What Would Be The Essential Components of Ensuring Eternal Life in Heaven.

Hoping

Banned
How can you be sure you are not born of bad seed? Is it because you have examined yourself and found yourself perfect?
I have endured faithfully for this long, and with God's many gifts, I will prevail until my end.

Hoping

Banned
Are there Christians, unlike you obviously, who will not remain faithful like you?
There are already several that haven't endured that were written of in the bible.
Ananias and Sapphira were the first two that we know of.
Do you think about yourself, like Peter once thought about himself, that you would never deny the Lord?
Yes.
And I am grateful to God for the gifts Peter didn't have to remain true to his profession.
Did Peter prove he was born of bad seed because he denied the Lord?
Yes, but after his conversion I hope better for him.
Jesus said..."But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou (Peter) art converted, strengthen thy brethren." (Luke 22:32)

Jenkins

I'm not sure the distinctions you see. Even if you are born again can you still fall away from the Lord while you remain unsaved?

1 Corinthians 10:12
Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
Big issue. I believe the actual Text states that all to be required for one to receive Eternal Life which cannot be removed is to thoroughly believe Divine Jesus Christ sacrificed His human life, shed His Blood, and raised Himself to Life.

Commitment, confession of sins, loyalty, good deeds, knowing the Scripture, loving other people, avoiding further sin, and attending Church in no manner attains, keeps, or verifies Salvation. Rather, these things are rewarded to Christians in addition to the gift of Eternal Life.

Hoping

Banned
I'm saved. I have no need to "display the results" of my faith. God knows my faith in Christ.
Need? Display that faith by your deeds.
Your puffed up insults are sin. If you were saved, you would know it.
It wasn't meant to be an insult.
I am converted, and hope to remain faithful until the day of judgement.
It is written..."For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" (1 Peter 4:17)

Right Divider

Body part
Need? Display that faith by your deeds.
You're very confused.
It wasn't meant to be an insult.
I am converted, and hope to remain faithful until the day of judgement.
It is written..."For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" (1 Peter 4:17)
Salvation is not about "being converted".

The "house of God" that Peter was talking about was Israel.

Hoping

Banned
You're very confused.
I disagree.
Salvation is not about "being converted".
All the saved will be converts.
The "house of God" that Peter was talking about was Israel.
I trow not, as in context it is written..."Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.
17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" (1 Peter 4:16-17)
The "us" are those that have, and do obey, the gospel of God.
As we are the temple of God in this New Testament, I feel you may have missed Peter's intended audience.
Don't you obey the gospel of God?
(I sure hope your answer is "Yes".)

Hoping

Banned
Confusion reigns with you.
There is no confusion involved in serving God.
In fact, it is written..."But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." (2 Cor 11:3)

If a man is not serving God, who is he serving?

Right Divider

Body part
There is no confusion involved in serving God.
In fact, it is written..."But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." (2 Cor 11:3)

If a man is not serving God, who is he serving?
You clearly do not understand the simplicity that is in Christ.

Old Hat

I disagree. In fact, it seems to me that you are mixing a bit of law in with grace. If you love God or your neighbor because there's a list of rules on the wall that says to do so, you've missed the entire point of Paul's gospel of grace.

Jesus was teaching the law. He was born under the law, obeyed the law and taught others to do the same. But when Israel, the people of the law, were cut off, the law was done away with for righteousness sake. You DO NOT need the law! In fact, the law is there is kill you, not save you. It's purpose is to convict not redeem. You don't need 600 commandments, you don't need 10 commandments, you don't need 2 commandments! You need NO commandments! The curse of the law has been lifted and we who are in Christ are now restored to a position likened to Adam in the Garden of God in that just as Adam was not to partake of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, we are not to partake of the law.

Should we love God and our neighbor? Of course! But not because Moses, nor Jesus, nor even the Father Himself commands it. A proper love for God, our neighbor and ourselves comes as a result of salvation and is not requisite to it.

Clete

The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil

I have observed a very interesting thing about all those who I have come across who say exactly what you said, here, Clete.

Do you even realize you do so hypocritically? I mean no offense at all, but most aren't even aware of their hypocrisy when they preach/teach against obeying the 10 Commandments while they themselves are obeying 9 of them every day.

Every half-decent professed Christian obeys NINE of the 10 Commandments, but is taught ad nauseum by churches and all mainstream churchianity NOT to obey the 10 Commandments.

On the contrary, the 10 Commandments were the only Commandments God spoke aloud on Mt. Sinai. They are the only Commandments that He Himself wrote in Stone. Jesus obeyed all of them and we are told in 1 John 2:6 to live our lives as Jesus lived His.

We are also told in 1 John 3:4 that the very definition of sin is the breaking of the 10 Commandments.

Thus, we have a real conundrum here, don't we?

1. We have the vast majority of Christians obeying all but the 4th Commandment and expecting all others to do the same.
2. We have all those same Christians demanding that Christians NOT obey the 10 Commandments.
3. We have literally countless Scriptures that support the Biblical concept of obedience to the Commandments.
4. We have the Bible telling us to obey as Jesus obeyed. (All 10 Commandments)
5. We have the Bible telling us that the very definition of sin is the breaking of said Commandments.
6. We have verses from prior to the giving of the Commandments on Sinai - all the way into Revelation - that tell us to obey the Commandments.

It sure sounds to me like somebody has really dropped the ball in keeping mainstream Christendom on par with the actual teachings of Scripture.

Wouldn't you say?

(Ssshhhhh .... and I don't think that was any accident, either.)

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I have observed a very interesting thing about all those who I have come across who say exactly what you said, here, Clete.

Do you even realize you do so hypocritically? I mean no offense at all, but most aren't even aware of their hypocrisy when they preach/teach against obeying the 10 Commandments while they themselves are obeying 9 of them every day.

Every half-decent professed Christian obeys NINE of the 10 Commandments, but is taught ad nauseum by churches and all mainstream churchianity NOT to obey the 10 Commandments.
Ad nauseam!? I don't think so!

I have attended church my entire life. I used to watch "Christian" television on virtually a daily basis and have intentionally studied the various doctrines that differ from one Christian church to another. In short, in one way or another, I've been exposed to dozens of various flavors of Christianity and I have experience one single church, one single solitary congregation, that consistently teaches that we aught not obey the law and more specifically, that we do not need the Ten Commandments. Not even one of them, never mind nine.

On the contrary, the 10 Commandments were the only Commandments God spoke aloud on Mt. Sinai. They are the only Commandments that He Himself wrote in Stone. Jesus obeyed all of them and we are told in 1 John 2:6 to live our lives as Jesus lived His.
On this much we agree. Jesus came to the People of the Law, He was born under the law, He obeyed the Law and taught others to do the same.

We are also told in 1 John 3:4 that the very definition of sin is the breaking of the 10 Commandments.
Which was quite true for Jews who were under the covenant of law. John was called while under the law and was saved under the law and he remained under the law until his natural death. "For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable." (Rom. 11:29)

Thus, we have a real conundrum here, don't we?
Got a mouse in your pocket?

I have no conundrum whatsoever, although I see yours very very clearly. It's effortless resolution is one of the most eloquently powerful arguments in favor of my doctrine that I think is possible for the mind of man to formulate.

1. We have the vast majority of Christians obeying all but the 4th Commandment and expecting all others to do the same.
2. We have all those same Christians demanding that Christians NOT obey the 10 Commandments.
False to the point of delusion. Besides me, who have you ever heard tell you not to obey the Ten Commandments? Practically every Christian I've ever met keeps a list of the Ten Commandments hanging on a wall somewhere in their own house, for crying out loud. The Ten Commandments are ubiquitous throughout Christianity.

3. We have literally countless Scriptures that support the Biblical concept of obedience to the Commandments.
I don't know about countless but I agree, it is a lot.

4. We have the Bible telling us to obey as Jesus obeyed. (All 10 Commandments)
The bible is a big book, most of which was written to Israel.

5. We have the Bible telling us that the very definition of sin is the breaking of said Commandments.
Again, written to believing members of the nation of Israel.

6. We have verses from prior to the giving of the Commandments on Sinai - all the way into Revelation - that tell us to obey the Commandments.
Not all! There's one glaring exception. An exception, without which, you'd be a Messianic Jew.

It sure sounds to me like somebody has really dropped the ball in keeping mainstream Christendom on par with the actual teachings of Scripture.
It's laughable that you think mainstream Christianity teaches not to obey the Ten Commandments. I can't fathom where you got such a notion.

Wouldn't you say?
I would say that you've missed a major plot twist in the story of the New Testament.

(Ssshhhhh .... and I don't think that was any accident, either.)
I have no idea what that means.

Answer me a question.....

Why Paul?

Jesus had personally trained apostles already on the job. They had been given the great commission to go to the whole world by Jesus Himself and the Holy Spirit had been given to all twelve on Pentecost (a Jewish feast day, by the way) including the newly chosen Matthias. So where is the need for Paul?

Clete

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Where did @Old Hat go?

He started the most interesting doctrinal conversation I've seen in weeks and then disappeared! :(

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Where did @Old Hat go?

He started the most interesting doctrinal conversation I've seen in weeks and then disappeared! :(

I'm wondering if I scared him off with my posts in the last thread he responded to...