This Is, After All, A Theology Forum!

bybee

How do you all feel about the vulgar comments made by some of our posters?
I detest them!
It casts a pall over the whole forum.
Our goal here is to bring people to Christ whilst encouraging lively dialogue amongst those of all religious persuasions as well as those who are not persuaded!
We have been blessed with posters of great knowledge as well as wisdom.
We have been blessed with people of wit and charm who are able to differ with courtesy and dignity.
I have delighted in the wit displayed by some which is able to walk around the edges of "naughty" without making me wish to vomit.
I pledge, as a Moderator, to ban those who resort to gutter language to express themselves.

Quetzal

I detest them!
Our goal here is to bring people to Christ whilst encouraging lively dialogue amongst those of all religious persuasions as well as those who are not persuaded!
We have been blessed with people of wit and charm who are able to differ with courtesy and dignity.
I have delighted in the wit displayed by some which is able to walk around the edges of "naughty" without making me wish to vomit.
I pledge, as a Moderator, to ban those who resort to gutter language to express themselves.
I think consistency between mods and users would help a lot. That is one of my chief complaints. I think if someone resorts to language or personal attacks in lieu of critical discussion, they should be thrown in the slammer. Shouldn't matter what side of the political spectrum they fall on, consistency would go a long way.

bybee

I think consistency between mods and users would help a lot. That is one of my chief complaints. I think if someone resorts to language or personal attacks in lieu of critical discussion, they should be thrown in the slammer. Shouldn't matter what side of the political spectrum they fall on, consistency would go a long way.

Good points!

6days

1 Peter 2:17 Respect everyone, and love your Christian brothers and sisters. Fear God, and respect the king.

1 Peter 3:15*But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

Jamie Gigliotti

I detest them!
What bothers me the most is that outsiders see it as a knock on Christ and Christianity.

And it can really harm some who don't have a secure relationship with Christ.

I can't see how it ever helps one's argument in a debate.

bybee

It does
but
It is necessary to distinguish
the good ones
from
the bad.

True! I do love a good caustic remark that is to the point, succinct and even a bit racy myself!
But there is a socially acceptable belt line which may be invoked to sort out those remarks that are above the belt line and those which are not!

I am open to discussion by those who challenge my decisions as a Mod.
It is openness that helps keep this such a great forum!

bybee

What bothers me the most is that outsiders see it as a knock on Christ and Christianity.

I can't see how it ever helps one's argument in a debate.

Good points and my fears exactly!

bybee

1 Peter 2:17 Respect everyone, and love your Christian brothers and sisters. Fear God, and respect the king.

1 Peter 3:15*But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

I do strive toward that ideal but sadly, fall short.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll tell you what I have been told to do when I don't like what another does or says .......
ignore.gif

Reactions: Lon

Quetzal

I'll tell you what I have been told to do when I don't like what another does or says .......
ignore.gif
Ignoring is fine and good, but for the staff to tolerate toxic behavior will only encourage its use elsewhere by other members.

PureX

I think you are a little confused. It's those who don't have a secure relationship with Christ that act like angry toddlers when challenged. It's those who don't have a secure relationship with Christ who can't handle even the slightest opposition to their religious dogma, and so fly into insults whenever they're challenged ideologically. It's those who don't have a secure relationship with Christ who are so absurdly dependent on their own religious self-righteousness that they cannot tolerate being treated like the adult children that they are.

You're worried for the 'outsiders', but they're seeing clearly and responding appropriately. It's these spiritually retarded 'insiders' that ARE misrepresenting Christ that are your (and all religious Christian's) problem.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you are a little confused. It's those who don't have a secure relationship with Christ that act like angry toddlers when challenged. It's those who don't have a secure relationship with Christ who can't handle even the slightest opposition to their religious dogma, and so fly into insults whenever they're challenged ideologically. It's those who don't have a secure relationship with Christ who are so absurdly dependent on their own religious self-righteousness that they cannot tolerate being treated like the adult children that they are.

You're worried for the 'outsiders', but they're seeing clearly and responding appropriately. It's these spiritually retarded 'insiders' that ARE misrepresenting Christ that are your (and all religious Christian's) problem.
There ya go!
Insult them while complaining about their insults.
:thumb:

PureX

There ya go!
Insult them while complaining about their insults.
:thumb:
If a man has a gimp leg. And I say he has a gimp leg, is that an "insult"?

Why are you people so absurdly sensitive to criticism? Do you really think you're all above reproach? Wait! What's this thread about if you are all above reproach?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ignoring is fine and good, but for the staff to tolerate toxic behavior will only encourage its use elsewhere by other members.
I've been here over 10 years.
I have yet to see a single day when there were no insults.
And some of the best insults have been from the staff!!!!

Quetzal

I've been here over 10 years.
I have yet to see a single day when there were no insults.
And some of the best insults have been from the staff!!!!
I believe there is a fine line to walk here. Sometimes people say stupid things and should be held as such. There is a difference, however, when someone is deliberately trying to attack the character of another person. I believe these are easy to see and those are the type of posts that, in my opinion, have no place on any forum at all. That is, me saying "You are an idiot" is different than me saying "You are an idiot, I can see why your wife left you." Two totally different things with two totally different messages.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If a man has a gimp leg. And I say he has a gimp leg, is that an "insult"?
Nah.
And if a man is a moron, and you say he is a moron, is that an insult?
Nah.

Why are you people so absurdly sensitive to criticism?
It's me, Tambora. Criticism of me is almost a daily occurrence around here.

Do you really think you're all above reproach?
Again, you're talking to me, Tambora.

Wait! What's this thread about if you are all above reproach?
I thought it was about gutter talk.