The Men's Rights movement

elohiym

I wasn't aware of this before happening across a link to this.

I started a thread on the topic of male rights just last month: Male rights issues. The term male rights better describes what the video you posted is about because it encompasses the rights of infant males.

Do you have an opinion on the subject? Are there any male rights issues that are important to you?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Are there specific rights that you believe men are being denied?

Granite

Hall of Fame
The right to choose to be circumcised.

Mmm, yes, indeed.

And who started that again?:rolleyes:

Or better yet, popularized it here...

Overall I think the MRM is pretty ridiculous at best and grotesque at worst. Which is often.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The right to choose to be circumcised.

That's legitimate ... and one of those issues that come with both pro's and con's.

Honestly, I don't see children as being men or women insofar as making informed medical decisions for themselves. At the same time, I have also spoken out against children being allowed to make the decision regarding gender reassignment surgery prior to adulthood.

I can't really think of any other issue outside of abortion that men do not have equal rights on.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The right to prevent the abortion of his offspring.

Agreed ... and I actually mentioned that in my reply to you.

The biggest problem I can see for this would be the right of men to demand that women abort their unborn baby.

elohiym

Mmm, yes, indeed.

And who started that again?:rolleyes:

Are you unfamiliar with the history of circumcision?

God commanded Abraham to cut only a portion of the foreskin, not remove the foreskin entirely and damage the organ. The circumcision procedure was modified at least twice by the Jews which resulted in what we have going on today. Circumcision is not commanded any longer in any form. It was introduced into our culture again in the 19th century by medical practitioners for reasons they had no evidence to support. Go look up Kellogg's recommendations for circumcising young boys against their wills if you want to see the level of quackery that brought us modern-day male genital mutilation.

Overall I think the MRM is pretty ridiculous at best and grotesque at worst. Which is often.

Why do you say that?

musterion

The biggest problem I can see for this would be the right of men to demand that women abort their unborn baby.

No man should have that right. I'd say that even if I was pro-abortion.

I also believe the father of a child should have the legal right to stop the mother of his child from aborting his child.

elohiym

Agreed ... and I actually mentioned that in my reply to you.

The solution is making abortion illegal, but until that time men should have the right to at least prevent the abortion of their child.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I believe the father of a child should have the legal right to stop the mother of his child from aborting his child.

I agree ... though I do need to point out that that particular right would also usher in the right for the father to DEMAND the mother abort their child. The solution is fairly simple: ban abortion.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The solution is making abortion illegal, but until that time men should have the right to at least prevent the abortion of their child.

I agree with that ... wholeheartedly. As I stated to Musterion, the flipside would be giving men the option of demanding that women abort their child.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No man should have that right. I'd say that even if I was pro-abortion.

I also believe the father of a child should have the legal right to stop the mother of his child from aborting his child.

Of course ... I was just throwing out the arguments you would receive from the pro-abort crowd.

Though we could go deeper into the issue and discuss the right of fathers to stop adoption proceedings and the right of legal and physical custody of children, including newborns.

musterion

Though we could go deeper into the issue and discuss the right of fathers to stop adoption proceedings and the right of legal and physical custody of children, including newborns.

Not being nasty or dismissive but, what would be the point? You know as well as I that the "It's her body" crowd trumps all arguments to the contrary, even a father (husband or not) who says, "But THE BABY is half ME!" That counts for zip today.

elohiym

There's a lot of overlap with the pick up artist "subculture," if you can actually call it that. And a lot of overt misogyny. Alphas? Betas? Kind of pathetic.

Yes, yes! I agree with you on that. They are like the misandrists within the feminist movement; we don't dismiss the feminist movement because of them, right? There may be legitimate reasons to dismiss claims from both feminists and masculinists, but some claims are compelling, like the right to choose circumcision or to prevent the abortion of one's child.