Tongue Speaking

feneluscliff

Christ has warned us, “Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many”. — Matthew 24:4-5. One of the deception of today, is tongue speaking. The experience which the disciples went through has been perverted by professed Christians. Christ had commissioned the disciples, to preach the gospel to all the world, beginning at Jerusalem. They were to preach, teach, and convert souls, not by their own strength, but through the holy spirit. They were faced with one problem, the language barrier. The disciples only spoke their native language, and were not fluent in other languages or tongues. God knew this, and made provision through the holy spirit. Thus the holy spirit gave them utterance or the ability to speak other languages, so that other may hear the gospel and be saved.

How about today, do we need this gift? Is language a barrier as it was in the time of the disciples? The answer is no. How about those who speak tongue in their churches, is it genuine? Sadly the answer is no. Why is that? Simply because during the experience at Pentecost, every man heard the disciples speaking their native language, and not another man interpreting it for them. Acts 2:6-8. The tongue speaking that's going on in the church today, is what scripture calls vain babblings, which leadest onto ungodliness. 2Timothy 2:16 & 1 Timothy 6:20. This is also an indicator thay you need to leave that church! Those who claim that they speak in tongue, first deceive themselves, and others. They have not the truth, and those who follow them are blind, and are being lead by blind leaders!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
“Nay, but by men of strange lips and with another tongue will he speak to this people; to whom he said, This is the rest, give ye rest to him that is weary; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear. Therefore shall the word of Jehovah be unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, there a little; that they may go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.”
**Isaiah‬ *28:11-13‬ *ASV‬‬
http://bible.com/12/isa.28.11-13.asv

The speaking in tongues is a sign of Jewish unbelief.
Because the men of Israel mocked Isaiah "line upon line..." God tells them that when they hear a tongue totally unknown to them (Babylonian) they will be put to the sword.

Maybe this was a part of the mindset of the Jews of the first century Pharisaic Judaism. If so then that would explain more clearly the miracle they heard in their ears on that day.

God's Truth

The believers in the Bible times who spoke in tongues, they spoke in tongues supernaturally. The believers who supposedly speak in tongues nowadays, they speak gibberish and believe God turns their gibberish into supernatural language, and that is a false doctrine.

CherubRam

1Co 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:

LA

[FONT=&quot]Speaking in tongues. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Acts 2:6. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is common knowledge that tongues is languages. The miracle was not in the speaking, but in the hearing. Each heard in their own tongue / language.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Exodus 4:10
Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Context is important.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Corinthians 14:21-22
In the Law it is written: “With other tongues and through the lips of foreigners I will speak to this people, but even then they will not listen to me, says the Lord.”
Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acts 2:4
All of them (The people) were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in {other / different}[tongues / languages] as the Spirit enabled them. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Them" is the people. The verse does not say (The Apostles.) They were different peoples speaking in different languages. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Acts 2:11
(both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Additional insights.............

Additional insights.............

"Let all things that have breath, praise the Lord"

All can prophesy Paul says, and he laid out instructions for the orderly use of tongues. So, there is no problem with tongues being used as inspired by the Holy Spirit, neither is there an prohibition of one's own spirit speaking to God, which is a form of personal prayer, and can also be used in giving a message, provided it has an 'interpretation' given to another in the congregration. If you've been in an meeting where the gifts of the Spirit were allowed to flow in a rightful order, perhaps you wouldn't be so quick to condemn 'speaking in tongues'. - its a matter of understanding the various kinds and function of tongues, in context.

The time on the Day of Pentecost was a special miracle, since all heard those Jews speaking praises to God in their own language, so whether the Jews were actually speaking in other languages of those hearing, or some miracle of transmission granted the hearers to hear the Jewish language 'translated' into their own,...who knows? In any case,...other accounts after the initial outpouring at Pentecost in the book of Acts, do say they often spoke in other tongues as people received the Spirit (at least 2 additional accounts, but it doesn't specify the kinds of tongues spoken). Its just acknowledged that speaking in tongues often accompanies the 'baptism of the Holy Spirit',....so some Pentecostals assume that its an 'initial sign' or 'evidence' of the infilling of the Spirit, etc. - some can of course go legalistic over this or verge on some kind of extreme, but this is when common sense and spiritual discernment comes in.

In any case,....my own experience of 'speaking of tongues' proves such to be a genuine phenomena, as one's own spirit is inspired in the Spirit of God. In deep states of prayer one can speak to God in tongues, as Paul says that his spirit prays when he speaks in tongues, so this form of tongues is a kind of 'prayer language'....it transcends the intellect and is like the 'deep calling unto the deep'. I've found that when in this 'zone' of communion,...tongues just flow naturally from one's own spirit like a spring. Note this is a kind of 'spiritual' language, of the Spirit, expressing spiritual feelings, mysteries, etc.

The first kind of tongues at Pentecost, we note that the languages were made 'known' or 'understandable'. So those tongues were known human languages of the different peoples present. But then there is a kind of 'unknown' tongue being a spiritual language or language of the Spirit. Those familiar with Pentecostal/charismatic fellowships and teaching may confirm these points.

themuzicman

The key to proper speaking in tongues:

1 Cor 14:27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; 28 but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God.

Tongues must be one at a time, and must be interpreted.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1Co 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:

LA

The believers who supposedly speak in tongues nowadays, they speak gibberish and believe God turns their gibberish into supernatural language, and that is a false doctrine.

That day Herod and Pilate became friends...

You 2 clowns are correct.

Last edited:

Hawkins

It is common knowledge that tongues is languages. The miracle was not in the speaking, but in the hearing. Each heard in their own tongue / language.

I think that this is very much close to what is. I can tell because I have the related experience.

Actually I believe that it's the way how we talk without a physical body. We hear whoever speaks to us in our own native tongue. This might sound a bit heretic though.

God's Truth

The key to proper speaking in tongues:

Tongues must be one at a time, and must be interpreted.

That was in the time of the laying of the foundation. The foundation has been laid and there is no more tongue speaking.

Ephesians 2:20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.

Danoh

That was in the time of the laying of the foundation. The foundation has been laid and there is no more tongue speaking.

Ephesians 2:20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.

Nope - tongues were for a sign to 1st Century Israel that God was now among the Gentiles.

This, both toward provoking inbelieving Israe to jealousy that He might still save some even as Israel diminished away, as well as for a witness against them as to why they were diminishing away in importance.

Acts being both a record of the fall of Israel, and of salvation going to the Gentiles.

themuzicman

The bible says that tongues are a sign to unbelievers. It doesn't say anything about a "foundation."