toldailytopic: Pet peeves. What are some of yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ok, I actually posted this already in another thread, but it didn't go very far. This thread is more appropriate.

One of my pet peeves is when you are shopping somewhere like Wal-Mart and somebody's kids are running all over the place or actually playing soccer or tossing a football in the aisles.

I have a cousin who was in a store where there was this kid running all around, so when he ran by her about the third time, she stuck her foot out and with a shocked look on his face, tripped and fell. She said told him "Wow, how did that happen? Running in a store is kinda dangerous huh?" ... I would not recommend doing that, but it sure made me chuckle. How many times have you wanted to do something like that when a bratty kid runs by you in the store?

I had a kid come up to behind me in a grocery store once (he was about 5 or 6 years old) and he slapped me on my behind and ran off!!! I did chase that kid down and chewed him out for that. Can you imagine? What are parents teaching (or NOT teaching) their kids today?

What do you think should be done about bratty, unaccompanied kids in the store?
And people who post the same dad blasted thing in more than one...:think:...wait a minute.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I can't stand it when people write "of" instead of "have." Don't they know the difference between a preposition and a verb?
I know. You would think people would know it's wrong.

People who make posts like this. At least it is worthy of mocking.

"I quote the bible when necessary...(forget exact verse).. I have books in my library that refute you in detail that you cannot refute. They do a better job than I would in a few posts…...Google may also help....If you study biblical theology (looking at books, authors, etc.) instead of systematic theology or ultradispensationalism, you would see that... As it is, commentators disagree on… I believe sound evangelical scholarship totally refutes what you are saying … He is not worth reading in light of the sound scholarship that exists ..Sound NT scholarship recognizes.... Whole books have been written on it… The vast majority of godly Christians have not heard of MAD. The best of conservative, biblical, evangelical scholarship rejects it if they have heard of it…. Exact reference again? Did you check other versions or a commentary?... Buy a good commentary for the various opinions on… Hermeneutical books point out that… Even in your traditional view, scholars do not express your issues…I am not an expert on MAD and do not consider it a prominent enough view to gain much academic attention…Sound NT scholarship comes to different conclusions…Who was the prominent author (s) who held to it in your movement?.. I think you will be hard pressed to find commentators who would agree with you…As the Bible Knowledge Commentary points out,… it is not even on the radar of credible NT scholars…. I can't condense 30 years of study from a variety of sources into a few posts… any credible commentary or systematic theology will give you the arguments and verses…. I agree with the commentary. .. Listen to the Doctor (D. M. L-Jones), not radio preachers with weak NT backgrounds. …There is a reason it is a marginal view that lacks credibility among NT scholars…"Feel free to refute the many books written that contradict your views…. There is a reason no NT scholar… It is enough solid scholarship to silence MAD… an ignorant JW who blindly follows an organization or their misquoting of our scholars…. You underestimate the caliber of scholars that God has raised up to keep the sheep from falling for false teaching and ignorance on important subjects. Why should I trust you as an expert on things, and reject those with proven track records and godly character/insights? Eph. 4:11-13 vs internet wannabees with no training or accountability…Any credible biblical theology of John and Paul or any credible commentary or NT scholar or average believer has no problem with I Jn. vs Paul.....There are many resources to help you, but you prefer fringe writers over ones that can give you more biblical answers….but I should ignore more credible sources and their documented evidence? Why, pray tell?!.... What school did you go to again?... I went to Bible College in the early 80s, but have no scholastic club except TOL (which is not very scholastic)..” - autopilot
:rotfl:

Well, in your defense, it is hard to carry on a dinner conversation with a waitress hanging over your shoulder. :mmph:
Even more so if it's a Hooters waitress hanging over the shoulder of the other person.

assuranceagent

People who drive past an entire line of cars and then force their way in near the front. They should be shot on site. :nono:

People who are just so bubbly and happy that it can't possibly be real.

People who text and drive.

People who like to divert attention away from the weakness of their own theological position by manufacturing strawmen wholesale with regards to the positions of others.

Neighbors who party loudly into the wee hours of the morning nearly every single weekend - or, to put it another way, people who don't act their age.

Slackers.

The overly opinionated and under informed.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Bank tellers who ask me what I'm doing this weekend. As if they cared. As if I'd tell them.
You know what's fun to do? Look them dead in the eye and with a soft monotone ask, "What have you heard?" Then dart your eyes to the next teller like you're almost sure you're being watched.

Man, that can really move the line along, I can tell you.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You know what's fun to do? Look them dead in the eye and with a soft monotone ask, "What have you heard?" Then dart your eyes to the next teller like you're almost sure you're being watched.

Man, that can really move the line along, I can tell you.

You don't know how tempting that is....

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
People who don't try to move towards the center of the road when making a left turn and you can't get by them.

People who don't go around people making a left turn when there is room to do so.

Accident waiting to happen. Speaking of bad drivers and pet peeves, people that drive on the shoulder and think it is a lane.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
People who drive past an entire line of cars and then force their way in near the front. They should be shot on site. :nono:
And people who enter traffic almost right in front of you, and there are no cars behind you . . . Talk about rude and in a hurry.​

People who are just so bubbly and happy that it can't possibly be real.
I have wondered about that myself. :think:

People who text and drive.
May their thumbs fall off, like tadpole tails.

People who like to divert attention away from the weakness of their own theological position by manufacturing strawmen wholesale with regards to the positions of others.
You know Charles Spurgeon said that John Knox says . . . :sozo2:

Neighbors who party loudly into the wee hours of the morning nearly every single weekend - or, to put it another way, people who don't act their age.
I still have not gotten quite past seventeen :angel:

Slackers.
That one word says enough . . . :mmph:

The overly opinionated and under informed.
You mean those who are extremely expressive, stubborn, and dismissive of other’s views; and those with not enough of something that is needed to be properly, with acumen knowledge and understanding to be informed or give an informed opinion.​

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You mean those who are extremely expressive, stubborn, and dismissive of other’s views; and those with not enough of something that is needed to be properly, with acumen knowledge and understanding to be informed or give an informed opinion.​

Which, of course, never happens around here. :rolleyes:

:D

Gozilla

One of my pet peeves is when people talk about things they don't know about.

Last edited:

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
The phrase 'gone missing' - what the heck does that even mean? The person is either missing or not missing. How does one 'go missing'?

The home security commercials where someone breaks in the door and the homeowner tells the security company that someone just 'tried' to break in. Am I missing something here?

Soundbite theology

Soundbite politics - how many times did you hear the word 'dithering' over the past two weeks? Who uses that word, for crying out loud?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The phrase 'gone missing' - what the heck does that even mean? The person is either missing or not missing. How does one 'go missing'?

:doh: And "went missing". I never heard those used before just a few years ago. I think the phrase has been imported from our friends across the pond.

The home security commercials where someone breaks in the door and the homeowner tells the security company that someone just 'tried' to break in. Am I missing something here?
Yes. A weapon. :D

Security companies: When seconds count, we're just minutes (and a phone call) away.

As long as we're on the subject of commercials, are you sick of the side-by-side bathtubs yet?
And the ones where they make the wife look really smart and decisive and the husband look like a bumbling idiot?

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
:doh: And "went missing". I never heard those used before just a few years ago. I think the phrase has been imported from our friends across the pond.

I vote to export it back. Maybe we can consider it an attempt to balance the trade deficit. (Probably shouldn't give anyone any ideas, huh?)

Yes. A weapon. :D

Yes, but given my prodigious wit, I'm covered!

As long as we're on the subject of commercials, are you sick of the side-by-side bathtubs yet?

Good grief... One of the first times we saw one of those stupid E.D. commercials, when the voice-over guy said you should call a doctor if a certain, er, something lasted longer than four hours, my husband said, "Yeah, right after I call the media!"

And the ones where they make the wife look really smart and decisive and the husband look like a bumbling idiot?

Hopefully, this won't become a self-fulfilling prophecy... I wonder if any of the writers of these commercials or sitcoms are men...

And what about Storm Watch 200? (insert current year)... Especially here in California where the weather is practically impossible to predict, even more so on my side of the mountains, these guys promise storms of Biblical proportion and then show no shame when they have to backpeddle because the storm 'loses steam' or 'stalls' off the coast. Buncha dolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.