The One True Church

Right Divider

Body part
so why did Jesus use the name peter when talking about His church?
It's called a "play on words". Look it up.
G4074

Πέτρος
Petros
pet'-ros
Apparently a primary word; a (piece of) rock (larger than G3037); as a name, Petrus, an apostle: - Peter, rock. Compare G2786.
Total KJV occurrences: 162

G4073

πέτρα
petra
pet'-ra
Feminine of the same as G4074; a (mass of) rock (literally or figuratively): - rock.
Total KJV occurrences: 16​

Prizebeatz1

There is only ONE TRUE CHURCH. It is the ONE that God through Christ created on the cross. It is the Body of Christ Who is its Head. And one good news: all of us are members. But only overcomers will not be blotted out from its registry of members, the book of life.

Any objection? Then let's discuss, lovingly.

Why do so many different denominations believe theirs is the one true church? Can all of them be the one true church at the same time? What justifies our belief that we are in the one true church? Is it not our own or someone else's interpretation? Does this interpretation come from God or from man?

Right Divider

Body part
Yes, I did.

Scriptures say so.

I already told you in the OP. You are even among its members.
Samie, you are so confused that you think that you can say two contradictory things and that they can both be true.
-> If the church was created at the cross; it cannot be the same church as the one in the wilderness.

-> If the church in the wilderness is the same church; it cannot have been created at the cross.​
You are completely confused and illogical.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
so why did Jesus use the name peter when talking about His church?

It's called a "play on words". Look it up.
G4074

Πέτρος
Petros
pet'-ros
Apparently a primary word; a (piece of) rock (larger than G3037); as a name, Petrus, an apostle: - Peter, rock. Compare G2786.
Total KJV occurrences: 162

G4073

πέτρα
petra
pet'-ra
Feminine of the same as G4074; a (mass of) rock (literally or figuratively): - rock.
Total KJV occurrences: 16​

whoa!
no wonder the bible is so hard to understand
we need someone to guide us
but
who has the authority to do that?

way 2 go

so who is peter?

Matthew 16:18King James Version (KJV)

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
1 of the 12

Mat 16:23 But he turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man."

Samie

Samie, you are so confused that you think that you can say two contradictory things and that they can both be true.
-> If the church was created at the cross; it cannot be the same church as the one in the wilderness.

-> If the church in the wilderness is the same church; it cannot have been created at the cross.​
You are completely confused and illogical.
I told you the church in the wilderness is part of the One True Church. Just like your "church" (claiming it is the OTC?) which is also part of the OTC. Remember, it's people that comprise a "church". You seem to be the one confused, my brother.

When God through Christ created the OTC at the cross, he tore down the dividing walls that separate Jews from Gentiles. Sadly, the claims to being the OTC of almost all denominations seem to painstakingly put up the dividing wall that Jesus tore down. Whereas there was one dividing wall tore down by the Lord, now more walls have been put up.

Right Divider

Body part
I told you the church in the wilderness is part of the One True Church.
There is only ONE TRUE CHURCH. It is the ONE that God through Christ created on the cross.
Please feel free to get your story straight before you start posting. It will save everyone some time trying to untwist the story.

Just like your "church" (claiming it is the OTC?) which is also part of the OTC. Remember, it's people that comprise a "church". You seem to be the one confused, my brother.
You're the one claiming that two contradictory things are both true, so you're in no position to call anyone else confused.

When God through Christ created the OTC at the cross, he tore down the dividing walls that separate Jews from Gentiles.
Gentiles were always welcome to join with Israel.
Exo 12:48-49 KJV And when a stranger shall sojourn with thee, and will keep the passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land: for no uncircumcised person shall eat thereof. (49) One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.
Sadly, the claims to being the OTC of almost all denominations seem to painstakingly put up the dividing wall that Jesus tore down. Whereas there was one dividing wall tore down by the Lord, now more walls have been put up.
Not by me.

Prizebeatz1

So who gets to decide what happens after Peter? Can we safely assume Peter had the ability to pass down the keys to the kingdom? Is there anything to support this other than man-made interpretation? It seems to be a free-for-all. Maybe we're missing the point. Maybe the story of Peter is more beneficial when we realize it is really about us. Perhaps it will do some good to realize that we are the ones with the keys to the kingdom. Maybe it is up to each and every one of us to go through the door for ourselves.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I object
it doesn't make sense
the purpose of the church is to preach the gospel
peter was given the keys
and
the power to bind and loose
he was in charge
without someone in charge
there are endless arguments
peter was asked three times to feed the sheep
that is why the pope guides the flock

body of Christ

we are all part of the body
and
the purpose of the life we lead
is
to determine whether or not we will continue to be a part of that body

So?

fzappa13

So who gets to decide what happens after Peter? Can we safely assume Peter had the ability to pass down the keys to the kingdom? Is there anything to support this other than man-made interpretation? It seems to be a free-for-all. Maybe we're missing the point. Maybe the story of Peter is more beneficial when we realize it is really about us. Perhaps it will do some good to realize that we are the ones with the keys to the kingdom. Maybe it is up to each and every one of us to go through the door for ourselves.

Denominationalism is forever trying to set up people and doctrines between the kingdom and those who would enter therein. I suspect it will be that way until Christ returns. You asked who gets to decide what happens after Peter. Perhaps the better question is who gets to decide what happens after Paul:

Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

Right Divider

Body part
I object
it doesn't make sense
the purpose of the church is to preach the gospel
peter was given the keys
and
the power to bind and loose
he was in charge
without someone in charge
there are endless arguments
peter was asked three times to feed the sheep
that is why the pope guides the flock

body of Christ

we are all part of the body
and
the purpose of the life we lead
is
to determine whether or not we will continue to be a part of that body
What a pile of silliness. If you don't live up to the "popes" standards, he performs an amputation?

You are just so lost, along with too many.

Peter was ONE of TWELVE. He was NOT given anything that the others were not. He was AN ELDER, like them.
1Pe 5:1 KJV The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:
Peter NEVER ever claimed that singular position that your bogus organization attempts to elevate him to.

Prizebeatz1

Denominationalism is forever trying to set up people and doctrines between the kingdom and those who would enter therein. I suspect it will be that way until Christ returns. You asked who gets to decide what happens after Peter. Perhaps the better question is who gets to decide what happens after Paul:

Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

That's an interesting twist. If Peter was given the keys then why did he seem to have less influence over Christianity in comparison to Paul?

fzappa13

That's an interesting twist. If Peter was given the keys then why did he seem to have less influence over Christianity in comparison to Paul?

I think that perspective depends largely upon your point and place in time and your chosen denomination. On this website you will find followers of Jesus, Paul and Peter. To me, they were all pointing to and talking about the same thing but, without doubt, I hold a minority opinion here as it concerns that perspective.

Samie

If that were true, then, Abraham and the men of faith of the OT were not listed as members in its register. Obviously, your claim could not be true.

Again, there is only One True Church - the Body of Christ. It's members are all those whose names are found written in its registry of members - the book of life.

Prizebeatz1

If that were true, then, Abraham and the men of faith of the OT were not listed as members in its register. Obviously, your claim could not be true.

Again, there is only One True Church - the Body of Christ. It's members are all those whose names are found written in its registry of members - the book of life.

Another interesting viewpoint. But isn't everyone's name written in the book of life? After all, we are all alive. How are we to interpret who or what is this book of life?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the purpose of the church is to teach
Jesus asked peter to feed His sheep
to teach
you must have authority

HisServant

the purpose of the church is to teach
Jesus asked peter to feed His sheep
to teach
you must have authority

Actually, comes authority COMES from its teaching and is affirmed by the hearer through the holy spirit.

Some who claims authority who is in a position where they are not accountable to the ekklesia is a false teacher.