The World God so Loved !

beloved57

I read a very good article regarding what the world means in Jn 3:16. Even though I commend this article I dont endorse everything this source teaches.:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Who is meant by "World" in John 3:16?​

Regarding the interpretation and meaning of John 3:16 there is probably no other text of greater agreement among mainstream churches in Christianity today, yet there is probably no other text of greater disagreement between Primitive Baptists and these churches than John 3:16. Outside of the Primitive Baptists and a few churches of Calvinist persuasion, "world" in John 3:16 is taken to mean every single man, woman and child who has ever lived or will live on the earth. And while world sometimes does mean every person who has ever lived, it does not always mean every single person and our contention is John 3:16 is one such place.

First we must understand the context of this scripture. Beginning in verse 1, Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews, came to speak with Jesus and acknowledge that He (Christ) must have been sent from God. Otherwise He could not have performed great miracles. Jesus begins to challenge Nicodemus's understanding of doctrine by explaining the New Birth to him. John 3:3-8

The reason Jesus describes this spiritual awakening as a birth is to illustrate that just as no-one controls the time, place or circumstances of their natural birth, neither do we control the time, place or circumstances of our spiritual birth. Furthermore, natural birth happens to us without our awareness until after the event, likewise spiritual birth happens to us without our awareness till after the event.
Then, Jesus uses an illustration in verse 8 to further demonstrate that the New Birth comes by a sovereign work of God.
  • The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
Just as no-one controls the time of their natural birth, neither does anyone control the wind. No-one can tell the wind when, where, how or why to blow, neither can anyone tell the Holy Spirit when, where, how or why to cause someone to be Born Again. These are sovereign actions of God. By sovereign we mean that God needs no permission to choose where, when or why to act. He simply does it according to His own will apart from the will or desire of any of His creation.

The reason for the need of the New Birth is no-one can see the Kingdom of God without it and no one can enter the Kingdom of God without it. John 3:3, 5 In other words, until a person is Born Again, they can not have saving faith in Jesus Christ neither can they enter in to heaven when they die.

Having explained the New Birth to Nicodemus, Nicodemus responds in verse 9 by saying:
  • How can these things be?
To which Christ responds:
  • Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? John 3:9-10
This is an important point in the discussion between Christ and Nicodemus. Christ wasn't necessarily saying that Nicodemus was not Born Again but rather He is challenging Nicodemus' Jewish understanding of doctrine. And in verse 16, Christ is going to reveal more doctrine that directly contradicted the Jewish understanding of God's love for mankind. According to Jewish doctrine, God only loved Jews and no-one but Jews. As far as the Jews were concerned God hated everyone else, everyone else being all the rest of the world called the gentiles.

It is certainly easy to see why they would believe this. In the Old Testament God never proclaimed His love for anyone accept the patriarchs, their families and their descendants the nation of Israel. All the other nations of the world were suffered to walk in their sins ultimately receiving their just condemnation which is ample evidence that God did not love the other nations of the earth.
Consider these Old Testament scriptures.
  • Pr 6:16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
  • 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
  • 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
  • 19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
We see that God not only hates the wicked actions of men but He hates those who shed innocent blood, those who devise wicked imaginations, those who run to mischief, those that speak lies and those who sow discord among the brethren.
Furthermore in Malachi 1:2, God says, "I loved you" the Israelite nation and He loved Jacob but in verse 3 says:
  • And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.
God Hated both Esau (Jacob's brother) and his descendants (the Edomites). It's little wonder that Nicodemus and the rest of the Jews thought God only loved Jews, for up to the time of Christ there had been very little from God indicating otherwise.
Continuing Jesus and Nicodemus' conversation, Jesus prophesies His death by crucifixion in verse 14:
  • And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
Next Christ presents, to a Jewish mind, one of his more astonishing doctrines by saying:
  • That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
Here Christ begins to reveal that simple belief in Him was the way to eternal life. This was a great contradiction to the Jewish understanding of eternal life for they thought one must become a Jew and keep the law to have eternal life. But Christ is connecting belief in His crucifixion and ultimately His resurrection with eternal life not Judaism. Notice also the scripture does not say, "whosoever believeth in him should not perish but get eternal life." That would make eternal life a condition to be met. Christ says whosoever believes has eternal life. In other words it is a statement of fact that those who believe, already have life. This explains the need for Christ's teaching about the New Birth in the proceeding verses. You must be Born Again before you can believe. You do not believe to get Born Again, as taught by nearly all modern churches.
And finally Christ presents, in this dialog, His most astonishing doctrine of all (at least to a Jewish mind) by saying God not only loves Jews but He also loves Gentiles.
  • For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16
Christ was not teaching Nicodemus that God loves all of mankind without exception. Rather he was teaching that God loves both Jews and Gentiles. In other words God's love is without distinction, it is not based on race or any other factor such as age, gender, ancestry, skin color or income etc. At this point in history, Christ has just made a stunning revelation and one that will have a world wide impact as the love of God reaches all over the world. But it needs to be pointed out, again, that Christ did not say, "whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but get everlasting life." Instead it is, "have everlasting life", which is a statement of fact not a condition to be met.
But what about "world"? Doesn't world mean every single man, woman and child who ever has lived or over will live? As we have already seen from the Old Testament scriptures, this is not the case. The Greek word translated "world" in John 3:16 is Kosmos. Strong's Concordance of the Greek New Testament has this definition:
  • Kosmos - orderly arrangement, i.e. decoration; by implication, the world (in a wide or narrow sense, including its inhabitants [Editor's Emphasis], literally or figuratively [morally]):— adorning, world.
It can be seen from Strong's defintion that "world" can be interpreted in it's wide sense (every single person) or narrow sense (limited number of persons). Therefore John 3:16 does not automatically mean every single person. Here are some definitive New Testament passages that show how world (kosmos) is often used in a narrow sense.
  • John 12:19 The Pharisees therefore said among themselves, Perceive ye how ye prevail nothing? behold, the world (kosmos) is gone after him.
Did the entire "world" go after Christ? Would to God that they had but unfortunately we know this wasn't the case then or now. World clearly does not mean every single person but rather the Pharisees were lamenting that large numbers of people had followed Christ then just as they do now. Indeed it is the "world" of believers who followed Christ and they are the ones God loved in John 3:16. God did not love them because they were believers but their belief is the evidence of God's love for them.John 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world (kosmos) cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

If "world" always means every single person then Christ would have just said no-one can receive the Spirit of truth. And Christ would have also included the Apostles among those who could not receive the Spirit of truth. But it is evident that every single person is not meant for Christ goes on to say that the Apostles did know the Spirit of truth who dwelled in them. It is also evident that all believers receive the Spirit of truth therefore "world" does not mean every single person.
  • Ro 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world (kosmos).
When Paul wrote this epistle, did the natives of North and South America know of the faith of the church at Rome? What about many other people in the furthest places on earth? Did they know about the Roman Church's faith in Christ at that time? Paul is using "world" as a figure of speech to indicate that the faith of the Roman Church was known in a great many places by a great many people but not that every single person of earth knew about their faith.
  • Ro 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world (kosmos), what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead? Romans 11:1-32
The "casting away of them" is referring to the the nation of Israel. The "reconciling of the world" is referring to the Gentiles. But if "world" always means every single person then Paul's statement makes no sense for he would have just said that God had cast away people that He reconciled. Thus, "world" here, as in other places, doesn't mean every single person.
This is not to say that there are no scriptures where "world" means everyone, because there are. The point is "world" doesn't always mean everyone and it is clear from the context of John 3:16 and other scriptures of the Old and New Testament such as Romans 9:13 , where Paul quotes Malachi 1:3, that God's love does not extend to every single person.

Of course some will say it is not fair for God not to extend His love to everyone, which argument Paul goes on to rebut in Romans 9:14-24. In fact if any person ever truly sees how awful and offensive and disgusting his sins are before a Holy God, he will be led to ask, "Why does God love anybody?" But thanks be to God that he did love some and those of us who believe in Christ can praise Him because He "hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began." 2 Timothy 1:9. Hallelujah!

Elder James Taylor

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
@beloved57 Ignoring my posts won't make them go away, neither will changing the subject.

Lon

The world of John 3:16, the word world kosmos from which comes our english word cosmos meaning:

means "universe". But the word is generally used to suggest an orderly or harmonious universe,

The greek word means:

kósmos (literally, "something ordered") – properly, an "ordered system" (like the universe, creation); the world.

in Greek writings from Homer down, an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order

This denotes Gods Creation in the very beginning but became disrupted by the entrance of sin and causing all the elect to enter the world as sinners as the non elect, however the elect being the most important part. They are the world of people Chosen in Christ Jesus before the foundation Eph 1:4 !
It cannot: "For God so loved the World that He gave His Only Begotten Son, that whosoever (the object 'world' already given and object of 'love' necessarily) believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. "World" must be see in the context of 'everlasting life' that God gave through His Only Begotten Son. Most Calvinists understand it this way (as do almost all Christians). You CAN argue that 'whosoever' is already known, thus the object of the 'whole' but God is also not willing that any should perish. 2 Peter 3:9

Scripture necessitates that whatever theology we come to, must honor and incorporate all scriptures. We cannot trample any one of them but must be faithful accountants of God's Word.

beloved57

It cannot: "For God so loved the World that He gave His Only Begotten Son, that whosoever (the object 'world' already given and object of 'love' necessarily) believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. "World" must be see in the context of 'everlasting life' that God gave through His Only Begotten Son. Most Calvinists understand it this way (as do almost all Christians). You CAN argue that 'whosoever' is already known, thus the object of the 'whole' but God is also not willing that any should perish. 2 Peter 3:9

Scripture necessitates that whatever theology we come to, must honor and incorporate all scriptures. We cannot trample any one of them but must be faithful accountants of God's Word.
Did you read the entire article ? You may learn something !

Lon

Did you read the entire article ? You may learn something !
ONLY if it is implicit in scripture. I cannot learn what isn't there and adamantly refuse to do so. The more I know God, the more I know that ONLY HIS WORDS do not return void and stand forever. My ideas, your ideas? Not that important. I'm Sola Scriptura, more so these last days.

beloved57

ONLY if it is implicit in scripture. I cannot learn what isn't there and adamantly refuse to do so. The more I know God, the more I know that ONLY HIS WORDS do not return void and stand forever. My ideas, your ideas? Not that important. I'm Sola Scriptura, more so these last days.
Lol, Oh its scriptural !

marke

John 3:16

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

This world is not the object of Gods condemnation but of His saving purpose through Christ.

Notice Vs 17

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

So this world was never under Gods wrath or condemnation as these are Jn 3:18,36 and this world 1 Cor 11:32

32 But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

The world God Loved isnt condemned but chastened as a token of Gods Love Heb 12:6

6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth

Rev 3:19

19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
God loved the world and is not willing that any should perish because He has no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

Lon

Lol, Oh its scriptural !
No. I realize you are steeped in this, so it directs your scripture reading, but always start with the scriptural premise. Don't run to something ESPECIALLY that lengthy first. It becomes indoctrination which, despite your protest, is in fact not scriptural. Scriptures mold us, people don't. Never give a man Pink or otherwise, the preeminence in your theology. I loved my seminary professors, but I've learned to read the scriptures and not just take their word for it. Honestly? My professors would have it no other way. I gave you the immediate context but don't take my word for it either. Read and ask what the action is, for the 'world' God so loved. What did He do? Don't listen to anybody else, listen to the word.

marke

Amen ! The World God Loved is Limited to an exact amount of people: His Chosen Adopted Sons Eph. 1:4-5; the Many Sons He brings to Glory that Christ died for, and for whom He is the Captain of their Salvation exclusively.

Heb. 2:10

For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

So then, as a consequence of their being His Chosen Sons, they were never under God's Wrath or condemnation at any time because God laid on Christ all their sins / iniquities Is 53:6. Therefore, because they are rebuked and chastened of the Lord Rev. 3:19; not condemned with the world 1 Cor. 11:32, they shall automatically receive the Adoption of Sons.

Gal. 4:4-6

4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.

6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

It's because they are His Sons that God sends them His Spirit in New Birth.

But all others who are outside of God's Sons, have no love for Jesus Christ, because they have a different father, as Jesus told these jews:

John 8:42-44

42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word [John 8:47].

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

God never loved the devils children; they are anathema: Completely outside of being the ones that consist of the World that God Loved and Christ died for John 3:16 !
Humans have pets and they can do as they please with their pets, even abuse them if others do not catch them and call them out for that. But God has no pets and He does not mistreat any human, not because He does not want to get caught mistreating humans, but because mistreating humans would be evil and God cannot do evil.

beloved57

Humans have pets and they can do as they please with their pets, even abuse them if others do not catch them and call them out for that. But God has no pets and He does not mistreat any human, not because He does not want to get caught mistreating humans, but because mistreating humans would be evil and God cannot do evil.
Rabbit trail post !

marke

Rabbit trail post !
Does God show mercy to animals like rabbits, while delighting to burn sinners in hell forever supposedly for His own glory and pleasure? Yes, God does show mercy to animals, and no, God does not delight in burning billions of humans in hell as if that gives Him pleasure and causes the lucky ones who escape hell to give Him glory.

beloved57

We should know by scriptural comparison, that the World in Jn 3:16 that God so Loved isn't the world of men without exception, because Jesus Himself refused to pray for the whole world without exception, note Jn 17:9

9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

With this in mind, He didn't die for the world as it is so erroneously stated by the religions of man. If Christ would have loved and died for all the world without exception, He would have prayed for the same Rom 8:33-34

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

and we cannot envisage that Christ should evade to advocate for any, whom he loved so strongly as to give His Blood and Life for ! Eph 5:25-26

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

beloved57

If we go by Jn 17:9 we can understand who Jn 3:16 is, its the world of all those God gave to the Son in Eternal Election, note Jn 17:9

9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

The same as spoken of in Jn 17:2

2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

And this isn't restricted to His then disciples, though it included them outrightly, yet not exclusively, but also those who would believe on Christ through their apostolic testimony, for they were given to Christ as well Jn 17:20

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

This is the World of Jn 3:16 Christ so loved and gave Himself for. Not all without exception !

marke

We should know by scriptural comparison, that the World in Jn 3:16 that God so Loved isn't the world of men without exception, because Jesus Himself refused to pray for the whole world without exception, note Jn 17:9

With this in mind, He didn't die for the world as it is so erroneously stated by the religions of man. If Christ would have loved and died for all the world without exception, He would have prayed for the same Rom 8:33-34

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

and we cannot envisage that Christ should evade to advocate for any, whom he loved so strongly as to give His Blood and Life for ! Eph 5:25-26

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Those rebels who reject the Gospel clearly taught them by the Holy Ghost will find themselves abandoned by God for their rebellion. Jesus does not pray for them because of their inexcusable rebellion.

Romans 1

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

beloved57

Those rebels who reject the Gospel clearly taught them by the Holy Ghost will find themselves abandoned by God for their rebellion. Jesus does not pray for them because of their inexcusable rebellion.

Romans 1

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
You believe Jesus refused to pray for people He Loved ? Read Jn 17:9

beloved57

Jesus and Gods Love in Jn 3:16 is no further than to them that believe on Him or who shall believe on Him, for it is those whom He Prays for and no others Jn 17:9,20

beloved57

The World of Jn 3:16 isnt all without exception, but its that world of people that He specifcally gave His Life for, the World of His Sheep. Notice about His Sheep He says Jn 10:11

11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for[hyper] the sheep.

Again Jn 10:15

15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for[hyper] the sheep.

The word for hyper means:

in behalf of, for the sake of

Now Jesus says of the World He so loved this Jn 6:51

I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for[hyper] the life of the world.

And notice this World that He gives His Life for, Life is applied to it Jn 6:33

For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world.

His Death applies Life unto the World He died for.

The same is said of the Sheep He died for Jn :10-11,28

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they[Sheep] might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

And I give unto them[Sheep] eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Do you see the correlation between the World and Sheep ? He gives His Life for the World Jn 6 same as for the Sheep Jn 10 and it results in Life Jn 6 for the world, as does for the Sheep in Jn 10