What is the express image of God?

StanJ

Say what you want Stan, no one really cares. You have displayed your ignorance of scripture over and over again and again. Even the trins see your folly.

It never ceases to amaze me how out of touch you are with reality and scripture keypurr.

StanJ

I could tell you a lot of things that would amaze you Stan, but you think you know it all now so there is no room for growth.

Self aggrandizement keypurr....nothing else. You like to sound knowledgeable but we (or at least MOST of us) KNOW better.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
easy on the frosting........

easy on the frosting........

Self aggrandizement keypurr....nothing else. You like to sound knowledgeable but we (or at least MOST of us) KNOW better.

Could be just a tad? ;)

At this point the argument is circular,....going no-where?

Just accept you have a different concept and understanding about the 'image' of God, a different 'Christology', etc. that's it. When it comes down to a school-yard brawl, or a "my 'view' or 'belief' is right, yours in wrong" CONTEST,...it narrows down to an ego-match, nearing 'petty'...and if allowed to descend further....quenches the Spirit and becomes 'food' for dark forces, instead of seeds for the Holy Spirit.

No matter how you slice it,....its still 'God' as the source of his perfect image (and all successive images), and 'Christ' is the image of the invisible 'God'....manifesting in the person of Jesus, expressing thru the life of Jesus. There you have it. - anything else you can 'tack' on or 'presuppose' is just icing on the cake. You know what too much frosting can do,....just a bunch of empty calories :)

pj

StanJ

Just accept you have a different concept and understanding about the 'image' of God, a different 'Christology', etc. that's it. When it comes down to a school-yard brawl, or a "my 'view' or 'belief' is right, yours in wrong" CONTEST,...it narrows down to an ego-match, nearing 'petty'...and if allowed to descend further....quenches the Spirit and becomes 'food' for dark forces, instead of seeds for the Holy Spirit.

No matter how you slice it,....its still 'God' as the source of his perfect image (and all successive images), and 'Christ' is the image of the invisible 'God'....manifesting in the person of Jesus, expressing thru the life of Jesus. There you have it. - anything else you can 'tack' on or 'presuppose' is just icing on the cake. You know what too much frosting can do,....just a bunch of empty calories :)

That is an understatement pj. I'm well aware of that but unlike you, most Christians defend what the Bible teaches because we believe it is God who inspired it. It is our sole arbitrator(for most of us), however many only accept what they agree with, and not ALL of it. Paul stated very clearly and IMO emphatically that ALL scripture is God breathed.
Christians will NEVER fully understand God, we see darkly as in a mirror, as Paul wrote in 1Cor 13:12, but one day we will KNOW all.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
To be blunt, the "express image" of God changes through time. The divine or the sacred is always mediated through a particular culture or tribe. And it always serves as a meaningful response to a person or group's unique concerns.

StanJ

To be blunt, the "express image" of God changes through time. The divine or the sacred is always mediated through a particular culture or tribe. And it always serves as a meaningful response to a person or group's unique concerns.

The meaning to some may, but the clear message from a properly exegeted scripture does NOT.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Malachi 3:6 Modern English Version (MEV)

6 For I am the Lord, I do not change; therefore you, O sons of Jacob, are not consumed.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The meaning to some may, but the clear message from a properly exegeted scripture does NOT.
You are making me confused.

A potter, an eagle, an old woman, Father, a storm, wind and many other "express images" for God are listed in the Bible.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
gather you under my wings.......

gather you under my wings.......

A potter, an eagle, an old woman, Father, a storm, wind and many other "express images" for God are listed in the Bible.

Don't forget a 'mother hen' ;)

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Passage plays........

Passage plays........

Ahah! Ever notice that passage does not define what kind of Dove?
Oops, I mean, bird? :crackup: :)

Its one of my fave passages actually, which might have been 'borrowed' from an inter-testamental text ( 2 Esdras 1:30)...but not sure which came first.

I think 'God' as our 'mother hen' is a wonderful metaphor ;)

I also honor and respect 'God' as our 'Divine Mother', which I've expounded upon elsewhere here,....respecting the divine feminine.
'God' is just not our 'Father',....but 'Mother' as well.

pj

StanJ

Don't blame me for YOU being confused.

Metaphorical descriptions of God do not mean that is what He is, but the Greek words χαρακτήρ (charaktēr) & ὑπόστασις (hypostasis), rendered as "the EXACT representation of His NATURE", are not.

If you don't get this key description then you fail at recognizing our one true God just like keypurr and daqq do.

daqq

Its one of my fave passages actually, which might have been 'borrowed' from an inter-testamental text ( 2 Esdras 1:30)...but not sure which came first.

I think 'God' as our 'mother hen' is a wonderful metaphor ;)

From there we learn that the quail are a sign, a token, even a metaphor:

2 Esdras 1:15-30 KJV
15 Thus saith the Almighty Lord, The quails were as a token to you; I gave you tents for your safeguard: nevertheless ye murmured there,
16 And triumphed not in my name for the destruction of your enemies, but ever to this day do ye yet murmur.
17 Where are the benefits that I have done for you? when ye were hungry and thirsty in the wilderness, did ye not cry unto me,
18 Saying, Why hast thou brought us into this wilderness to kill us? it had been better for us to have served the Egyptians, than to die in this wilderness.
19 Then had I pity upon your mournings, and gave you manna to eat; so ye did eat angels' bread.
20 When ye were thirsty, did I not cleave the rock, and waters flowed out to your fill? for the heat I covered you with the leaves of the trees.
21 I divided among you a fruitful land, I cast out the Canaanites, the Pherezites, and the Philistines, before you: what shall I yet do more for you? saith the Lord.
22 Thus saith the Almighty Lord, When ye were in the wilderness, in the river of the Amorites, being athirst, and blaspheming my name,
23 I gave you not fire for your blasphemies, but cast a tree in the water, and made the river sweet.
24 What shall I do unto thee, O Jacob? thou, Juda, wouldest not obey me: I will turn me to other nations, and unto those will I give my name, that they may keep my statutes.
25 Seeing ye have forsaken me, I will forsake you also; when ye desire me to be gracious unto you, I shall have no mercy upon you.
26 Whensoever ye shall call upon me, I will not hear you: for ye have defiled your hands with blood, and your feet are swift to commit manslaughter.
27 Ye have not as it were forsaken me, but your own selves, saith the Lord.
28 Thus saith the Almighty Lord, Have I not prayed you as a father his sons, as a mother her daughters, and a nurse her young babes,
29 That ye would be my people, and I should be your God; that ye would be my children, and I should be your father?
30 I gathered you together, as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings: but now, what shall I do unto you? I will cast you out from my face.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/2-Esdras-Chapter-1/

And just what sign or token do the quail represent?

Numbers 11:31-33 KJV
31. And there went forth a wind from the Lord, and brought quails from the sea, and let them fall by the camp, as it were a day's journey on this side, and as it were a day's journey on the other side, round about the camp, and as it were two cubits high upon the face of the earth.
32. And the people stood up all that day, and all that night, and all the next day, and they gathered the quails: he that gathered least gathered ten homers: and they spread them all abroad for themselves round about the camp.
33. And while the flesh was yet between their teeth, ere it was chewed, [HSN#3772 karath] the wrath of the Lord was kindled against the people, and the Lord smote the people with a very great plague.
34. And he called the name of that place Kibrothhattaavah: because there they buried the people that lusted.

Original Strong's Ref. #3772
Romanized karath
Pronounced kaw-rath'
a primitive root; to cut (off, down or asunder); by implication, to destroy or consume; specifically, to covenant (i.e. make an alliance or bargain, originally by cutting flesh and passing between the pieces):
KJV--be chewed, be con-[feder-]ate, covenant, cut (down, off), destroy, fail, feller, be freed, hew (down), make a league ([covenant]), X lose, perish, X utterly, X want.

The word for "chewed" is karath which is used many times over for the cutting of a covenant including when the Father karath-cut covenant with Abraham. The rendering is difficult but "chewed" is probably the worst of all possible renderings because it completely hides the metaphor of Shiloh, (peaceful, as in a peaceful bird like the dove or the "slav", which is rendered quail, and is related to Shiloh by way of shlav-shalav-shalev-shalvah-shiloh or shiyloh which generate from #7951 shalah). The quail was yet between their teeth but were not yet "cut-off" and this has the background meaning of as if cutting in covenant. It is a picture of impatience and lustfulness which implies that the lusters did not have the "patience and faithfulness of the saints", (as it is said in the apostolic writings that we should have). Thus the place where the lusters are buried is called Kibroth haTaavah, "Graves of the Cravers" or lustful. Abraham did not divide the clean tsippor bird in Gen 15:10 but rather waited upon YHWH showing patience and allowed the Father to cut covenant with him. The implications are that many do rush headlong in proclaiming they have a "covenant" (i.e. "saved") which they neither understand nor indeed have in their possession. :)

keypurr

I disagree, the express image of God does not change. He does not have to so why should he? He does his Father's will. God does not change, men do.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Don't blame me for YOU being confused.

Metaphorical descriptions of God do not mean that is what He is, but the Greek words χαρακτήρ (charaktēr) & ὑπόστασις (hypostasis), rendered as "the EXACT representation of His NATURE", are not.

If you don't get this key description then you fail at recognizing our one true God just like keypurr and daqq do.
My point is that there are many, many "EXACT representations of His NATURE."

God is infinite, man is finite. God is beyond language and only metaphoric and poetic language can point to "what God is."
Jesus himself was characterized as a Lamb by the Gospel of John.

Does that then mean that Mary had a little lamb?

keypurr

My point is that there are many, many "EXACT representations of His NATURE."

God is infinite, man is finite. God is beyond language and only metaphoric and poetic language can point to "what God is."

Jesus himself was characterized as a Lamb by the Gospel of John.

Does that then mean that Mary had a little lamb?

Yep, when you think about it.

Was not Jesus the Lamb of God and his fleece was white as snow,
And every where that Mary went, the Lamb was sure to go.

My, I think that I have heard that story before.