ECT Water Baptism Not For Today

turbosixx

Many say water baptism is not for today. In my understanding, the purpose of water baptism then still makes it applicable today. So I would like to consider what you understand water baptism accomplished or its purpose in the 1st century. If you would, please include the scriptures that lead you to that conclusion. Obviously, without scriptures it will be just an opinion.

Thanks

Jerry Shugart

Many say water baptism is not for today. In my understanding, the purpose of water baptism then still makes it applicable today. So I would like to consider what you understand water baptism accomplished or its purpose in the 1st century. If you would, please include the scriptures that lead you to that conclusion. Obviously, without scriptures it will be just an opinion.

In the first century the coming of the King and the Kingdom was at hand. John the Baptist was sent out to prepare the people for the coming of the King:

"In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight" (Mt.3:1-3).​

It was necessary for the people to have a change of mind in regard to their sinful life style in order "make ready a people prepared for the Lord" so that they "might serve Him...in holiness and righteousness" (Lk.1:17,74-75).

Those who submitted to the rite of water baptism were acknowledging their sinful lifestyle and pledging to change their way of life in order that they might serve the Lord. In exchange, they were given the knowledge that their past sins were forgiven and that they were beginning their service for the Lord with a clean slate.

However, since the people rejected their promised King His return to set up His Kingdom has been postponed and it will not be until He returns to the earth when the Kingdom will be at hand:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand"
(Lk.21:27-31).​

At the present time we are not waiting for the Lord Jesus to return to the earth. Before that can possibly happen certain events must first take place, such as the setting up of the abomination of desolation in the holy place (Mt.24:15). Therefore, the purpose of water baptism, to prepare a people for the return of the Lord Jesus, is no longer in order.

Last edited:

turbosixx

In the first century the coming of the King and the Kingdom was at hand. John the Baptist was sent out to prepare the people for the coming of the King:

"In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight" (Mt.3:1-3).​

It was necessary for the people to have a change of mind in regard to their sinful life style in order "make ready a people prepared for the Lord" so that they "might serve Him...in holiness and righteousness" (Lk.1:17,74-75).

Those who submitted to the rite of water baptism were acknowledging their sinful lifestyle and pledging to change their way of life in order that they might serve the Lord. In exchange, they were given the knowledge that their past sins were forgiven and that they were beginning their service for the Lord with a clean slate.

However, since the people rejected their promised King His return to set up His Kingdom has been postponed and it will not be until He returns to the earth when the Kingdom will be at hand:

"And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand"
(Lk.21:27-31).​

At the present time we are not waiting for the Lord Jesus to return to the earth. Before that can possibly happen certain events must first take place, such as the setting up of the abomination of desolation in the holy place (Mt.24:15). Therefore, the purpose of water baptism, to prepare a people for the return of the Lord Jesus, is no longer in order.

Thank you for your comments.

dodge

Thanks

Paul was baptized:

Acts 9:18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
And when is the end of the age?

Jesus tells his disciples, "Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near — at the doors!" (Matthew 24:32-33)

drbrumley

Jesus tells his disciples, "Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near — at the doors!" (Matthew 24:32-33)

Um I know the parable....but you still didn't answer the question. When is the end of the age?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Um I know the parable....but you still didn't answer the question. When is the end of the age?

When Jesus presents himself to the world. When will that be? When the Father tells him to. When will the Father tell him to? You will have to ask him.

Our duty? To be ready. Are you ready?

drbrumley

When Jesus presents himself to the world. When will that be? When the Father tells him to. When will the Father tell him to? You will have to ask him.

Our duty? To be ready. Are you ready?

Yes I am ready...more than ever...

But your answer isn't the correct answer...That will not be the end of the age....The end of the age has gone by the wayside so to speak 2000 years ago

turbosixx

Paul was baptized:

Acts 9:18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

Yes he was. I'm looking for others understanding on what is/was the purpose of water baptism.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
If anyone didn't need it that would have been Jesus. And yet Jesus said it is part of righteousness. I think I'll follow Jesus' example.

Mat 3:13 -16

Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him.
And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?”
But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him.
When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He[fn] saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.

turbosixx

If anyone didn't need it that would have been Jesus. And yet Jesus said it is part of righteousness. I think I'll follow Jesus' example.

And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?”
But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him.
When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He[fn] saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.

I agree, but what do you think was its purpose is for us? I'm curious what people think especially if they use scripture.

dodge

Amen !

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
But your answer isn't the correct answer...That will not be the end of the age....The end of the age has gone by the wayside so to speak 2000 years ago

First age: "...The world that then existed perished, being flooded with water." (2 Peter 3:5-6)

Second Age: "This present evil age..." (Galatians 1:4)

Third age: "World to come..." (Hebrews 2:5)

Jerry Shugart

My money is that Paul was obeying Jesus, which seems not to be in vogue with many groups that claim to be "in" Christ.

Here is what Paul said:

"Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all" (Eph.4:3-6).​

There are some who say that the one baptism is water baptism to the exclusion of this one:

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit"
(1 Cor.12:13).​

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit"[/I] (1 Cor.12:13).

Jesus is the only one referred to as baptizing with the holy Spirit.

...this is He who baptizes with the Holy Spirit. (John 1:33)​