Weak Muscles Evolved Even Faster Than Smart Brains In People

rainee

Yes Folks, it appears we were weak a lot longer than we were smart according to this study, the article first paragraph starts like this:

Humans appear to have evolved puny muscles even faster than they grew big brains, according to a new metabolic study that pitted people against chimps and monkeys in contests of strength.

Hmmm,
But then comes the evolutionary explanation:
The upshot, says biologist Roland Roberts, is that "weak muscles may be the price we pay for the metabolic demands of our amazing cognitive powers."

Which I guess we should be used to seeing the justifying explanation by now in science studies, discoveries or finds - no mater how unbelievable or far reaching the reasoning may be.

The researchers found that in the last six million years, people have evolved weaker muscles much more rapidly—eight times faster—than the rest of our body changed.

Today our brawn is much reduced, while other body tissues, like kidneys, have remained relatively unchanged over millions of years.

Over the same time period, the brain evolved four times faster than the rest of the body.

Roberts, a scientist with the Public Library of Science who wasn't involved in the study, called it a "tantalizing preliminary enquiry" in a commentary accompanying the new paper.

He notes that "human muscle has changed more in the last six million years than mouse muscle has since we parted company from mice back in the early Cretaceous." That was about 130 million years ago.

Yes but mice didn't grow a big brain did they so they may have known not to evolve much.

But may I ask how we survived with weak muscles and while growing
smart brain but not having one evolved yet??

To confirm their findings, which were based on analysis of 10,000 metabolic molecules, the researchers pitted people, chimps, and macaques—another kind of monkey—against each other in a contest of strength. (Related video: "Genius Chimp Outsmarts Tube.")

All participants had to lift weights by pulling a handle.

"Amazingly, untrained chimps and macaques outperformed university-level basketball players and professional mountain climbers," Roberts says. People were indeed only about half as strong as the other species.

I'm not surprised by that - were you surprised?
But they keep going:

Looking for an explanation, the team also subjected the macaques to two months of a "couch potato" lifestyle: little exercise, high stress, crummy food.

At the end of the two months, a strength contest with the couch potato macaques found that the animals' strength hadn't declined much. In fact, the scientists deduced from those macaques that humanity's "soft" lifestyle accounts for 3 percent of the strength difference between people and monkeys.

By Dan Vergano

National Geographic

Published May 27, 2014

Good grief. Couch potato-ness not part of the natural selection process for humanity?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/05/140527-brain-muscle-metabolism-genes-apes-science/

And BTW since they had no real evidence the brain actually had anything to do with us supposedly getting weaker than beasts -
Here then is the title to this article:

"Humans Evolved Weak Muscles to Feed Brain's Growth, Study Suggests"

Sigh

6days

"Humans Evolved Weak Muscles to Feed Brain's Growth, Study Suggests"

Sigh
How about...."Eating meat and cooking food is how humans got their big brains"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...4d36de-326d-11e2-bb9b-288a310849ee_story.html

Oh... Big brains evolved during a period of rapid climate change!!
http://humanorigins.si.edu/human-characteristics/brains
(Perhaps global warming will give us bigger brains? ha)

Oh wait... A new study says "Humans May Have Evolved Their Big Brains by Eating and Hunting for Insects"
http://www.scienceworldreport.com/a...evolved-big-brains-eating-hunting-insects.htm

Darn... No it wasn't the insects... it was our sophisticated eyes that caused big brains! "Big Brains Evolved to Help Humans See Better"

It must be confusing to evolutionists who think that type of stuff is science.

6days

Something I posted previously on the topic....
Science continues to confirm the Genesis account of creation and sin. Every since sin entered the world, humans have increasingly become weaker as mutations pile up in our genes. Where as we were created perfect, we now have thousands of diseases we are subject to. Increasingly, humans are becoming more susceptible to allergies and sickness. And now scientists tell us that our brains have shrunk by 10%. This article tells us that "Surprisingly, based on skull measurements, the human brain appears to have been shrinking over the last 5,000 or so years."
http://www.livescience.com/history/091113-origins-evolving.html

rainee

Hi Sixdays,

Thanx for posting that - yes I had heard something about the thinking our brains now getting smaller but hadn't looked into it yet.

However, I ask you - do you think the problems we have happened at the time of the fall (then was the tie to sin and death) or did it happen over time?

I ask because I was surprised to read about the Iceman who is thought to be from 5,300 yrs ago :

(Read about the Iceman lately?)

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/otzi-the-iceman-had-heart-disease-gene-140731.htm

Oetzi the Iceman Had Heart Disease Gene
Jul 31, 2014 09:20 AM ET

Ötzi the Iceman, a well-preserved mummy discovered in the alps in 1991, showed evidence of calcium buildup in his arteries. Now, new research shows he had a genetic predisposition to heart disease....

6days

Rainee said:
However, I ask you - do you think the problems we have happened at the time of the fall (then was the tie to sin and death) or did it happen over time?

The problems we have now of pain, suffering and death are a result of original sin and God's curse on creation. See Genesis 3

However.... the problems have grown over the last 6000 years. We now have many hundreds of genetic disorders. In spite of evolutionary beliefs that natural selection eliminates the unfit ( and it does to a small extent), the human race is becoming more and more fragile.

You could graph the downward curve.

Who knows how short life spans would be today if not for modern medicine

. Science and Gods Word are totally in harmony.

Rainee said:
I ask because I was surprised to read about the Iceman who is thought to be from 5,300 yrs ago :

(Read about the Iceman lately?)

I havent read any of Oetzi in the past couple years but he is evidence of the intelligence of early man. *There is some pretty fascinating things that ancient civilizations were capable of.

(And Oetzi is likely about 3500 years)

6days

Another cry for remedial help from Rainee, and her equally stunted cohort 6days.
You are welcome to share your ideas on humans large brains and intelligence. Gods Word tells us that He created intelligent, spiritual beings from the dust of the ground, and from the rib of a man

allblack

BANNED
Banned
You are welcome to share your ideas on humans large brains and intelligence. Gods Word tells us that He created intelligent, spiritual beings from the dust of the ground, and from the rib of a man

If I thought sharing it with you would actually sink in, I might be game. But you are resistant to ideas you have decided are not "kosher" based on your pre-scientific bias of the world. You are a waste of time. The scientific community is not waiting for your to understand these things. It concludes what it does with or without your approval.

6days

If I thought sharing it with you would actually sink in, I might be game. But you are resistant to ideas you have decided are not "kosher" based on your pre-scientific bias of the world. You are a waste of time. The scientific community is not waiting for your to understand these things. It concludes what it does with or without your approval.
In the beginning... God created.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The silliness in such a statement is quite obvious. It's the same error people used to make in claiming that men were obviously smarter than women because they had bigger brains.

True enough, men do have bigger brains. But because much of the brain has to do with housekeeping not related to intelligence, but closely related to muscle mass, it's a theory that doesn't hold water.

So what about declining brain mass? Cro-Magnons, our immediate ancestors (essentially H. sapiens like us) were significantly more robust and much more muscular than modern humans. Hence bigger brains.

Another beautiful theory killed by an ugly little fact.

There is a theory that myostatin (a substance that makes us weak relative to other primates) led to intelligence by smaller forces from the masseter muscle on the skull. Doesn't seem very likely to me, since (as D'Arcy Thompson demonstrated a hundred years ago) human faces are pretty much neotonous with regard to apes. It's a change in developmental timing, not mere mechanical forces that make us different.

(Barbarian forgoes his usual warning to be very skeptical of "science" that is not directly from the literature)

6days

I agree. Though that does not cover the scientific detail.
Glad you agree that God created.
Don't confuse the truth of God's Word with evolutionary opinions. After all 'scientific detail' has been wrong about junk DNA, useless appendix, Neandertals, gill slits in human embryos, Australian aborigines, pseudogenes, peppered moths, Coelacanths etc etc etc. Science continually shoots down evolutionary beliefs which contradict Gods Word.

6days

Barbarian said:
The silliness in such a statement is quite obvious. It's the same error people used to make in claiming that men were obviously smarter than women because they had bigger brains

No... Darwins 'racist' attude against women was not because of brain size. Darwin claimed women, African black people and pygmies were inferior because of his rejection of God's Word. For example he claimed males are more evolutionarily advanced than females... and a female companion is even better than having a dog. His belief in inferior and less intelligent races made sense to Darwin with his belief system of favored species.

Fortunately, science helps show Gods Word to be true...All humanity is "one blood". We are all one 'race'.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian observes:
The silliness in such a statement is quite obvious. It's the same error people used to make in claiming that men were obviously smarter than women because they had bigger brains

No... Darwins 'racist' attude against women was not because of brain size.

Indeed. It was Owen, an opponent of Darwin's theory, who made that silly claim. A creationist. As you see, creationists are still making that error.

Darwin claimed women, African black people and pygmies were inferior because of his rejection of God's Word.

No, he did so, because his cultural bias as a European gave him that assumption. He was considered enlightened on racial matters for his time, because he objected to slavery, and insisted that all humans were equally endowed with rights.

Of course, evolutionary theory has since shown that there are no biological human races, but the leader of the largest creationist organization was still blathering about the supposed mental and spiritual inferiority of blacks as late as the 1990s.

Would you like to see that?

Fortunately, science helps show Gods Word to be true...All humanity is "one blood". We are all one 'race'.

Unless you're a YE creationist. Henry Morris preached that blacks were inferior to other people.

Ironically, a Christian and an "evolutionist" produced the final nail in the coffin of YE creationist racism, by showing that there is more variation within any "race" you might define than there is between such groups. Francis Collins, head of the Human Genome Project, showed that the YE idea of inferior races was unsupportable, much as earlier scientists showed that the YE idea of eugenics was scientifically unsupportable.

Would you like to see that?

allblack

BANNED
Banned
No... Darwins 'racist' attude against women was not because of brain size. Darwin claimed women, African black people and pygmies were inferior because of his rejection of God's Word. For example he claimed males are more evolutionarily advanced than females... and a female companion is even better than having a dog. His belief in inferior and less intelligent races made sense to Darwin with his belief system of favored species.

With every post you display your ignorance.

6days

allblack said:
6days said:

With every post you display your ignorance.
Not surprising that you react that way. Many Darwinists don't like to face the fact that Darwin thought people other than white males were inferior. His views lead to a huge increase in race based slavery, women being considered as inferior, and even killing of aborigines for museum displays.

Darwin managed to lump his racism and a bit of a hostile view of women when he said that a married man is like a poor slave, worse than a Negro..... however he said many slaves were happy. Darwin also said that marrying a woman would give you a "constant companion, (friend in old age) who will feel interested in one, object to be beloved and played with—better than a dog anyhow".