The Gospel Plus NOTHING and NOTHING but the GOSPEL

Robert Pate

Banned
That was the motto for Vedict Publications. Verdict was a theological publication that was written by Christian scholars. Verdict was a world wide publication that was directed to pastors and seminary professors. Many Christian scholars participated in the publication of Verdict. I supported Verdict for a number of years until the publisher of Verdict, Robert D. Brinsmead retired.

Most of what I have learned about the Gospel and justification by faith, I learned from Verdict. I was a supporter and subscriber for about 20 years. There was also another publication called "Evangelica" that was published by Alan Crandall and Alexander LaBrecque that was pretty much the same as Verdict. It also centered on the Gospel and justification by faith. Both were excellent publications and were very enlightening.

If it is the Gospel plus something, then it is no longer the Gospel. If it is the Gospel plus religion then it is no longer the Gospel. The Gospel is a very unique doctrine in that it stands alone and calls all other doctrines and religions into question. This is why it is the "Gospel plus nothing and nothing but the Gospel". There was no religion in the early church, there was only the Gospel of Jesus Christ. With the exception of the church in Jerusalem that was headed by James. James, who was a Judaizer could not turn lose of the Mosaic law, Acts 15:1-29.

Paul did not encourage religion. Religion divides, the Gospel unites. The Corinthians were the first ones that wanted to divide the church. Some said that they were of Apollis, others said that they were of Cephas or they were of Paul and then some said that they were of Christ, 1 Corinthians 1:10 11, 12, 13. So, they wanted to split the church in for different directions. Paul wanted no part of it. 1 Corinthians 1:13-18.

In the Gospel we are all sinners saved by grace. There is none greater or lessor. We are all equal in Christ. No one has more of the Spirit than some one else. We all receive the first fruits of the Spirit when we trust in Christ, Romans 8:23. Some seem to think that the church is like a great passenger ship with first and second class accomodations. Kind of like the haves and the have nots. Hierarchyism is prevalent in religion, a good example is the Catholic church. The higher you go the more holy you become. When in reality the higher you go the bigger the hypocrite that you become. The pope being the chief of all hypocrites.

PureX

Pretending that your god wrote the Bible essentially makes the Bible the voice and mind of your god. Which is the very definition of idolatry: endowing a man-made object with divinity and divine authority. And I'm rather stunned that so many modern Christians have sunk to such a primitive intellectual state.

I sincerely hope that someday they will find the courage to take back the gift of their own autonomy, and their capacity for reason, and will be able to approach the mystery of God through faith, instead of this willful ignorance and debilitating superstition that now holds them captive.

Dialogos

Pretending that your god wrote the Bible essentially makes the Bible the voice and mind of your god.
That's BIG "G" God to you!

Yes, my God wrote the Bible, that's a fundamental claim of Christianity and has been from the beginning, where have you been?

:duh:

Yes, that means that bible is the voice of God and that it comes from the mind of God.

PureX said:
Which is the very definition of idolatry: endowing a man-made object with divinity and divine authority.
Ridiculous.

:nono:

We don't worship the bible, we worship the God who wrote the bible, and worship means that we believe what God said and obey what He wrote.

Where do you come up with such irrational and illogical leaps?

PureX said:
And I'm rather stunned that so many modern Christians have sunk to such a primitive intellectual state.
We are rather unimpressed by your opinion on the matter.

PureX said:
I sincerely hope that someday they will find the courage to take back the gift of their own autonomy, and their capacity for reason, and will be able to approach the mystery of God through faith, instead of this willful ignorance and debilitating superstition that now holds them captive.

I sincerely hope that you will find the courage to be honest and take the "Christian" off of your profile because anyone who is ashamed of Jesus or His words can only look forward to being shamed before God.

PureX

I thought Paul had a different gospel than Jesus? Is there more than one gospel?
It's all based on interpretation, so it ends up being whatever people think it is. And of course, most people think only their interpretation is the right one because they assume there can only be one right one and it must be theirs. Though that isn't necessarily the logical assumption, on either count.

M

Man.0

Robert, in the things that you teach you say quite a number of erroneous things.

I would like to address all of them, but for now, I'll focus on the following point...

You say that all are 'equal in Christ'.

How is it, then, that in the body of Christ, there are different positions (pastors, teachers, apostles, prophets, evangelisers); and only some that hold these positions? If all are equal, how come not everyone is a pastor, teacher, apostle, prophet or evangeliser?

If there is only equality and no hierarchy in the body of Christ, how come there are elders in the church; and how come we are admonished to submit to such authorities (Hebrews 13:17; 1 Peter 5:5)?

fishrovmen

Robert, in the things that you teach you say quite a number of erroneous things.

I would like to address all of them, but for now, I'll focus on the following point...

How is it, then, that in the body of Christ, there are different positions (pastors, teachers, apostles, prophets, evangelisers); and only some that hold these positions? If all are equal, how come not everyone is a pastor, teacher, apostle, prophet or evangeliser?

If there is only equality and no hierarchy in the body of Christ, how come there are elders in the church; and how come we are admonished to submit to such authorities (Hebrews 13:17; 1 Peter 5:5)?

Pate doesn't do church.

Robert Pate

Banned

Of course there are pastors and teachers, etc. But in God's eyes we are all equal in Christ.

There is none better or lessor if we are all equal in Christ, 1 Corinthians 12:13-26.

Robert Pate

Banned
I thought Paul had a different gospel than Jesus? Is there more than one gospel?

There is the Gospel of the Kingdom, which was in effect while Jesus was on the earth. Wherever Christ is there is the Kingdom of God.

That Gospel is no longer in effect because Jesus is in heaven.

The Gospel that Paul preached is the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19, is still in effect today. People are still entering into the church and are being saved through hearing and believing this Gospel, Just like they did on the day of Pentecost, Acts 2:41.

M

Man.0

There is the Gospel of the Kingdom, which was in effect while Jesus was on the earth. Wherever Christ is there is the Kingdom of God.

The Gospel that Paul preached is the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19, is still in effect today. People are still entering into the church and are being saved through hearing and believing this Gospel, Just like they did on the day of Pentecost, Acts 2:41.

The gospel that John the Baptist preached (Luke 3:7-9) is the same one that Jesus preached (Matthew 4:17; Mark 1:15); which is the same one that Peter preached (Acts 3:19), and the same one that Paul (Acts 26:19-20) preached. There is only one true gospel - the gospel of Jesus Christ. The gospel that calls for repentance, and taking up of the cross. There are no different gospels, except for the false counterfeits of the true one.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
The gospel that John the Baptist preached (Luke 3:7-9) is the same one that Jesus preached (Matthew 4:17; Mark 1:15); which is the same one that Peter preached (Acts 3:19), and the same one that Paul (Acts 26:19-20) preached. There is only one true gospel - the gospel of Jesus Christ. The gospel that calls for repentance, and taking up of the cross. There are no different gospels, except for the false counterfeits of the true one.

No "Other" you're wrong. Pate is 100% correct. You and your ilk
don't know how to, "Rightly Divide" the written Word.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

YES!!!

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Pretending that your god wrote the Bible essentially makes the Bible the voice and mind of your god. Which is the very definition of idolatry: endowing a man-made object with divinity and divine authority. And I'm rather stunned that so many modern Christians have sunk to such a primitive intellectual state.

I somehow get the idea that you're NOT a "True Believer?" Am I
right on the money?