The Truth About Pentecostalism and Subjective Religions

csuguy

To be under the law is to be under a curse, Galatians 3:10.

The Law has been abolished for Christians, Colossians 2:14 also Ephesians 2:15.

Paul said that the law made him want to sin, Romans 7:7-12.

The law is for ungodly sinners, 1 Timothy 1:9, 10.

I don't know who you have been listening to. It hasn't been the Bible.

First off, you are in error if you hope to cancel out the versus that I supplied with other ones. No number of them will cancel out the fact that under the New Covenant of prophecy, God's Law is written on our hearts and minds. Nor will they cancel out the clear support for this from the NT scriptures. What you are doing here is simply putting on blinders. What you need to do is to learn how the versus I supplied, in addition to many others that support them, reconcile with versus like these. A proper understanding of this matter will not pit the scriptures against one another. To do that is to divide Paul against Paul, and Christ against Christ - and it cannot stand.

Probably the biggest source of confusion on this matter is Paul, for in some places he speaks of being under the Law, in other places being freed from the Law - seemingly contradictory. Hence all of your verses are from Paul. But one must be careful when quoting Paul, for Paul's use of the word "Law" does not always refer to the same thing. People who quote him haphazardly think that it refers exclusively to the Mosaic Law, but this is not so.

Romans 3:27-31 Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. 28 [r]For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30 since indeed God who will justify the [t]circumcised by faith and the [v]uncircumcised through faith is one.

31 Do we then nullify [w]the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

There are a few notable things in this passage. The first is that he speaks of "a law of faith" in contrast to works of the law. So he has here introduced a new usage of the term "Law" referring to something contrasted to the Mosaic Law. And it is by this Law of Faith that he says that a man is justified. The next thing to note is that he says that this Law of Faith does not nullify the Mosaic Law, but establishes it!

So, yes, the Mosaic Law will not save you. But that doesn't mean it is unimportant and can simply be discarded like people are prone to do. While the Old Covenant may not be as good as the New, it has not yet disappeared - and will not until all things are complete.

Romans 7:21-22 I find then the [n]principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God [o]in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in [p]the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner [q]of the law of sin which is in my members.​

Here we see two more laws being spoken of by Paul: the law of God, which he rejoices in, and the law of sin in his members, in his body. The Law of God is good, and what he wants to obey. The Law of Sin is what is in his body, which tries to stop him from doing what is good. This he says at the end of chapter 7. He begins the very next chapter by saying:

Romans 8:1-11 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life [a]in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. 3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of [c]sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. 10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is [d]alive because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies [e]through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Here we see Paul further expounding upon the "law of the Spirit in Christ Jesus" (aka, "the law of God" in chapter 7) versus the "law of sin and of death." Here we see that the fundamental difference has to do with what one's mind is set on. For while Paul still had the law of sin reigning over his members, yet his mind was set on the law of God. In contrast, Paul says that one who has their mind set on the flesh cannot please God.

In contrast, those who set their minds on following the law of Faith, the law of the Spirit, the law of God, these people are said to be of the Spirit and ARE capable of pleasing God. In verse four it says that thanks to Jesus' sacrifice, "[He condemned sin in the flesh,] so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." Those who are of the Spirit CAN fulfill the law. And what does the law require of us?

Romans 13:10 Love [f]does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.​

This is what is required of us: love. And love is most certainly attainable by anyone whose mind and heart are set on the Law of God, the Law of Faith, the Law of the Spirit - who walk in Christ.

In chapter 10 he contrasts that righteousness that is found in Christ with the righteousness of the Jews.

Romans 10:1-13 Brethren, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the [a]end [or goal] of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

5 For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live [c]by that righteousness. 6 But the righteousness [d]based on faith speaks as follows: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 [e]that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, [f]resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, [g]resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be [h]disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

We see here a repeat of his earlier sentiment about how those in the Spirit CAN fulfill the law. Of these he cites the Deutoronomy passage which states "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart." Don't ask who will ascend into heaven or descend into the abyss so that you can understand and do these things - you are fully equipped to do what is right if you know God, if you understand his will, if you follow the Spirit.

The error of the Jews is not that they were zealous for God or that they sought righteousness - but that they invented their own righteousness that was not founded upon the knowledge of God. But this knowledge has been preached to us, it is available to all who seek the truth.

Robert Pate

Banned
First off, you are in error if you hope to cancel out the versus that I supplied with other ones. No number of them will cancel out the fact that under the New Covenant of prophecy, God's Law is written on our hearts and minds. Nor will they cancel out the clear support for this from the NT scriptures. What you are doing here is simply putting on blinders. What you need to do is to learn how the versus I supplied, in addition to many others that support them, reconcile with versus like these. A proper understanding of this matter will not pit the scriptures against one another. To do that is to divide Paul against Paul, and Christ against Christ - and it cannot stand.

Probably the biggest source of confusion on this matter is Paul, for in some places he speaks of being under the Law, in other places being freed from the Law - seemingly contradictory. Hence all of your verses are from Paul. But one must be careful when quoting Paul, for Paul's use of the word "Law" does not always refer to the same thing. People who quote him haphazardly think that it refers exclusively to the Mosaic Law, but this is not so.

Romans 3:27-31 Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. 28 [r]For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30 since indeed God who will justify the [t]circumcised by faith and the [v]uncircumcised through faith is one.

31 Do we then nullify [w]the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

There are a few notable things in this passage. The first is that he speaks of "a law of faith" in contrast to works of the law. So he has here introduced a new usage of the term "Law" referring to something contrasted to the Mosaic Law. And it is by this Law of Faith that he says that a man is justified. The next thing to note is that he says that this Law of Faith does not nullify the Mosaic Law, but establishes it!

So, yes, the Mosaic Law will not save you. But that doesn't mean it is unimportant and can simply be discarded like people are prone to do. While the Old Covenant may not be as good as the New, it has not yet disappeared - and will not until all things are complete.

Romans 7:21-22 I find then the [n]principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God [o]in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in [p]the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner [q]of the law of sin which is in my members.​

Here we see two more laws being spoken of by Paul: the law of God, which he rejoices in, and the law of sin in his members, in his body. The Law of God is good, and what he wants to obey. The Law of Sin is what is in his body, which tries to stop him from doing what is good. This he says at the end of chapter 7. He begins the very next chapter by saying:

Romans 8:1-11 Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life [a]in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. 3 For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of [c]sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him. 10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is [d]alive because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies [e]through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Here we see Paul further expounding upon the "law of the Spirit in Christ Jesus" (aka, "the law of God" in chapter 7) versus the "law of sin and of death." Here we see that the fundamental difference has to do with what one's mind is set on. For while Paul still had the law of sin reigning over his members, yet his mind was set on the law of God. In contrast, Paul says that one who has their mind set on the flesh cannot please God.

In contrast, those who set their minds on following the law of Faith, the law of the Spirit, the law of God, these people are said to be of the Spirit and ARE capable of pleasing God. In verse four it says that thanks to Jesus' sacrifice, "[He condemned sin in the flesh,] so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." Those who are of the Spirit CAN fulfill the law. And what does the law require of us?

Romans 13:10 Love [f]does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.​

This is what is required of us: love. And love is most certainly attainable by anyone whose mind and heart are set on the Law of God, the Law of Faith, the Law of the Spirit - who walk in Christ.

In chapter 10 he contrasts that righteousness that is found in Christ with the righteousness of the Jews.

Romans 10:1-13 Brethren, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. 2 For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge. 3 For not knowing about God’s righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the [a]end [or goal] of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

5 For Moses writes that the man who practices the righteousness which is based on law shall live [c]by that righteousness. 6 But the righteousness [d]based on faith speaks as follows: “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ (that is, to bring Christ down), 7 or ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead).” 8 But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 [e]that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, [f]resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, [g]resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes in Him will not be [h]disappointed.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

We see here a repeat of his earlier sentiment about how those in the Spirit CAN fulfill the law. Of these he cites the Deutoronomy passage which states "The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart." Don't ask who will ascend into heaven or descend into the abyss so that you can understand and do these things - you are fully equipped to do what is right if you know God, if you understand his will, if you follow the Spirit.

The error of the Jews is not that they were zealous for God or that they sought righteousness - but that they invented their own righteousness that was not founded upon the knowledge of God. But this knowledge has been preached to us, it is available to all who seek the truth.

It is not good theology to build doctrine on Old Testament scripture.

Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of the Old Testament. From now on the "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17. Not by rules, laws or religion.

While Jesus was dying on the cross God tore the veil that covered the "Holy of Holies" from the top to the the bottom, Matthew 27:51. This signified the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion.

The law is good because it reveals the righteousness of God. And it is our schoolmaster that brings us to Christ.

Scripture does not contradict scripture as you seem to believe. If you live according to law, you will be judged by the law and condemned. Jesus, in your name and on your behalf fulfilled the law and abolished it. To continue to live by law is a denial of the Gospel and justification by faith.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
James was the head of the church in Jerusalem. James sent them.

The men came from the Jerusalem congregation but there is no scripture that says they were sent by anyone.

On the contrary, the leaders of the Jerusalem congregation sent a letter to Antioch, Syria and Cillicia saying: "Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, 'You must be circumcised and keep the law'— to whom we gave no such commandment..." (Acts 15:24)

Why don't stick to scripture instead of bearing false witness against Jesus' brother?

csuguy

It is not good theology to build doctrine on Old Testament scripture.

First off, all those passages in that last post were from Romans - the New Testament. Second off, it is ridiculous to assert that good theology is not built off of the Old Testament! Everything in the New Testament scriptures is rooted in the Old Testament. Remember that Christ did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill the law and the prophets. In Christ we find the resolution of the problems, promises, and prophecies of the Old Testament. Jesus himself, as well as the disciples and Paul, were all Jews who studied the Old Testament scriptures. Their teachings are all rooted in these scriptures, and they frequently quote the Old Testament in the New Testament. You are way off base.

Jesus is the end and the fulfillment of the Old Testament. From now on the "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17. Not by rules, laws or religion.

Jesus came to fulfill the law and the prophets, not to abolish them. To truly understand who Christ is and what he accomplished, and will accomplish, one must have a firm grasp of the Old Testament. He didn't abolish rules, law, or religion. That is non-sense. Rather, he instructed us to go forth and make disciples of all nations, teaching them to obey the commandments. He taught that love was the fulfillment of the Law, and instructed us to love one another as he has loved us - even our enemies.

Furthermore, as taught in James 2, faith without works is dead. You speak of faith but clearly have no understanding of what that means. Belief apart from works has no meaning and cannot save you. It is when we act according to how Christ taught us to act that salvation is possible. It is when we do the will of the Lord that we are saved. For you must lose your life to save it.

You constantly attack the concept of "religion" - but the scriptures make no criticism of the concept of religion. You are simply reading your own private ideas into the scriptures. Rather the scriptures tell us what religion is pleasing and acceptable to the Lord.

While Jesus was dying on the cross God tore the veil that covered the "Holy of Holies" from the top to the the bottom, Matthew 27:51. This signified the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion.

Wrong.

Matthew 5:17-20 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.​

The law is good because it reveals the righteousness of God. And it is our schoolmaster that brings us to Christ.

Scripture does not contradict scripture as you seem to believe. If you live according to law, you will be judged by the law and condemned. Jesus, in your name and on your behalf fulfilled the law and abolished it. To continue to live by law is a denial of the Gospel and justification by faith.

I did not assert that scripture contradicted - but rather called you out on attempting to provide scriptures that you felt conflicted with the ones I provided as a means of ignoring them. You have yet to address the fact that under the New Covenant, God's Law is written on our hearts and minds. To deny the law - which has NOT been abolished - is to deny God's place in your heart and mind. You cannot be a Christian and reject God's will and commandments.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
You have no clue what Jesus was saying. He was speaking to the lost sheep, duh.

Matthew 15:24 KJV - You forget WHO Jesus was sent to

We are the lost sheep ... we are the Israel of God. Ethnicity is irrelevant. We are children of Abraham by faith. (Galatians 3:28-29)

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
We are the lost sheep ... we are the Israel of God. Ethnicity is irrelevant. We are children of Abraham by faith. (Galatians 3:28-29)

There is no justification for taking truths for the BOC according to the mystery revealed thru Paul and retroactively cramming them back into Matthew....truth for the nation of Israel.

csuguy

You have no clue what Jesus was saying. He was speaking to the lost sheep, duh.

Matthew 15:24 KJV - You forget WHO Jesus was sent to

Jesus was sent initially to the Jews, but this was never intended to be the extent of his outreach. Hence he commanded his disciples to go and make disciples of all nations.

^ This!

Romans 2:25-29 For indeed circumcision is of value if you practice [v]the Law; but if you are a transgressor [w]of the Law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 So if the [x]uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27 And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who [y]though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor [z]of the Law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

Romans 9:6-8 ... For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel; 7 nor are they all children because they are Abraham’s [d]descendants, but: “[e]through Isaac your [f]descendants will be named.” 8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as [g]descendants.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
There is no justification for taking truths for the BOC according to the mystery revealed thru Paul and retroactively cramming them back into Matthew....truth for the nation of Israel.

Ha, ha, very funny, it was Paul who said, "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God." (Galatians 6:15-16)

Too bad you don't believe the mystery revealed thru Paul.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Ha, ha, very funny, it was Paul who said, "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but a new creation. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God." (Galatians 6:15-16)

Too bad you don't believe the mystery revealed thru Paul.

Who was first in the BOC?

Who was first in the nation of Israel?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER

1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets
Eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
Eph 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

The BOC is a new creation built upon the Apostles, with Christ being the chief cornerstone.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Its King.

Gen_32:28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
Gen_35:10 And God said unto him, Thy name is Jacob: thy name shall not be called any more Jacob, but Israel shall be thy name: and he called his name Israel.
Exo_33:16 For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth.
Lev_20:24 But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I am the LORD your God, which have separated you from other people.

Israel was a particular man whose name GOD changed to Israel, out of whom proceeded the twelve sons/tribes. They were created by GOD to be a separate people unto GOD as His inheritance.
Words in the Bible mean certain things.
Israel is not the BOC.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The BOC is a new creation built upon the Apostles, with Christ being the chief cornerstone.

Christ is the one who brought his ecclesia out of Egypt and gave them his Spirit. The NT church of God is a new creation built on a different priesthood, a change in the law, and a different temple but with the same everlasting covenant.

csuguy

Are Israelites and Levites precluded from being Christians? If so, by whom?

Obviously at the time, Moses and other Jews had no clue who the Son was. They were not Christians. However, there is plenty of scriptural evidence to point out that Moses did come to know Christ after his death - for he appeared alive with Christ in the NT.

At any rate, the Body of Christ should not be thought limited to NT Christians. The Body of Christ is spiritual Israel, which we have been merged onto.