What Are "Works of the Law?" - Jimmy Akin

Jerry Shugart

So are you arguing that if a Jew walked in all the commandments and ordinances perfectly then he wasn't considered righteous in God's eyes?

Even though the Lord Jesus Himself told them that if they kept the commandments they would gain eternal life (Mt.19:17)?

If you think that Luke 1:6 is speaking about being blameless in regard to keeping the Ten Commandments then Paul must have been in error when he said that all have sinned. Is that what you believe?

Jerry Shugart

Paul said that some of the Jews were attempting to establish their own righteousness and were ignorant of God's righteouness (Ro.10:30.

But RightDivider thinks that it is only the present dispensation when the righeousness which isof God is imputed to those who believe.

Right Divider

Body part
So are you arguing that if a Jew walked in all the commandments and ordinances perfectly then he wasn't considered righteous in God's eyes?
Again, as per your usual, you try to twist my words. It's tiresome how dishonest you are Jerry.

My point was this:
  • They "walked in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless", Luke 1:6
  • They were both righteous, Luke 1:7
  • Neither their commandment keeping nor their righteousness merits eternal life.
Even though the Lord Jesus Himself told them that if they kept the commandments they would gain eternal life (Mt.19:17)?
That's interesting Jerry. You've nagged me to no end for quoting scripture like this. Do you NOW think that law keeping "gains eternal life"? That's quite the hypocrisy there.
If you think that Luke 1:6 is speaking about being blameless in regard to keeping the Ten Commandments then Paul must have been in error when he said that all have sinned. Is that what you believe?
Do you believe that if someone keeps the law that they never sin? I don't think that you've ever read the law Jerry. You really should read it some time.

The people of Israel KEPT the law by making sacrifices FOR their sin.

Right Divider

Body part
Paul said that some of the Jews were attempting to establish their own righteousness and were ignorant of God's righteouness (Ro.10:30.

But RightDivider thinks that it is only the present dispensation when the righeousness which isof God is imputed to those who believe.
Jerry's back to tells lies about what others believe.

Jerry Shugart

RightDivider said:

Do you believe that if someone keeps the law that they never sin?

So are you now saying that if a Jew broke a Commandment and was therefore guilty of all (Jas.2;10) then it can be said that that Jew kept the law?

Right Divider

Body part
RightDivider said:

Do you believe that if someone keeps the law that they never sin?

So are you now saying that if a Jew broke a Commandment and was therefore guilty of all (Jas.2;10) then it can be said that that Jew kept the law?
Learn how to quote Jerry.

It's interesting that you bring up James Jerry, James said that faith alone was not good enough.
Jas 2:14 KJV What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
His last question is rhetorical and the obvious answer is no.
Jas 2:21-24 KJV Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (22) Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? (23) And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. (24) Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
Can you not see that James and Paul disagree?
Rom 4:2 KJV For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
James did NOT know the revelation given to Paul.

I've long said that you are not a dispenstionalist at all as to you the entire Bible is all the same.

Right Divider

Body part
a question for Right Divider:

What did the Jews who lived under the law have to do to inherit eternal life?
When Jesus was asked this question, what did He say?
Mat 19:16-17 KJV And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? (17) And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
Now I'll ask one of your favorite questions: Do you not believe the Lord Jesus Christ?

Jerry Shugart

Why do you refuse to answer my simple question, which was:

What did the Jews who lived under the law have to do to inherit eternal life?

You said that faith by itself wasn't enough.

So you must think that the following words of the Lord Jesus spoken to the Jews who lived under the law cannot be believed?:

"I tell you the truth, anyone who believes has eternal life" (Jn.6:47).

In regard to the book of James you overlooked the truth in regard to how James revealed that they are saved:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:17).

Since you don't believe what the Lord Jesus said to the Jews at Jihn 6:47 i am sure you will not believe James 1:17.

Jerry Shugart

You said that faith by itself wasn't enough to save the Jews who lived under the law despite the following word of the lord Jesus spoken to those who lived under the law:

His words obviously mean nothing to you. The truth is not in you.

Jerry Shugart

Mat 19:16-17 KJV And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? (17) And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

"No man is justified by the law in the sight of God" (Gal.3:11).

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

When you mix the gospels, only confusion arises.

Right Divider

Body part

So you think that the Lord Jesus Christ was wrong?

Do you know nothing at all about the dispensations of God?

Jerry Shugart

No, the lord Jesus was not wrong. if a jew kept the law perfectly he would have eternal life. But as Paul, said, all have sinned.

in your gross unbelief you deny the following words of the Lord Jesus spoken to the Jews who lived under the law:

You deny His words because you say that it took more than faith for those under the law to receive eternal life.

Pitiful!

Right Divider

Body part
No, the lord Jesus was not wrong. if a jew kept the law perfectly he would have eternal life. But as Paul, said, all have sinned.

in your gross unbelief you deny the following words of the Lord Jesus spoken to the Jews who lived under the law:

You deny His words because you say that it took more than faith for those under the law to receive eternal life.

Pitiful!
Again you lie about me Jerry. Goodbye and may God bless you.

Jerry Shugart

You deny your own words and then call me a liar.

You quoted james to tary to prove that faith alone was not sufficient for the jews to obtain eternal life. Do you deny that?