Ukraine Crisis

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I watched those MSNBC shows live.

Quoting your post from before you edited it. What does "Russia not on the run" even mean? In which city? Suburb? At which river? (They were obliterated at Seversky Donets River so I guess they couldn't run.) You don't have a link because you watched it? How convenient. If you've looked at any maps you've seen the lines move back and forth as Russia pushed in and Ukraine pushed back. There are areas where Ukraine hasn't been able to push Russia back, and others where Ukraine has made progress, and at great cost.

You're grasping at a vague straw here, claiming (without supporting data) that MSNBC was lying, because the battle is so fluid. It's fluid because Russia though they'd be well in control of Kiev within days and they aren't, because Ukrainians have a formidable drive to protect their homeland. I highly doubt MSNBC would say Russia was on the run on the whole, in reference to the entire war, rather than in reference to a single battle or regained area which is actually provable. They have put Russia on the run in specific instances.

Here's a map from March:

FPA-OrAXIBI2Lll

And here's a map from today:

FUpL6n2X0AARU0S

marke

Of course they are, it's the gateway pundit for crying out loud. About as "credible" as Q. It's a completely discredited rag and rightly so.
At least the Gateway Pundit did not participate in the years-long seditious attempt to overthrow the President of the US by lying, covering up the seditious crimes, and promoting evil.

marke

You can get a lot of kickback bucks out of 40 billion dollars.
Exactly. The Biden crime family got huge kickback bonuses by linking with Ukrainian thugs who participated in receiving and distributing $1 billion in US aid authorized by Congress at the urgence of Biden and Kerry. There is no knowing how much kickback Obama arranged for himself in negotiating with the Ayatolla before Obama stole $1.7 billion from Ft. Knox to give to the terrorists in Iran.

Gary K

Banned
Black Sea geopolitics and NATO's attempt to strangle Russia by cutting off all of it's southern access to the world's oceans is the point of this article. This is an existential issue to Russia. The maps in the following article demonstrate that what Putin said were his goals in Ukraine are his actual goals, not withstanding all the propaganda to the contrary.

Now cue the cries of "Putin apologist". Get ready. Get set. Troll.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Black Sea geopolitics and NATO's attempt to strangle Russia by cutting off all of it's southern access to the world's oceans is the point of this article. This is an existential issue to Russia. The maps in the following article demonstrate that what Putin said were his goals in Ukraine are his actual goals, not withstanding all the propaganda to the contrary.

Now cue the cries of "Putin apologist". Get ready. Get set. Troll.

Warm water port

Right Divider

Body part
I looked at that entry yesterday and was amazed at how skewed wiki's coverage of it is. I used to rely on wiki, tempered with a pinch of skepticism. I have found them totally unreliable on too many things lately to use them much anymore.
I used to support them with a small donation at the end of each year. I stopped that last year.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Wikipedia? Seriously?

You don't follow the footnotes? Seriously? To use wiki well, follow the footnotes to the referenced sources. Looking at that page there's a wealth of outside sources that you're ignoring so you can say "Wikipedia? Seriously?"

Maybe you could take another look, and follow the footnotes this time to all the different publications who reported on their fake stories, and all their flubs under the "misidentifying shooters and terrorists" heading.

Gary K

Banned
Happy to oblige, Putin apologist and propagandist.

View attachment 3601

Anna's posts always remind me of the following.
"Trolling"

Well, it's not far down to paradise, at least it's not for me
And if the wind is right you can troll away and find tranquility
Oh, the canvas can do miracles, just you wait and see
Believe me

It's not far to never-never land, no reason to pretend
And if the wind is right you can find the joy of innocence again
Believe me

Trolling takes me away to where I've always heard it could be
Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free

Fantasy, it gets the best of me
When I'm trolling
All caught up in the reverie, every word is a symphony
Won't you believe me?

And soon I will be free

Well it's not far back to sanity, at least it's not for me
And if the wind is right you can troll away and find serenity
Really, believe me

And soon I will be free

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
You don't follow the footnotes? Seriously? To use wiki well, follow the footnotes to the referenced sources. Looking at that page there's a wealth of outside sources that you're ignoring so you can say "Wikipedia? Seriously?"

Maybe you could take another look, and follow the footnotes this time to all the different publications who reported on their fake stories, and all their flubs under the "misidentifying shooters and terrorists" heading.
The footnotes and references are just as censored as the articles.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
My sources aren't lying to me. You okay?

Long article from a liberal source so you probably won't read it but on the off chance someone will, here's an excerpt. Rest is at the link:

Science has answers to why conservatives fall so easily for COVID-19 and Russian propaganda

At work, the subject of Ukraine came up. Someone I had worked with for years and seemed reasonably intelligent went on an absurd rant about how Ukraine was overrun with Nazis who were planning on using bioweapons against the U.S. He added that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy was really a terrorist who overthrew the government to seize power. (Zelenskyy was democratically elected in a landslide in 2019.) He also said Russians were liberating the Ukrainians and he was there for it. For good measure, he threw in something about Hillary Clinton being involved in all of this.

I have written before about the ridiculous nonsense I hear from otherwise rational people. It’s a bit disarming during the course of a casual conversation that the other person suddenly brings up FEMA camps, tells me that vaccines are made out of babies, or that all school shootings are staged. A few years ago, a nice man I sat next to on an airplane told me Obama was going to unilaterally disband the Marine Corps. Just last year, I was told COVID-19 vaccines would make you magnetic. Recently, a manager I work with informed me that Putin’s Ukraine invasion is really all about disrupting Bill Gates’ “New World Order.” None of this is okay.

I can’t help myself, so I always engage. Yet I am as confused as I am appalled that they repeat garbage without the slightest bit of critical analysis. I have a lot of left-leaning friends as well, and though they believe Gov. Ron DeSantis is evil, none of us believe he eats babies for breakfast. We don’t have to make things up—he is awful enough on his own. The conservative conspiracy theorists I keep running into aren’t lying because they really believe the nonsense they are espousing. After coming across a recent scientific study that gave insight into this phenomenon, I dug a little deeper. It turns out, there are real reasons that right-wing adherents go so easily off the deep end. Knowing the “why” can help you to counter the “how.”

Liberals don’t typically fall for nonsense, but don’t take my word for it. Professional fake-news creators admit that conservatives are targeted over liberals.

“We’ve tried to do [fake news with] liberals. It just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out.”

Watching the stunning ignorance displayed at Trump’s recent Michigan rally is shocking, and although it’s tempting to say it’s pure ignorance, the science explains that it is more about how we are wired. There are multiple studies that show how liberals and conservatives differ, not just in political views, but in different purviews of life. Conservatives register a greater response to negative stimuli because they tend to view the world as a dangerous place and are “hyper-attuned” to the hazards in the world.

This is why fearmongering is used more often as a persuasion technique in right-wing media, and why conspiracies are more likely to take root in conservative thought. Liberals, on the other hand, tend to be more hopeful about mankind and are much more likely to respond to persuasion over the perceived benefits of something presented. This explains why there is such a huge disconnect in legislative policy initiatives from both parties.

Democrats push legislation to expand rights, create programs, or build infrastructure. Conservatives, however, tend to promote bills to address perceived dangers-–even if the dangers are fake. This past year we saw bills dealing with “critical race theory,” undocumented immigrants, and more recently, bills to “protect” children from “grooming.” Here in Florida, our governor just signed a ridiculous bill to protect kindergartners from what they believe is a secret society of teachers trying to convert them into homosexuality.

This perception of made-up enemies is nothing new, but a trait of cult-like behavior. Another trait is idolizing a leader, which Republicans have been prone to do for decades. The worship of Ronald Reagan was just the beginning.

Yet cultish behavior has been enabled and encouraged for years by establishment Republicans, who viewed their devotion as necessary to fuel unpopular policies that benefit the business class. The problem is that the new Trump-era conservatives have brought the fringe into the mainstream of their party.

In 2015, an author on cults spoke to a senior Republican congressman who lamented the fact that he used to spend 90% of his discussions with constituents about “actual legislation” while the remaining 10% spoke of chemtrails and other nonsense, and he noticed that the number had suddenly flipped. The author felt better that a senior Republican leader at least recognized the problem, but when the Trump cult took hold, it was the leadership that changed. By the way, that congressman was Devin Nunes.

Now conspiracy theories are invented for every major event that has happened in recent years, such as the 2020 election, COVID-19, and the war in Ukraine. Let’s examine the research to get some clues as to why this is, and what, if anything, we can do about it.

Glut of right-wing misinformation

Researchers from The Ohio State University ran a study in 2021 on political views and media bias. They confirmed that although partisans on both the left and right tended to believe claims that supported their point of view, conservatives were far more likely to believe in outright lies. Yet the study also discovered the main reason for this was the American media environment, which is targeted toward conservatives:

“Both liberals and conservatives tend to make errors that are influenced by what is good for their side,” said Kelly Garrett, co-author of the study and professor of communication at The Ohio State. “But the deck is stacked against conservatives because there is so much more misinformation that supports conservative positions. As a result, conservatives are more often led astray.”

The study also found that conservatives were less likely to believe stories that were true, if it contradicted their point of view. The researchers said that the evidence showed that the media environment shaped people’s misperceptions. "These results underscore the importance of reducing the supply of right-leaning misinformation."

Unfortunately, there is a whole disinformation industry business model that has developed in recent years that actually monetizes fear, which the right-wing media not only created but continues to fan.

Clare Birchall of Kings College London explains this by saying, “In short, there is always someone making money off of conspiracy theories. In the case of platforms such as 4Chan/8Chan/8Kun, they use their alleged championing of free speech to allow wild conspiracies to thrive on their platforms as it creates traffic that will see ads for the platform owner's book company.” (4Chan and 8Chan, now 8Kun, are message boards that are popular with extremists and conspiracy theorists.)

The fact is that conspiracists also drive small donor donations, which has evolved into a big business in American politics. (Trump’s Save America fundraising committee that targets small-dollar donors raised $19 million in the first quarter this year.) This is one major reason why conservative lawmakers are so loath to stop the misinformation. In many cases, they happily promote it.

They are direct beneficiaries despite the tremendous damage being done to our democratic process. Here in Florida, I have to contend with GOP activists bombarding Spanish language social media sites with numerous conspiracies. Ginning up fake fear and outrage is apparently a small price to pay to win over a few ill-gotten votes.

marke

Long article from a liberal source so you probably won't read it but on the off chance someone will, here's an excerpt. Rest is at the link:

Science has answers to why conservatives fall so easily for COVID-19 and Russian propaganda

At work, the subject of Ukraine came up. Someone I had worked with for years and seemed reasonably intelligent went on an absurd rant about how Ukraine was overrun with Nazis who were planning on using bioweapons against the U.S. He added that Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy was really a terrorist who overthrew the government to seize power. (Zelenskyy was democratically elected in a landslide in 2019.) He also said Russians were liberating the Ukrainians and he was there for it. For good measure, he threw in something about Hillary Clinton being involved in all of this.

I have written before about the ridiculous nonsense I hear from otherwise rational people. It’s a bit disarming during the course of a casual conversation that the other person suddenly brings up FEMA camps, tells me that vaccines are made out of babies, or that all school shootings are staged. A few years ago, a nice man I sat next to on an airplane told me Obama was going to unilaterally disband the Marine Corps. Just last year, I was told COVID-19 vaccines would make you magnetic. Recently, a manager I work with informed me that Putin’s Ukraine invasion is really all about disrupting Bill Gates’ “New World Order.” None of this is okay.

I can’t help myself, so I always engage. Yet I am as confused as I am appalled that they repeat garbage without the slightest bit of critical analysis. I have a lot of left-leaning friends as well, and though they believe Gov. Ron DeSantis is evil, none of us believe he eats babies for breakfast. We don’t have to make things up—he is awful enough on his own. The conservative conspiracy theorists I keep running into aren’t lying because they really believe the nonsense they are espousing. After coming across a recent scientific study that gave insight into this phenomenon, I dug a little deeper. It turns out, there are real reasons that right-wing adherents go so easily off the deep end. Knowing the “why” can help you to counter the “how.”

Liberals don’t typically fall for nonsense, but don’t take my word for it. Professional fake-news creators admit that conservatives are targeted over liberals.

Watching the stunning ignorance displayed at Trump’s recent Michigan rally is shocking, and although it’s tempting to say it’s pure ignorance, the science explains that it is more about how we are wired. There are multiple studies that show how liberals and conservatives differ, not just in political views, but in different purviews of life. Conservatives register a greater response to negative stimuli because they tend to view the world as a dangerous place and are “hyper-attuned” to the hazards in the world.

This is why fearmongering is used more often as a persuasion technique in right-wing media, and why conspiracies are more likely to take root in conservative thought. Liberals, on the other hand, tend to be more hopeful about mankind and are much more likely to respond to persuasion over the perceived benefits of something presented. This explains why there is such a huge disconnect in legislative policy initiatives from both parties.

Democrats push legislation to expand rights, create programs, or build infrastructure. Conservatives, however, tend to promote bills to address perceived dangers-–even if the dangers are fake. This past year we saw bills dealing with “critical race theory,” undocumented immigrants, and more recently, bills to “protect” children from “grooming.” Here in Florida, our governor just signed a ridiculous bill to protect kindergartners from what they believe is a secret society of teachers trying to convert them into homosexuality.

This perception of made-up enemies is nothing new, but a trait of cult-like behavior. Another trait is idolizing a leader, which Republicans have been prone to do for decades. The worship of Ronald Reagan was just the beginning.

Yet cultish behavior has been enabled and encouraged for years by establishment Republicans, who viewed their devotion as necessary to fuel unpopular policies that benefit the business class. The problem is that the new Trump-era conservatives have brought the fringe into the mainstream of their party.

In 2015, an author on cults spoke to a senior Republican congressman who lamented the fact that he used to spend 90% of his discussions with constituents about “actual legislation” while the remaining 10% spoke of chemtrails and other nonsense, and he noticed that the number had suddenly flipped. The author felt better that a senior Republican leader at least recognized the problem, but when the Trump cult took hold, it was the leadership that changed. By the way, that congressman was Devin Nunes.

Now conspiracy theories are invented for every major event that has happened in recent years, such as the 2020 election, COVID-19, and the war in Ukraine. Let’s examine the research to get some clues as to why this is, and what, if anything, we can do about it.

Researchers from The Ohio State University ran a study in 2021 on political views and media bias. They confirmed that although partisans on both the left and right tended to believe claims that supported their point of view, conservatives were far more likely to believe in outright lies. Yet the study also discovered the main reason for this was the American media environment, which is targeted toward conservatives:

The study also found that conservatives were less likely to believe stories that were true, if it contradicted their point of view. The researchers said that the evidence showed that the media environment shaped people’s misperceptions. "These results underscore the importance of reducing the supply of right-leaning misinformation."

Unfortunately, there is a whole disinformation industry business model that has developed in recent years that actually monetizes fear, which the right-wing media not only created but continues to fan.

Clare Birchall of Kings College London explains this by saying, “In short, there is always someone making money off of conspiracy theories. In the case of platforms such as 4Chan/8Chan/8Kun, they use their alleged championing of free speech to allow wild conspiracies to thrive on their platforms as it creates traffic that will see ads for the platform owner's book company.” (4Chan and 8Chan, now 8Kun, are message boards that are popular with extremists and conspiracy theorists.)

The fact is that conspiracists also drive small donor donations, which has evolved into a big business in American politics. (Trump’s Save America fundraising committee that targets small-dollar donors raised $19 million in the first quarter this year.) This is one major reason why conservative lawmakers are so loath to stop the misinformation. In many cases, they happily promote it.

They are direct beneficiaries despite the tremendous damage being done to our democratic process. Here in Florida, I have to contend with GOP activists bombarding Spanish language social media sites with numerous conspiracies. Ginning up fake fear and outrage is apparently a small price to pay to win over a few ill-gotten votes.
What is stunning and shocking are the democrats involved in the leftist inquisition of conservatives for the purpose of finding unjust ways to wickedly nail and jail them while their militant supporters are outside surrounding the homes of SCOTUS justices threatening to murder them and their families in cold blood for not approving of the barbaric butchery of babies.

Arthur Brain

Great article. You only have to look around here to see nonsense peddled by conspiracy theorists who tout TGP, Zerohedge, 'Q', 4Chan etc as sources of "news" along with Fox.

marke

Great article. You only have to look around here to see nonsense peddled by conspiracy theorists who tout TGP, Zerohedge, 'Q', 4Chan etc as sources of "news" along with Fox.
Liberal news outlets propagated seditious lies from the devil against Trump for more than five years but do not repent for lying and the deluded servants of the devil love it.