The Law can be used lawfully. What do you think this means?

Of course it did, just like speed limits cause us to want to speed.

Somebody has finally figured out what the problem with the world has been, all this time. If there were no laws to make people want to break them, there wouldn't be any crime. Makes sense to me.

Right Divider

Body part
I have responded in such a way as to show that we should obey Jesus' commands but that this command was for a specific time period for His disciples.
This is my point which you still don't seem to grasp, even though your are confirming it.

Some instructions in the Bible are for CERTAIN people at CERTAIN times.

I understand the words The Great Commission are not in scripture.
No, it is not. And calling it such has created a myth that most of Churchianity has so widely and blindly accepted that they cannot see it for what is really was.

Here is Jesus' instruction to His eleven disciples.

Matthew 28:16-20 NASB - 16 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. 17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. 18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
So why do you think that these instructions are for YOU? Were you one of those that will sit on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel?

I believe people still need to become disciples and be taught to observe what Jesus commanded.
Jesus commanded observance of the Law of Moses. So you're advocating that we need to follow the Law of Moses? Even though you have admitted that you don't.

JonahofAkron

Oh really? Show me the verse about speed limits.

It is a completely INVALID comparison, which makes it ILLOGICAL.

I can see why so many here on TOL believe such silly stuff.
Hahahahaha. Sorry I should have said that it makes this type of argument. He didn't make that exact one. Great obfuscation, though.

It's a perfect comparison. The Torah has commands about safety, like the speed limit, and when we get in a hurry, we ignore the commands to the detriment to ourselves and others in favor of lawlessness. It's exactly the same-it's very presence is a challenge to our 'freedom' and, thus, we rebel.

Sent from my SM-N910T using TheologyOnline mobile app

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
This is my point which you still don't seem to grasp, even though your are confirming it.
I don't have a problem making this point. I also believe it would be wrong to say Jesus' commands are not for today.
Some instructions in the Bible are for CERTAIN people at CERTAIN times.

No, it is not. And calling it such has created a myth that most of Churchianity has so widely and blindly accepted that they cannot see it for what is really was.

So why do you think that these instructions are for YOU? Were you one of those that will sit on TWELVE thrones judging the TWELVE tribes of Israel?
I believe disciples have been made by more than the twelve apostles, down to our very day.
Jesus commanded observance of the Law of Moses. So you're advocating that we need to follow the Law of Moses? Even though you have admitted that you don't.
I am not sure what you are saying here. I have no problem with the Law of Moses. It is true that I don't wear tzit-tzit. I do observe many of God's commands found in the Law of Moses. Are you telling me something is wrong here? I don't see anything wrong with observing God's commands.

Jeremiah 31:31-34 NASB - 31 "Behold, days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the LORD. 33 "But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declares the LORD, "I will put My law within them and on their heart I will write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34 "They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

Luke 22:7-20 NASB - 7 Then came the first day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. 8 And Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and prepare the Passover for us, so that we may eat it." 9 They said to Him, "Where do You want us to prepare it?" 10 And He said to them, "When you have entered the city, a man will meet you carrying a pitcher of water; follow him into the house that he enters. 11 "And you shall say to the owner of the house, 'The Teacher says to you, "Where is the guest room in which I may eat the Passover with My disciples?"' 12 "And he will show you a large, furnished upper room; prepare it there." 13 And they left and found everything just as He had told them; and they prepared the Passover. 14 When the hour had come, He reclined at the table, and the apostles with Him. 15 And He said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 for I say to you, I shall never again eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." 17 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He said, "Take this and share it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes." 19 And when He had taken some bread and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me." 20 And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup which is poured out for you is the new covenant in My blood.

Ben Masada

"What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "You shall not covet" (Romans 7:7).

The law lets me know what is sinful. If I covet I will know that is a sin because the law tells me so.

That's an evidence that wherever you read Paul fighting or denying the Law, he had in mind the moral Law of the Decalogue that Jesus confessed loud and clear that he had not come to abolish as we have in Matthew 5:17-19 and Paul contradicted him by implying that he was either lying or did not know what he was talking about. (Ephesians 2:15)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
1 Timothy 1:1-11 NASB - 1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus according to the commandment of God our Savior, and of Christ Jesus, who is our hope, 2 To Timothy, my true child in the faith: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. 3 As I urged you upon my departure for Macedonia, remain on at Ephesus so that you may instruct certain men not to teach strange doctrines, 4 nor to pay attention to myths and endless genealogies, which give rise to mere speculation rather than furthering the administration of God which is by faith. 5 But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. 6 For some men, straying from these things, have turned aside to fruitless discussion, 7 wanting to be teachers of the Law, even though they do not understand either what they are saying or the matters about which they make confident assertions. 8 But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9 realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers 10 and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, 11 according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.

I say that this says the Law can be used lawfully. What does it mean for the Law to be used lawfully? What do you think it means?

The whole of Romans 7 is in answer to this question.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Some great anti-logic there jamie.

More great anti-logic there jamie.

Law is law is law, and guns don't kill people ... people kill people. And it's against the law in most cases.

Point? Don't blame the law, it simply shows us what is acceptable and what is not acceptable in terms of behavior.

"So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty." (James)

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of course it did, just like speed limits cause us to want to speed.

My speedometer goes to 160 but I hardly ever drive that fast in town.
"If God didn't want me going 160 mph, He wouldn't have put 160 on my speedometer."

- Floyd R. Turbo on the Johnny Carson Show

:eek:

[h=1][/h]

Bradley D

That's an evidence that wherever you read Paul fighting or denying the Law, he had in mind the moral Law of the Decalogue that Jesus confessed loud and clear that he had not come to abolish as we have in Matthew 5:17-19 and Paul contradicted him by implying that he was either lying or did not know what he was talking about. (Ephesians 2:15)

Jesus fulfilled the law by being sinless. Thus we are able to be saved through Jesus' sacrifice for us. We have a High Priest in heaven who we can turn to, to have our sins forgiven.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

What is the law of commandments contained in ordinances and what is the enmity that was abolished?

Epoisses

"If God didn't want me going 160 mph, He wouldn't have put 160 on my speedometer."

- Floyd R. Turbo on the Johnny Carson Show

:eek:
[h=1][/h]

Physical laws are far different than spiritual laws!! Does faith in Jesus counteract the law of gravity? hey, I believe in Jesus I can float to the moon now!

Right Divider

Body part
Law is law is law, and guns don't kill people ... people kill people. And it's against the law in most cases.
Amazing jamie. No wonder you can't think straight. No wonder your doctrine is SO wrong.

So you think that man-made, arbitrary speed-limits are on par with God's perfect moral law?

Point? Don't blame the law, it simply shows us what is acceptable and what is not acceptable in terms of behavior.
That is NOT what you said in that post about speed-limits.

"So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty." (James)
Quotes out of context do not help support your case.

Right Divider

Body part
I don't have a problem making this point. I also believe it would be wrong to say Jesus' commands are not for today.

I believe disciples have been made by more than the twelve apostles, down to our very day.I am not sure what you are saying here. I have no problem with the Law of Moses. It is true that I don't wear tzit-tzit. I do observe many of God's commands found in the Law of Moses. Are you telling me something is wrong here? I don't see anything wrong with observing God's commands.
God does NOT grade on a curve. You either obey it ALL or you fail.

Jas 2:10 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:10) For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
God does NOT grade on a curve. You either obey it ALL or you fail.

Jas 2:10 (AKJV/PCE)
(2:10) For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.

I am already a Christian and saved. I am just being honest that I don't wear tzitzit.