Traits you dislike

Cruciform

I dislike people who call those who stand on God's Word alone "ignorant," "deceived" and "liars."
Actually, those terms were specifically applied to those who post common distortions, anti-Catholic stereotypes, and un-informed clichés about Catholic teaching, rather than accurately representing the Catholic faith. It has nothing whatsoever to do with "God's word," but about failing to get their claims about Catholic beliefs right.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Hypocrisy, Dishonesty and cruelty. And the reason I can recognize these in other people is simple: I harbor these same qualities in myself.

Thunder's Muse

It seems to me that most anti-Catholics aren't "lying" so much as simply uncritically and ignorantly repeating what they've derived from their particular man-made non-Catholic sect. People only "know" what they've been taught, and so most merely parrot the distorted assumptions and erroneous opinions of their chosen Protestant denomination or doctrinal tradition regarding what Catholics supposedly believe and teach.

That being said, there certainly are a relative few on TOL who know full well that they're misrepresenting Catholic teaching, and choose to do so anyway. These few are most definitely liars (Ex. 20:16; Prov. 19:5).

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform

+T+

I love your posts :)

Cruciform

Hypocrisy, Dishonesty and cruelty. And the reason I can recognize these in other people is simple: I harbor these same qualities in myself.
Oprah called... She wants her knee-jerk amateur New Age pop-psychological claptrap back.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Oprah called... She wants her knee-jerk amateur New Age pop-psychological claptrap back.
A tired and predictable response to an attempt to use honesty and repentance.

Speaking of "pop psychology," I have always enjoyed the first century kind where Jesus tells us to "pay attention to the log in our own eye first before we point out the speck of sawdust in our neighbor's."

It took 2000 years for psychology to come up with the secular version of what Jesus actually said!

Last edited:

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Sneaky deceivers ... and those who are incapable of ever accepting responsibility.

You know, like those who would sneak in under multiple ID's AFTER being banned, deny who they are and then blame their previous bans on everyone else.

Here's a fresh, cold one

whineken.jpg

Cruciform

A tired and predictable response to an attempt to use honesty and repentance.
Rather, a pointed and accurate response to a vapid attempt to use trendy and mindless psycho-slogans.

Speaking of "pop psychology," I have always enjoyed the first century kind where Jesus tells us to "pay attention to the log in our own eye first before we point out the speck of sawdust in our neighbor's." It took 2000 years for psychology to come up with the secular version of what Jesus actually said!
Your awkward attempt at psychobabble has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus' theological teaching about right judgment. Try again.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
[...Rather, a pointed and accurate response to a vapid attempt to use trendy and mindless psycho-slogans.
Noted.

Just wondering how you would post a commnent concerning your own wrong-headedness, cruelty, racism, and penchant to project your own feelings and faults onto another?

Your awkward attempt at psychobabble has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus' theological teaching about right judgment. Try again.
If what I posted was not about right judgement, what the heck was it about?

I merely said that I too often point out faulsts in others that I myself deny in myself. Alas, it's an all-too-human dodge that allows me to feel superior to others (I guess).

I am willing to be responsible and accountable for my own shortcomings in dealing with others. When I posted about it, you immediately jumped in with a personal "dig" against me.

If you can think of a more adult way to discuss my post, then have back at me. If you are going to continue to degrade and mock my desire to be honest, then either move on or show me how you yourself would communicate the same thing:

Those traits that I dislike in others are traits that I need to own up to first.

That's what Jesus said as well.

St. Augustine found joy in the truth for its own sake. Truth is not conditioned by time or place, by who speaks it or how it is spoken.
We should rejoice in truth regardless of who speaks it.

elohiym

That's horrible.
Do you believe that people can dislike traits they don't posses?
If you are freed from hypocrisy, dishonesty and cruelty, will you still recognize and dislike those traits you see in others?

elohiym

Yeah and it takes guts, too...being able to recognise and accept it is the first step to changing

Sadly, many hold to doctrines that preclude them from thinking they can change, so they perceive essentially a license to be that way.

I was guilty of all the traits I dislike and recognizing and accepting that was a long and painful process. When I had those traits, I obviously didn't dislike them or not enough to stop expressing them.

Thunder's Muse

Sadly, many hold to doctrines that preclude them from thinking they can change, so they perceive essentially a license to be that way.

I was guilty of all the traits I dislike and recognizing and accepting that was a long and painful process. When I had those traits, I obviously didn't dislike them or not enough to stop expressing them.

What is it that makes us suddenly able to see those things when they were unseen before?

elohiym

What is it that makes us suddenly able to see those things when they were unseen before?

I have to answer God.
His Spirit opened my eyes to my faults.

Another way to look at it is your experience convinces you a trait is dislikeable, and then your belief it is dislikeable determines your rejection of that trait in yourself and a subsequent change in your behavior.