The Late Great Urantia Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Not at all. There is no comparison to the UB and the BoM, if that's what you're alluding. Have you read the OP and followed along to even know what the UB is, what it teaches or read any portion of it? First 5 papers are essential, if you're interested in its theology of 'God'. Its kind of essential for an informed discussion on it. Otherwise one speaks from ignorance and assumption, as some here do.

A history of the Urantia Papers

See the OP, and read thru the thread, ample commentary, resource-articles, videos have been provided, so that 'ignorance' is unnecessary, that is if you're interested in being 'informed' to engage in an intelligent discussion.

You're coming from a false presupposition, so your conclusion will be erroneous. While there are mysterious means indicated in the transmission process, it was all in English, transcribed down on paper, then eventually published in 1955.

~*~*~

Intro to the UB

Intro. Articles

UB online nexus

pj

Anyone interested in looking into the "Urantia Book" must first
realize, it's a 'work of fiction' and not to be taken seriously!
However, if you're naive, and boast of having a very low IQ,
then, the UB might be right up your alley? The Urantia Book
is aimed at those who are missing a huge amount of grey matter
and have nothing going on in their lives! If that sounds like you,
then, feel free to indulge in this, not so well written piece of
fictional sludge!

Caino

BANNED
Banned
:think: Took a page from that devious Golden Plates episode did they?

I had of course, suspected as much. What language were they translating from? Egyptian again?

The life of Jesus in the UB came from "Midwayers", a type of celestial being that have been on the planet from long before Christ.

While most of the UB is translated from several different languages used in different sectors of the celestial universe, the statement of the Midwayers indicates that they would have drawn from a number of different sources, mostly languages of the period of Christ.

Hebrew came from the Canaanite group of languages and dates to about 900 B.C., long after Moses lived, so Genesis would have been translated into Hebrew at some point. (see my wiki bellow)

Midwayer:

(1343.1) 121:8.12 [Acknowledgment: In carrying out my commission to restate the teachings and retell the doings of Jesus of Nazareth, I have drawn freely upon all sources of record and planetary information. My ruling motive has been to prepare a record which will not only be enlightening to the generation of men now living, but which may also be helpful to all future generations. From the vast store of information made available to me, I have chosen that which is best suited to the accomplishment of this purpose. As far as possible I have derived my information from purely human sources. Only when such sources failed, have I resorted to those records which are superhuman. When ideas and concepts of Jesus’ life and teachings have been acceptably expressed by a human mind, I invariably gave preference to such apparently human thought patterns. Although I have sought to adjust the verbal expression the better to conform to our concept of the real meaning and the true import of the Master’s life and teachings, as far as possible, I have adhered to the actual human concept and thought pattern in all my narratives. I well know that those concepts which have had origin in the human mind will prove more acceptable and helpful to all other human minds. When unable to find the necessary concepts in the human records or in human expressions, I have next resorted to the memory resources of my own order of earth creatures, the midwayers. And when that secondary source of information proved inadequate, I have unhesitatingly resorted to the superplanetary sources of information.

(1343.2) 121:8.13 The memoranda which I have collected, and from which I have prepared this narrative of the life and teachings of Jesus — aside from the memory of the record of the Apostle Andrew — embrace thought gems and superior concepts of Jesus’ teachings assembled from more than two thousand human beings who have lived on earth from the days of Jesus down to the time of the inditing of these revelations, more correctly restatements. The revelatory permission has been utilized only when the human record and human concepts failed to supply an adequate thought pattern. My revelatory commission forbade me to resort to extrahuman sources of either information or expression until such a time as I could testify that I had failed in my efforts to find the required conceptual expression in purely human sources.

(1343.3) 121:8.14 While I, with the collaboration of my eleven associate fellow midwayers and under the supervision of the Melchizedek of record, have portrayed this narrative in accordance with my concept of its effective arrangement and in response to my choice of immediate expression, nevertheless, the majority of the ideas and even some of the effective expressions which I have thus utilized had their origin in the minds of the men of many races who have lived on earth during the intervening generations, right on down to those who are still alive at the time of this undertaking. In many ways I have served more as a collector and editor than as an original narrator. I have unhesitatingly appropriated those ideas and concepts, preferably human, which would enable me to create the most effective portraiture of Jesus’ life, and which would qualify me to restate his matchless teachings in the most strikingly helpful and universally uplifting phraseology. In behalf of the Brotherhood of the United Midwayers of Urantia, I most gratefully acknowledge our indebtedness to all sources of record and concept which have been hereinafter utilized in the further elaboration of our restatement of Jesus’ life on earth.]UB 1955

Wiki:

"Hebrew belongs to the Canaanite group of languages. In turn, the Canaanite languages are a branch of the Northwest Semitic family of languages.[16]

According to Avraham ben-Yosef, Hebrew flourished as a spoken language in the kingdoms of Israel and Judah, during about 1200 to 586 BCE.[17][unreliable source?] Scholars debate the degree to which Hebrew was a spoken vernacular in ancient times following the Babylonian exile, when the predominant international language in the region was Old Aramaic.

Hebrew was nearly extinct as a spoken language by Late Antiquity, but it continued to be used as a literary language and as the liturgical language of Judaism, evolving various dialects of literary Medieval Hebrew, until its revival as a spoken language in the late 19th century."

Caino

BANNED
Banned
Jesus was fluent in 3 languages and learned others during his travels as a tutor.

(1358.11) 123:2.14 Though Joseph was now assuming the direct responsibility for Jesus’ intellectual and religious education, his mother still interested herself in his home training. She taught him to know and care for the vines and flowers growing about the garden walls which completely surrounded the home plot. She also provided on the roof of the house (the summer bedroom) shallow boxes of sand in which Jesus worked out maps and did much of his early practice at writing Aramaic, Greek, and later on, Hebrew, for in time he learned to read, write, and speak, fluently, all three languages......
=
=

Events of the Sixth Year (1 B.C.)

(1359.2) 123:3.1 Already, with his mother’s help, Jesus had mastered the Galilean dialect of the Aramaic tongue; and now his father began teaching him Greek. Mary spoke little Greek, but Joseph was a fluent speaker of both Aramaic and Greek. The textbook for the study of the Greek language was the copy of the Hebrew scriptures — a complete version of the law and the prophets, including the Psalms — which had been presented to them on leaving Egypt. There were only two complete copies of the Scriptures in Greek in all Nazareth, and the possession of one of them by the carpenter’s family made Joseph’s home a much-sought place and enabled Jesus, as he grew up, to meet an almost endless procession of earnest students and sincere truth seekers. Before this year ended, Jesus had assumed custody of this priceless manuscript, having been told on his sixth birthday that the sacred book had been presented to him by Alexandrian friends and relatives. And in a very short time he could read it readily.

(1359.3) 123:3.2 The first great shock of Jesus’ young life occurred when he was not quite six years old. It had seemed to the lad that his father — at least his father and mother together — knew everything. Imagine, therefore, the surprise of this inquiring child, when he asked his father the cause of a mild earthquake which had just occurred, to hear Joseph say, “My son, I really do not know.” Thus began that long and disconcerting disillusionment in the course of which Jesus found out that his earthly parents were not all-wise and all-knowing." UB 1955

Caino

BANNED
Banned
The first sentence of the UB:

"THE Universal Father is the God of all creation, the First Source and Center of all things and beings."

The last sentence:

"When all is said and done, the Father idea is still the highest human concept of God."

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
The first sentence of the UB:

"THE Universal Father is the God of all creation, the First Source and Center of all things and beings."

The last sentence:

"When all is said and done, the Father idea is still the highest human concept of God."

Those two lines passes the test of the spirit.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
"There was only one factor of a tribal, racial, or national nature about the primitive and unorganized beliefs of the desert, and that was the peculiar and general respect which almost all Arabian tribes were willing to pay to a certain black stone fetish in a certain temple at Mecca. This point of common contact and reverence subsequently led to the establishment of the Islamic religion. What Yahweh, the volcano spirit, was to the Jewish Semites, the Kaaba stone became to their Arabic cousins."

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
different tongues......

different tongues......

Jesus was fluent in 3 languages and learned others during his travels as a tutor.

Events of the Sixth Year (1 B.C.)

(1359.2) 123:3.1 Already, with his mother’s help, Jesus had mastered the Galilean dialect of the Aramaic tongue; and now his father began teaching him Greek. Mary spoke little Greek, but Joseph was a fluent speaker of both Aramaic and Greek. The textbook for the study of the Greek language was the copy of the Hebrew scriptures — a complete version of the law and the prophets, including the Psalms — which had been presented to them on leaving Egypt. There were only two complete copies of the Scriptures in Greek in all Nazareth, and the possession of one of them by the carpenter’s family made Joseph’s home a much-sought place and enabled Jesus, as he grew up, to meet an almost endless procession of earnest students and sincere truth seekers. Before this year ended, Jesus had assumed custody of this priceless manuscript, having been told on his sixth birthday that the sacred book had been presented to him by Alexandrian friends and relatives. And in a very short time he could read it readily.

- UB 1955

Would you say that this copy of the Hebrew scriptures mentioned was the Septuagint? By 'copy' is this referring to the greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures? There is some controversy of the Septuagint itself, so this would be interesting if the papers are inferring it :)

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Look to the teaching............

Look to the teaching............

Those two lines passes the test of the spirit.

Indeed,....this is what most of the 'nay-sayers' here miss, the principles, ethics and values clearly taught and promoted in the UB. Such are the fundamentals of true religion.

pj

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Indeed,....this is what most of the 'nay-sayers' here miss, the principles, ethics and values clearly taught and promoted in the UB. Such are the fundamentals of true religion.

pj

that may be true. the same things are taught in The Bible. ub likely took everything from The Bible and changed words and added things. possibly, to put things into everyday words with modern concepts, science and technology. it may be easier to read than The Bible, for people that think they don't want to, or need to read The Bible. it might be easier to understand for some folks that refuse to try UNDERSTANDING The Bible. i'm sure it contains good advice on being a good person, but anything that changes God's Word in ANY way, is idolatry at minimum. idolatry comes in countless forms. smart phones, tv, books, anything that can distract us from God. so, we all do it to a certain extent, we have to be aware of ourselves; IN CHRIST always. but, buy me a copy and ship it to me, i'll read it and tell you what's wrong. lol - :wave2:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The life of Jesus in the UB came from "Midwayers", a type of celestial being that have been on the planet from long before Christ.

While most of the UB is translated from several different languages used in different sectors of the celestial universe, the statement of the Midwayers indicates that they would have drawn from a number of different sources, mostly languages of the period of Christ.

Hebrew came from the Canaanite group of languages and dates to about 900 B.C., long after Moses lived, so Genesis would have been translated into Hebrew at some point. (see my wiki bellow)

Midwayer:

(1343.1) 121:8.12 [Acknowledgment: In carrying out my commission to restate the teachings and retell the doings of Jesus of Nazareth, I have drawn freely upon all sources of record and planetary information. My ruling motive has been to prepare a record which will not only be enlightening to the generation of men now living, but which may also be helpful to all future generations. From the vast store of information made available to me, I have chosen that which is best suited to the accomplishment of this purpose. As far as possible I have derived my information from purely human sources. Only when such sources failed, have I resorted to those records which are superhuman. When ideas and concepts of Jesus’ life and teachings have been acceptably expressed by a human mind, I invariably gave preference to such apparently human thought patterns. Although I have sought to adjust the verbal expression the better to conform to our concept of the real meaning and the true import of the Master’s life and teachings, as far as possible, I have adhered to the actual human concept and thought pattern in all my narratives. I well know that those concepts which have had origin in the human mind will prove more acceptable and helpful to all other human minds. When unable to find the necessary concepts in the human records or in human expressions, I have next resorted to the memory resources of my own order of earth creatures, the midwayers. And when that secondary source of information proved inadequate, I have unhesitatingly resorted to the superplanetary sources of information.

(1343.2) 121:8.13 The memoranda which I have collected, and from which I have prepared this narrative of the life and teachings of Jesus — aside from the memory of the record of the Apostle Andrew — embrace thought gems and superior concepts of Jesus’ teachings assembled from more than two thousand human beings who have lived on earth from the days of Jesus down to the time of the inditing of these revelations, more correctly restatements. The revelatory permission has been utilized only when the human record and human concepts failed to supply an adequate thought pattern. My revelatory commission forbade me to resort to extrahuman sources of either information or expression until such a time as I could testify that I had failed in my efforts to find the required conceptual expression in purely human sources.

(1343.3) 121:8.14 While I, with the collaboration of my eleven associate fellow midwayers and under the supervision of the Melchizedek of record, have portrayed this narrative in accordance with my concept of its effective arrangement and in response to my choice of immediate expression, nevertheless, the majority of the ideas and even some of the effective expressions which I have thus utilized had their origin in the minds of the men of many races who have lived on earth during the intervening generations, right on down to those who are still alive at the time of this undertaking. In many ways I have served more as a collector and editor than as an original narrator. I have unhesitatingly appropriated those ideas and concepts, preferably human, which would enable me to create the most effective portraiture of Jesus’ life, and which would qualify me to restate his matchless teachings in the most strikingly helpful and universally uplifting phraseology. In behalf of the Brotherhood of the United Midwayers of Urantia, I most gratefully acknowledge our indebtedness to all sources of record and concept which have been hereinafter utilized in the further elaboration of our restatement of Jesus’ life on earth.]UB 1955

Wiki:

"Hebrew belongs to the Canaanite group of languages. In turn, the Canaanite languages are a branch of the Northwest Semitic family of languages.[16]

According to Avraham ben-Yosef, Hebrew flourished as a spoken language in the kingdoms of Israel and Judah, during about 1200 to 586 BCE.[17][unreliable source?] Scholars debate the degree to which Hebrew was a spoken vernacular in ancient times following the Babylonian exile, when the predominant international language in the region was Old Aramaic.

Hebrew was nearly extinct as a spoken language by Late Antiquity, but it continued to be used as a literary language and as the liturgical language of Judaism, evolving various dialects of literary Medieval Hebrew, until its revival as a spoken language in the late 19th century."

please refrain from using BCE ! it's B.C. ! people that use bce lose all credibility with any subsequent information :shut:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
all is available.......

all is available.......

that may be true. the same things are taught in The Bible. ub likely took everything from The Bible and changed words and added things. possibly, to put things into everyday words with modern concepts, science and technology. it may be easier to read than The Bible, for people that think they don't want to, or need to read The Bible. it might be easier to understand for some folks that refuse to try UNDERSTANDING The Bible. i'm sure it contains good advice on being a good person, but anything that changes God's Word in ANY way, is idolatry at minimum. idolatry comes in countless forms. smart phones, tv, books, anything that can distract us from God. so, we all do it to a certain extent, we have to be aware of ourselves; IN CHRIST always. but, buy me a copy and ship it to me, i'll read it and tell you what's wrong. lol - :wave2:

See the OP (opening post), and many places here in the thread, where you can directly access the UB text online free in the provided links (both text/audio/video too). This thread is chock-full of information and access-points. If you need further help PM me.

See:

Online Study edition with audio (index)

UF site

Truthbook

Cool audio-video presentations

~*~*~

"seek and you will find"

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
time capsules.......

time capsules.......

please refrain from using BCE ! it's B.C. ! people that use bce lose all credibility with any subsequent information :shut:

Splitting hairs ? :) - one can use either acronyms, plus Caino himself used 'B.C.',....it was the quoted wiki article that used B.C.E.....same thing.

See:

Square Circles

~*~*~

pj

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Would you say that this copy of the Hebrew scriptures mentioned was the Septuagint? By 'copy' is this referring to the greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures? There is some controversy of the Septuagint itself, so this would be interesting if the papers are inferring it :)

More "Urantia trash" to be taken out! Could you, when ya get a chance?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
the UB came from "Midwayers", a type of celestial being that have been on the planet from long before Christ.

They came to planet earth in their UFOs and planted seed pods!
These "seed pods" brought forth living creatures that, resembled
human beings! That way, they were able to mix in with their, "Human
counterparts," and establish themselves in all areas of human
interaction! Some of these "Cosmic creatures" came from the planet;
"Metaluna." Others, came from other solar systems. They were
fortunate enough to have longevity, some lived to be, millions
of year's old and took on several important positions throughout
their lives!

Just to mention a few; Abraham Lincoln came from the planet,
"Sostamtakio" in a tiny Galaxy, trillions of miles from planet earth.

Mozart, Beethoven, and Alexander Graham Bell came from the
same Galaxy as Edgar Allen Poe, and Sammy Davis Jr.! Other,
notable beings were; Richard M. Nixon, Hubert Humphrey,
Lon Chaney Jr., Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sir Issac Newton,
The 'Original' Bozo the Clown, (not the impostor,) Elvis
Presley, and Bob Denver (Yes, Gilligan!)

The living "Cosmic beings" of today consist of; Jesse Jackson,
Howard Stern, Her Majesty the Queen of England, Jerry Lewis,
the guy from the Subway commercials, (the one that lost all
that weight) Wilfred Brimley, Jerry Seinfeld, Betty White, and
Al Sharpton!

Caino

BANNED
Banned

As a collection of truths the Bible does contain many priceless fragments of histories and revelations great and small. The celestial authors of the UB drew from many sources of truth in their expanded revelation.

Basically, the OT books were written by the people who rejected Jesus' message and killed him. Those same people still reject him and they use their scripture to do it. But it was because many of Jesus' followers were Jews that they tried to connect Jesus to the OT presentation as they understood it. They sewed the new fabric onto the old, they put the new wine into the old wineskins.

Then Paul barged in with his own ideas and theology which started the Christian religion. Most of the NT is about Paul's personal opinions of the Jesus that he never knew in the flesh. Jesus taught the gospel of the kingdom not Christ and him crucified!

Lastly, you talk about UNDERSTANDING the Bible, which understanding? Everyone has a different understanding, all over TOL Christians are nasty to each other each with their own special understanding telling the others they aren't saved.

Caino

BANNED
Banned

That's what Jesus' quibbling, lawyerly enemies did, desperately looked for any trifle to argue about! People do this on this thread a lot, they don't address what was presented, they swallow camels then swat at gnats.

Caino

BANNED
Banned
"Knowledge is the sphere of the material or fact-discerning mind. Truth is the domain of the spiritually endowed intellect that is conscious of knowing God. Knowledge is demonstrable; truth is experienced. Knowledge is a possession of the mind; truth an experience of the soul, the progressing self. Knowledge is a function of the nonspiritual level; truth is a phase of the mind-spirit level of the universes. The eye of the material mind perceives a world of factual knowledge; the eye of the spiritualized intellect discerns a world of true values. These two views, synchronized and harmonized, reveal the world of reality, wherein wisdom interprets the phenomena of the universe in terms of progressive personal experience."
=
=

(333.7) 30:1.99 God, as a superperson, eventuates; God, as a person, creates; God, as a preperson, fragments; and such an Adjuster fragment of himself evolves the spirit soul upon the material and mortal mind in accordance with the freewill choosing of the personality which has been bestowed upon such a mortal creature by the parental act of God as a Father."

Status
Not open for further replies.