Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Huh??!?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

nikolai_42

Does God judge choices or people?

The intent of the post is not simply to have people mine the scriptures for verses that say God judges the heart or God judged this person or that person - but to see what it is that is really at issue in the judgment of God.

So is there further implication in the judgment of someone's choice to do X? In other words if someone is judged for murder (for example) is their choice to kill being judged or is that really reflective of something deeper (and, therefore, it isn't - in the end - the choice itself being judged)?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
God sends people to hell that do not trust in his work.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
God sends people to hell that do not trust in his work.

That would be the majority of humanity past and present.

It should be evident that people will be judged by their works after the "Books" are opened to them.

The "Books" have not been opened to most people.

musterion

That would be the majority of humanity past and present.

It should be evident that people will be judged by their works after the "Books" are opened to them.

The "Books" have not been opened to most people.

1 Tim 5:24

csuguy

Can you explain what you mean by judging choices/action as opposed to people?

I would say that God judges people by their deeds.

musterion

A person must die before he or she can be judged. You know that.

Stop making up doctrine.

6For indeed it is righteous with God to repay those oppressing you with affliction,7and to you being oppressed, repose with us at the revelation of the Lord Jesus from heaven, with His mighty angels, 8in a fire of flame, inflicting vengeance on those not knowing God and on those not obeying the gospel of our Lord Jesus, 9who will suffer the penalty of eternal destruction away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10when in that day He shall come to be glorified in His saints, and to be marveled at among all those having believed because our testimony to you was believed

popsthebuilder

God looks at the thoughts and intentions of your heart.

Jesus told us that lusting after someone is sexually immoral or adultery. He also said hating a brother is murder. Then he went on to describe all the sins in our heart such as an evil eye (seeking to do evil?), blasphemy, theft, covetousness, etc!

So. We have two dialogues. Our inner voice and our outer voice. When you are thinking and speaking to yourself is it good? I remember some quote about a bird may land on your head but you don't have to let it build a nest. Filling my heart and mind with godly things will have my thoughts be more focused on above. So I make it a point to read the bible every day or to think about something concerning it. I also read sermons from NLM once in awhile.

I think it's important to look at ourselves!

Having said that Jesus did wash the disciples feet saying something along the lines of "If I do not wash you then you have no part with me" and "Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. And you are clean, though not every one of you"

I am COMPLETELY clean. I understand that the bathed are those who have repented and believed in Jesus. We still need to wash our feet but we're clean. His holiness protects us from sin. Hence: 1 John 3:9 "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God."
You are without sin wholly?

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

nikolai_42

What did you have in mind for "something deeper"?

Jesus said that a good tree cannot bring forth bad fruit (and vice-versa). So is the judgment of an action (murder, as a clear example) really just the judgment of that action or does it necessitate a judgment of something more?

Maybe a better question is - if someone commits adultery once but is faithful the rest of their lives, for example, does that mean they are adulterers at heart? Jesus did say that out of the heart this comes :

But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.

Matthew 15:18-20

And this seems to echo what Jeremiah prophesied :

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Jeremiah 17:9-10

Which, as I read it, indicates that the Lord judges actions - but in so doing He is actually judging the heart. Which means, that the judgment of a man is all about who that man actually IS. In that context, one can get into whether moralistic teaching - that is, preaching that men shouldn't engage in certain behaviors as a primary focus of that preaching - is of any lasting value (or just serves to deceive the hearer). Or when Jesus talks to the Pharisees telling them they won't come to Him - is He just judging their choices or is He judging who they actually are? And if that is what they actually are (and realize this extends to everyone to whom His call goes out), what determines how they respond? Is it just a "choice"? So we are back to how one "chooses" God.

But that's not all - what about the nature of sin in the believer? Paul and John both make it clear that sinners don't enter heaven (and I know that's a rather controversial way of putting it - I'm just trying to make a point)....

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

I Corinthians 6:9-11

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

I John 3:9-10

The easiest way to reconcile this all is to say that the one who is born again never sins (ever!). But even then you have a problem since John himself admits that ALL unrighteousness is sin but that NOT all sin is "unto death".

If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
I John 5:16

So even John (who is often used to support sinless perfection) isn't saying that one is actually sinless from the moment one is born again. Which goes back to the understanding of sin in the believer. Paul says "such WERE some of you" in I Cor 6:11 - so they are clearly not (after being in Christ) those things anymore. Yet there are believers who commit those same sins. But they are not judged because they are not any of those things (yet they do them). So again...we seem to be back to the judgment of who or what someone is - not so much what they do (though works are clearly judged).

So is the judgment of actions or individuals/identification (i.e. who or what someone is over against simply what they do) or both? I think the answer is "both" but anyone who thinks it's really actions that are being judged is missing the point. They are judged - but only as an extension of who is doing them. That's why the unbelieving are judged according to their works - their identification is not in Christ...their righteousness is of themselves. So in the final analysis, what is being judged is who they are and/or who they are identified with.

Last edited:

popsthebuilder

yes. because if i had sin, that means i need to go to hell. all sin results in death 100% of the time.
I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense to me. I asked if you were sinless and you said yes because sin equals death. So since you are alive still you are without sin?

Could you please attempt to clarify for this humble ignoramus.

Thank you

Peace

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk