ECT When We Fail to See - The Mystery Given to Paul

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good evenin', friends.

If we pause for a moment to reflect on the things of God, and we ask ourselves the following question...

"Did someone at sometime know what Christ Jesus told Paul?

...How do we then answer this conundrum?

If we open up the Good Book and turn to Colossians 1:26, we find ourselves reading something very interesting and of great import:

even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations; but now is made manifest to his saints

Some distinction must needs be made as to the difference between a period of time and a dispensation. The word "ages" in the verse above gives reference to periods of time. A dispensation is not a period of time...

Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfill the word of God;
(Colossians 1:25 KJV)

"Generations" is a word that here refers to all the people in time.

Why is this important? The mystery given to Paul was hidden from all time (i.e. ages) and all people (i.e. generations) since the world was created.

When we fail to see that the likes of Moses, Isaiah, David and Peter did not in fact know what was given by Christ to Paul, then confusion ensues and crazy ideas breed and fester. In other words, the danger is in attributing to those godly men what they did not know.

Why does this matter?

Much of the division, theological contention, and Biblical heresies in Christianity result from the failure to see what was hid.

This is why the greatest commission God gives to the body is through Paul "to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ" (Ephesians 3:9 KJV).

We must follow the pattern that the Lord provided through Paul. If we don't...if we fail to rightly divide the Word...we are in grave danger of having one foot in hell and the other on a banana peel.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, it diminishes the preaching of the cross for salvation.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, it exchanges the power of resurrection for personal works-based salvation.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we are robbed of spiritual riches in the Lord Jesus Christ.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we perpetuate gross ignorance of God's will for us.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we weaken the Body of Christ by putting the church under the law, which was identified with Israel, in conditional standing with God.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we try to earn grace.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we create a forgiveness that is based on merit.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we try to crucify ourselves for the sins of mankind instead of trusting God's finished work.

"Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me." -Paul, speaking in truth...

drbrumley

Good evenin', friends.

If we pause for a moment to reflect on the things of God, and we ask ourselves the following question...

If we open up the Good Book and turn to Colossians 1:26, we find ourselves reading something very interesting and of great import:

Some distinction must needs be made as to the difference between a period of time and a dispensation. The word "ages" in the verse above gives reference to periods of time. A dispensation is not a period of time...

Why is this important? The mystery given to Paul was hidden from all time (i.e. ages) and all people (i.e. generations) since the world was created.

When we fail to see that the likes of Moses, Isaiah, David and Peter did not in fact know what was given by Christ to Paul, then confusion ensues and crazy ideas breed and fester. In other words, the danger is in attributing to those godly men what they did not know.

Why does this matter?

Much of the division, theological contention, and Biblical heresies in Christianity result from the failure to see what was hid.

This is why the greatest commission God gives to the body is through Paul "to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ (Ephesians 3:9 KJV).

We must follow the pattern that the Lord provided through Paul. If we don't...if we fail to rightly divide the Word...we are in grave danger of having one foot in hell and the other on a banana peel.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, it diminishes the preaching of the cross for salvation.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, it exchanges the power of resurrection for personal works-based salvation.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we are robbed of spiritual riches in the Lord Jesus Christ.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we perpetuate gross ignorance of God's will for us.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we weaken the Body of Christ by putting the church under the law, which was identified with Israel, in conditional standing with God.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we create a forgiveness that is based on merit.

When we fail to follow Paul and the Gospel for today, we try to crucify ourselves for the sins of mankind instead of trusting God's finished work.

Awesome o.p. :up:

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jerry Shugart

What specifically is the "mystery" spoken of in this passage?:

"Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith"
(Ro.16:25-26).​

Thanks!

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Good evenin', friends.

Why does this matter?

This is why the greatest commission God gives to the body is through Paul "to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ" (Ephesians 3:9 KJV).

34ca65498a630274abfe5170322eef8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

God's finished work?

Has God retired or is he still working?

Interplanner

Good evenin', friends.

Why does this matter?

The mystery wasn't that God was going to eventually reach the nations; that was 'known from ancient times' (Acts 15 quoting Amos 9). THe mystery of the Eph-Col-Rom 16 usage is that of Eph 3:6: that the co-citizenship, the sharing of promises, is THROUGH the Gospel, not through the Law as Judaism thought. The idea it was through the Law was part of how Judaism replaced the Promise with the Law, Gal 3:17.

Interplanner

"Now to him who is able to establish you in accordance with my gospel, the message I proclaim about Jesus Christ, in keeping with the revelation of the mystery hidden for long ages past, but now revealed and made known through the prophetic writings by the command of the eternal God, so that all the Gentiles might come to the obedience that comes from faith"

Thanks!

This is is the same as Eph-Col (Eph 3:6). It is not the same as the end of Rom 11 about why Israel does not have as much faith as we might expect.

By the way, the reason we know this mystery is not God reaching the nations is that there is nothing difficult about seeing that in the OT. But it is difficult to see that the OT prophets are talking of Christ in many cases, not Israel. In fact, that is a standard snag right here on TOL ECT.

DAN P

This is is the same as Eph-Col (Eph 3:6). It is not the same as the end of Rom 11 about why Israel does not have as much faith as we might expect.

By the way, the reason we know this mystery is not God reaching the nations is that there is nothing difficult about seeing that in the OT. But it is difficult to see that the OT prophets are talking of Christ in many cases, not Israel. In fact, that is a standard snag right here on TOL ECT.

Hi and it is ONLY Paul that says in Eph 3:9 was , never UTTERED by the 12 , were they ??

You still have a promblem to explain how Paul was saved in Acts 9:6 , so admit it and move on !!

Answer is no !!

dan p

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Good thread, VegasCowboy.

Israel was promised things that no Gentile nations were promised.

The prophesies in the OT was that Gentiles could come to the LORD by joining with Israel during their promised restoration and exaltation (Israel's rise).

There was no prophesy of Gentiles flocking to the promised land to worship GOD through Israel's fall.
This would be something new that was never taught before.

In other words, what was not kept secret was Gentiles coming through the rise of Israel.
What was kept secret (until Paul) was Gentiles coming to GOD through the fall of Israel.

Romans 11:11-12 KJV
(11) I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their [Israel] fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
(12) Now if the fall of them [Israel] be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

Danoh

The teaching by some that if not for the Mystery in Ephesians, we Gentiles this side of Ephesians would have had no hope, is a huge error.

It is basically the mark of incompetence in such.

For the Mystery was not in response to Israel's fall.

Rather, it was a planned in advance, going and getting some popcorn going during an equally planend in advance "pause for a word from our Sponsor" given not only one's intent but one's prior planning for said popcorn also, a purpose for said popcorn also planned way before said pause, to begin with.

Towards enjoying the fruit of having gotten said popcorn going, during said pause?

Towards enjoying it when?

Where?

From the comfort of Glory afterwhich said pause is lifted and Israel's 7 year "game" starts up again, where God left it at the end Acts 7 per 1 Thess. 2 and 2 Thess 2, etc.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Jerry Shugart

For the Mystery was not in response to Israel's fall.

Rather, it was a planned in advance, going and getting some popcorn going during an equally planend in advance "pause for a word from our Sponsor" given not only one's intent but one's prior planning for said popcorn also, a purpose for said popcorn also planned way before said pause, to begin with.

Towards enjoying the fruit of having gotten said popcorn going, during said pause?

Are you really under the illudsion that your words actually make sense?

Your ideas come out scrambled because your brain is scrambled!

Jerry Shugart

The only "mystery" we are to preach to unbelievers is the gospel which is according to the mystery and that mystery concerns the purpose of the Lord Jesus' death upon the Cross:

"But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom,which God ordained before the ages unto our glory; Which none of the princes of this age knew; for had they known it,they would not have crucified the Lord of glory" (1 Cor.2:7-8).​

If the princes of the age knew that the Lord Jesus' death was going to bring believers to God then they would havre never crucified Him: "Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God" (1 Pet.3:18).

Let us look at the following passage:

"Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Spirit sent down from heaven" (1 Pet.1:10-1).​

Here Peter is saying that the prophets searched diligently in an effort to determine what the prophecies concerning Christ's suffering did signify but it was not revealed unto them. Even the Twelve Apostles, those closest to the Lord Jesus, did not realize that He was going to die (Lk.18:31-34) or be resurrected (Jn.20:9).

Roger M. Raymer writes: "Concerning this salvation (cf. 'salvation' in vv. 5, 9) the prophets...searched intently and with the greatest care their own Spirit-guided writings. They longed to participate in this salvation and coming period of grace and tried to discover the appointed time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing. The pondered how the glorious Messiah could be involved in suffering" (Walvoord & Zuck, The Bible Knowledge Commentary; New Testament [ChariotVictor Publishing, 1983], p.842).

Interplanner

The only "mystery" we are to preach to unbelievers is the gospel which is according to the mystery and that mystery concerns the purpose of the Lord Jesus' death upon the Cross:

"But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom,which God ordained before the ages unto our glory; Which none of the princes of this age knew; for had they known it,they would not have crucified the Lord of glory" (1 Cor.2:7-8).​

If the princes of the age knew that the Lord Jesus' death was going to bring believers to God then they would havre never crucified Him: "Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God" (1 Pet.3:18).

Let us look at the following passage:

"Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Spirit sent down from heaven" (1 Pet.1:10-1).​

Here Peter is saying that the prophets searched diligently in an effort to determine what the prophecies concerning Christ's suffering did signify but it was not revealed unto them. Even the Twelve Apostles, those closest to the Lord Jesus, did not realize that He was going to die (Lk.18:31-34) or be resurrected (Jn.20:9).

Roger M. Raymer writes: "Concerning this salvation (cf. 'salvation' in vv. 5, 9) the prophets...searched intently and with the greatest care their own Spirit-guided writings. They longed to participate in this salvation and coming period of grace and tried to discover the appointed time and circumstances to which the Spirit of Christ in them was pointing. The pondered how the glorious Messiah could be involved in suffering" (Walvoord & Zuck, The Bible Knowledge Commentary; New Testament [ChariotVictor Publishing, 1983], p.842).

The I Cor 2 mystery is really saying that fact of his death was mysterious. it is not the one in Eph 3:5, Col and Rom 16.

You totally missed what your 1 Pet 1 quote said. It said it was revealed to them that the suffering would take place. But It was not their suffering, nor Israel's, but would happen in the time of Christ. Then the OT passages would help the NT believer/speaker/evangelist explain what took place in Christ. That use of them was God's plan all along.

On Lk 18, it is one thing not to know and another not to want to know (denial). The apostles were in denial. You can't deny something unless you know it is fact.

Jerry Shugart

Interplanner;5186077You totally missed what your 1 Pet 1 quote said. It said it [I said:
was[/I] revealed to them that the suffering would take place.

No, the didn't understand what the suffering of the Lord Jesus signified.

Danoh

Thanks!

Sheesh!

:chuckle:

Paul has just finished doing what he asserts in Romans 1 and in Romans 15 he has set out to do - he has basically laid out in much fuller descriptions, those various truths in Romans meant to more firmly root and ground the Body member in - in the various doctrines of this Mystery Age Grace Dispensation.

He does just that.

He then leaves them with all this that he has laid out and by which God is of power to stablish the Body member, towards said Body member's ending up a firmly grounded Body member.

Romans is that "spiritual gift" he mentions having wanted to give unto them in person, in Romans 1.

Thus, the end of Romans concerning this Mystery Age Grace of God among the Gentiles through Paul's prophetic (God's spokesperson) preaching, teaching, and writings...

They were Body members.

As he makes obvious once more in Romans 15, they already had much of Romans.

He wrote them towards filling out those aspects only he could have gone into at great length on...

So he ends on those notes...which, not surprisingly, is much like his words to the Body in 1 Cor. 12 and in Eph. 4, and so on.

Romans 15:1 We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves. 15:2 Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.

15:3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.

15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

15:5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus: 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

15:7 Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.

15:13 Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

15:14 And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.

15:15 Nevertheless, brethren, I have written the more boldly unto you in some sort, as putting you in mind, because of the grace that is given to me of God, 15:16 That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

And so on...

Then, continuing on that same basic flow of his thought, we read his summary of all that - of this Mystery Grace he has been growing them up in the much fuller knowledge of...

Romans 16:24 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, 16:26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith: 16:27 To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

Again, why that end?

Another reason being that it will later tie in nicely to its sequel - Ephesians.

Ephesians will build on Romans 8.

Also, Paul had been growing more and more unsure of what awaited him as Acts comes to an end, so he begins to emphasize more his writings, over his actual presence.

In the end, his writings ending up as God had intended them - the very power by which God would continue to not only save men, but to also then establish them in Body truth in, for, and during, this Mystery Age Grace Dispensation...long after "our beloved brother Paul" himself, had gone home to the Lord...

Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 8:32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

AMAZING Grace...indeed.

In memory of Rom. 5: 6-8 - in each our stead.

DAN P

Good evenin', friends.

Why does this matter?

Hi and here is how many cloud Paul's message !!

They quote Eph 3:5 where it mentions Apostles and PROPHETS and to these people it means the 12 Apostles , which it does NOT !!

They refuse to believe that the B O C was BEFORE / PRO when 2 Tim 1:9 says we were Called , not by Works , and called by Grace , BEFORE / PRO times related to the AGES or BEFORE / PRO the over THROW OF THE WORLD , in Eph 1:4 !!

That is why DISPENSATIONALIST are SPLIT into Acts 7 , 9 , 11 , 13 and 28 !~

dan p

Jerry Shugart

Thus, the end of Romans concerning this Mystery Age Grace of God among the Gentiles through Paul's prophetic (God's spokesperson) preaching, teaching, and writings...

Are you really this dense?

There is no such thing as an "age" of grace because all the saved people down through history have been saved by grace.

You don't even understand the most basic things about salvation.