ECT The sneaky sin of Self-Righteousness

C

CJLind

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I am still very new here in this Forum and i do enjoy the great discussions going on, so much food for thought! However, one thing really strikes me, how professing Christians can treat each other with such contempt. I guess it is a mirror of our society where it is all about "the winner takes it all" and a "they and us" mentality. Maybe this is evidence for Matthew 10:34 coming true?
I have very mixed feelings about the Apostle Paul, mainly because of my limited understanding and shortcomings but this I guess, I share with all of humanity (Romans 3:23), and his way of writing. However, I can fully understand and fully agree with him in Romans 2:1: "1Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things. 2We know that the judgment of God rightly falls on those who practice such things. 3Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God? 4Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? 5But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed."
Also compare with what Jesus says in Matthew 5:22 : "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire"
Let´s be honest, the Sin of Self-Righteousness is probably one of the most difficult ones to overcome, and we all suffer from it from time to time, and if one has it, one is likely not to know it (Check also Proverbs 2:15: "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.").
So what to do? I guess Proverbs 26 tells us the way to go:
"4Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest you be like him yourself.
5Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise in his own eyes."
"11Like a dog that returns to his vomit
is a fool who repeats his folly.
12Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for him."

There is not much hope for the Self-Righteous Fool am afraid. At least not from a human perspective. However, nothing is impossible for our Lord and Saviour, so we shouldn´t give up, but pray for HIS intervention to save them/us from this deadly and sneaky sin.

musterion

Do you realize that in continuing to doubt the Apostle Paul, you are holding him in a degree of self-righteous contempt, as well as the Lord who Paul said he spoke for? This is what I tried to tell you last night: you can't have this both ways. Either you trust the Bible as the trustworthy and sufficient Word of God, or you do not.

C

CJLind

Do you realize that in continuing to doubt the Apostle Paul, you are holding him in a degree of self-righteous contempt, as well as the Lord who Paul said he spoke for? This is what I tried to tell you last night: you can't have this both ways. Either you trust the Bible as the trustworthy and sufficient Word of God, or you do not.

Yeah, i know. And you, did you read the rest of the post and in its entire context?

Cross Reference

What's sneaky about it? A true Christian recognizes it up front as pride he has to deal with. If he doesn't want to, he has a larger problem.

C

CJLind

What's sneaky about it? A true Christian recognizes it up front as pride he has to deal with. If he doesn't want to, he has a larger problem.

Ish, so you say, you are completely free of it? I know I am not, i strive for perfection, because that´s we were called for. However, I see BS where there is BS, and i won´t stop calling it BS, just because some of you guys think you have a monopoly on the truth...

C

CJLind

Do you believe what Paul wrote is as much God's Word as what Peter, Ezekiel or Hosea wrote?

Can you show me where it is written that I have to believe in the Apostle Paul in order to get saved?

C

CJLind

You know guys, I came to believe that the devil´s biggest trick ever is to make Christians fight each other, condemning each other...he can just continue to mislead the great majority of people because WE, who are chosen by the Almighty Himself, use most of our energy for futile discussions about doctrines, which i think i heard someone referring to as "mental masturbation", instead of using our energy to get the GOOD NEWS out there. Just sad.

C

CJLind

That's not what I asked.

Are Paul's writings as much God's Word as those of any other Bible writer? Yes or no.

I don´t think You are in the position to demand accountability from me. So why do you care what i believe ?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I am still very new here in this Forum and i do enjoy the great discussions going on, so much food for thought! However, one thing really strikes me, how professing Christians can treat each other with such contempt. I guess it is a mirror of our society where it is all about "the winner takes it all" and a "they and us" mentality. Maybe this is evidence for Matthew 10:34 coming true?
I have very mixed feelings about the Apostle Paul, mainly because of my limited understanding and shortcomings but this I guess, I share with all of humanity (Romans 3:23), and his way of writing. However, I can fully understand and fully agree with him in Romans 2:1: "1Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things. 2We know that the judgment of God rightly falls on those who practice such things. 3Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God? 4Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? 5But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed."
Also compare with what Jesus says in Matthew 5:22 : "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire"
Let´s be honest, the Sin of Self-Righteousness is probably one of the most difficult ones to overcome, and we all suffer from it from time to time, and if one has it, one is likely not to know it (Check also Proverbs 2:15: "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice.").
So what to do? I guess Proverbs 26 tells us the way to go:
"4Answer not a fool according to his folly,
lest you be like him yourself.
5Answer a fool according to his folly,
lest he be wise in his own eyes."
"11Like a dog that returns to his vomit
is a fool who repeats his folly.
12Do you see a man who is wise in his own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for him."

There is not much hope for the Self-Righteous Fool am afraid. At least not from a human perspective. However, nothing is impossible for our Lord and Saviour, so we shouldn´t give up, but pray for HIS intervention to save them/us from this deadly and sneaky sin.
I think you should read the rules of ECT forum before you post here, Debating the validity of portions of the Bible is not the purpose of this section.

C

CJLind

1. Thou SHALL NOT use profanity or insinuated profanity on this forum. Crass potty humor is also discouraged here at TOL.

Well, i guess we have a different definition of that, Mr Kett! Anyway, from my side this is it. Told you what I was told to tell you. Bye

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Where am I doing that?
Your post isn't that clear. I also sent you a private message since you are new to this board. Please read the rules of this website. ;)

Aimiel

For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another) in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

C

CJLind

For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another) in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

it seems as if the day is here...or what do you think?

Aimiel

I think that giving someone the reasons you hold your beliefs the way you do is one of the instructions we're given in Scripture. I also believe that The Word of God causes contention. Jesus came to bring a sword. Iron sharpens iron. He came to set fire to this earth and wished it was already lit. Faithful are the wounds of a friend. A word fitly spoken is like golden apples in a silver background (in other words: VERY GOOD).