

The text is explicit: "Evening and morning" were one day. There was a light source, there was evening and morning. As long as the Earth was rotating pretty much as it is today,