Tides Caused by the Moon?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

(¯`v´¯)
`*.¸.*´
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•...

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
What can you cover up with puddles?
:idunno:

He's referring to Puddles, my pet poodle. Puddles likes to cover things up, such as my slippers. I can't leave them on the floor by the bed at night because I know that in the morning I won't be able to find them. When I do, I usually find them in a puddle, hence his name.

alwight

Because if it cannot be measured, you don't know that it happens. This is stepping from science to belief without evidence. If you believe in it, fine. I can't prove via the scientific method all of my theological beliefs, but I don't call them science. Science is about what we can observe and test. If the tide of a pond is not observable or measurable, you don't know that it exists. You believe in it.
Yes I believe that it is reasonable to believe that pond water is nevertheless basically the same stuff as sea water, but without all the salt and other stuff, and will behave in just the same way to the pull of gravity as sea water does more observably.
Ponds are not tidal and neither are the Great Lakes considered tidal, but nevertheless, unlike ponds, the sun and moons's gravitational pulls on their waters can indeed be measured.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gltides.html

Mocking You

Because if it cannot be measured, you don't know that it happens. This is stepping from science to belief without evidence. If you believe in it, fine. I can't prove via the scientific method all of my theological beliefs, but I don't call them science. Science is about what we can observe and test. If the tide of a pond is not observable or measurable, you don't know that it exists. You believe in it.

I'm guessing this is some trite illustration used by some preacher that Dan11 clings to as if it's compelling.

Last edited:

Daniel1611

I'm guessing this is some trite illustration used by some preacher that Dan11 clings to as if it's compelling.

Still waiting to find out why it is scientific to believe tides exist that cannot be observed or measured. Is this what science has become? "It's there, just trust me."

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Still waiting to find out why it is scientific to believe tides exist that cannot be observed or measured. Is this what science has become? "It's there, just trust me."

You could always out forth a little effort of your own.

Try thinking of it this way. It's a bit of stretch but it might help you understand. Think of gravity as flashlight with a narrow beam. Where ever that beam sines it's light is effected by the gravity of the moon and pulled towards it. When it shines on the ocean, the beam covers a small area compared the Earth of the ocean so it pulls on a small part causing a bulge. When the light shines on your pond it covers the whole pond so the whole pond is equally effected. The pond is effected, but the mass if water in your pond is much smaller than the mass of water in the ocean so the effect is much smaller. Since the the effect is smaller and uniform over the pond, the effect is masked by other things such as the wind.

Daniel1611

You could always out forth a little effort of your own.

Try thinking of it this way. It's a bit of stretch but it might help you understand. Think of gravity as flashlight with a narrow beam. Where ever that beam sines it's light is effected by the gravity of the moon and pulled towards it. When it shines on the ocean, the beam covers a small area compared the Earth of the ocean so it pulls on a small part causing a bulge. When the light shines on your pond it covers the whole pond so the whole pond is equally effected. The pond is effected, but the mass if water in your pond is much smaller than the mass of water in the ocean so the effect is much smaller. Since the the effect is smaller and uniform over the pond, the effect is masked by other things such as the wind.

So...you believe the tides are there. You can't see or measure them, but you believe they're there. Your faith is so strong that they are there that no other explanation could be feasible.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
So...you believe the tides are there. You can't see or measure them, but you believe they're there. Your faith is so strong that they are there that no other explanation could be feasible.

There is no faith involved. I studied physics as part of me degree. I can read and understand the physics behind tides. The calculations say that the tidal effects on small bodies of water is so small that it is completely masked by other things so I know better than to expect to be able to measure it with any device that I could possibly afford.

I also can see tides in the ocean. I've seen some pretty good tides in a Cook Inlet, Alaska. Those tides can be seen and measured so we know that tides exist.

Daniel1611

There is no faith involved. I studied physics as part of me degree. I can read and understand the physics behind tides. The calculations say that the tidal effects on small bodies of water is so small that it is completely masked by other things so I know better than to expect to be able to measure it with any device that I could possibly afford.

I also can see tides in the ocean. I've seen some pretty good tides in a Cook Inlet, Alaska. Those tides can be seen and measured so we know that tides exist.

Tides exist, sure. I've seen the ocean. But I've never seen tides in a pond. You say we can't see it measure them, but they're there. You have faith that they're there. I'm saying they aren't there. I'm basing my opinion on what I observe. You're basing your opinion on what you believe in.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Tides exist, sure. I've seen the ocean. But I've never seen tides in a pond. You say we can't see it measure them, but they're there. You have faith that they're there. I'm saying they aren't there. I'm basing my opinion on what I observe. You're basing your opinion on what you believe in.

I'm basing my opinion on physics and math. My calculator is accurate out to 12 decimal places so I can calculate a tide. The most accurate measuring device is only accurate to 4 to maybe 6 decimal places. I can calculate a number but we don't posses the technology to measure it. The same calculation accurately predicts ocean tides so I know the equations are correct. There is no faith required. There us just understanding the the world based on more than just what I see. I can test what I see using physics. And God dies tell us test all things.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

Actually what would move is not just the pond but the land underneath it as well. Earth tides can reach about 55 cm (about 21.5 inches) at the equator:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_tide

That's right, even land goes up and down with the tides. Not just water.

noguru

As Cabinetmaker pointed out they are so minor in smaller bodies of water that they cannot be measured with any device one could afford. The Great Lakes has a minimal tidal change. With smaller bodies what are you expecting to happen?

True tides—changes in water level caused by the gravitational forces of the sun and moon—do occur in a semi-diurnal (twice daily) pattern on the Great Lakes. Studies indicate that the Great Lakes spring tide, the largest tides caused by the combined forces of the sun and moon, is less than five centimeters in height. These minor variations are masked by the greater fluctuations in lake levels produced by wind and barometric pressure changes.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
As Cabinetmaker pointed out they are so minor in smaller bodies of water that they cannot be measured with any device one could afford. The Great Lakes has a minimal tidal change. With smaller bodies what are you expecting to happen?

Eeset was the first to mention in this thread that land is affected by tidal forces just as surely as oceans:

The moon's gravity...affect mountains as well as the seas. Its just that water moves a lot easier than rocks.

And The Barber followed it up with this:

The crust of the Earth, for example, has a measurable strain, due to the Moon's gravity. Not being liquid, it doesn't move very far, though.

So a pond or a puddle rises and falls with the tides along with the land underneath it, if only by a few inches.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
When I was a kid I mooned a crowd of people....The gravitational pull attracted a Cop. :plain: