the futurists

rstrats

SaulToPaul,
re: "You can only watch the present."

How long does the present last before it becomes the past? Or how long does the present last before the future begins?

Danoh

It is really very simple: we view the Prophecy of Scripture that has not taken place to occur in the future.

All Prophecy will be fulfilled, and there is quite a bit that has not yet taken place. For example, one issue that is very controversial is the Rapture. We see a future fulfillment of the catching away he describes, which is said to include all living believers. Nowhere in Revelation is that spoken about, and in fact the only Rapture that is seen involves the Two Witnesses of ch.11.

Revelation is often dismissed due to the figurative language used, but I would suggest we have, despite parenthetical portions, a sequential series of events given us, which describes the Tribulation from beginning to end in chronological order.

Another issue would be the thousand year Reign (of Christ): this fits with the pattern established in the Old Testament, in which while Israel was the focus of much of the Prophecy, understanding the culmination of the Promises of God in the promised New Covenant established by Christ helps us to keep in mind that the promises were not exclusive to Israel. And we do see that it was the Jews that were first brought into the Church.

There is much that has to be looked at when discussing the differences between the views (idealist, preterist, historical, and futurist), but the primary issue dividing most of us is our view of Scripture itself. It does little good to discuss prophecy if one takes the view that some of it is analogous, and some of it literal.

To be clear, about my own position, I am a literalist and a futurist that takes into consideration that while figurative language and symbols are used, they always represent a truth that is being revealed about a specific issue. For example, just because Satan is described in terms such as dragon, and serpent, I do not dismiss the fact that Satan is said to exist as a personal being. The Antichrist is called a beast, but that does not mean we dismiss the fact that he is human.

Discussion concerning eschatological matters is one of my favorite topics, but discussions are much better between pre-millennialists, I believe, because I believe we are more inclined to consider unfulfilled prophecy to still have future fulfillment. That doesn't mean conversations I have had with the amillennial and preterist brethren I have met have all been bad, but, I am very much against spiritualization of any given text, and lean more toward an exegetical and expository approach to study.

And I hope none of this offends.

God bless.

I hold to an Acts 9 aka Mid-Acts Dispensational view, more or less for reasons very similar to your own.

More or less in the sense that I refuse to allow myself to marry any aspect of the views I hold to, as further refinement in understanding is ever right around the corner.

Both our positions are often misunderstood by the various Allegorists.

Not only do such read into the Scripture; but into the views espoused by one strain of Futurist or another.

So, great post, Futurist :thumb:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the futurists are like the jews
both are looking into the future
the jews are looking for the messiah
and
they will know Him when they see Him
you would think a reasonable jew could look back
and
see that it must have been Jesus
so
you futurists might take some time to look at what you have missed
the spiritualists are no better
just like the futurists
the future can be anything they want it to be

back to
the apocalypse
the future will always be your friend
-if-
history can't help you

Zeke

I hold to an Acts 9 aka Mid-Acts Dispensational view, more or less for reasons very similar to your own.

More or less in the sense that I refuse to allow myself to marry any aspect of the views I hold to, as further refinement in understanding is ever right around the corner.

Both our positions are often misunderstood by the various Allegorists.

Not only do such read into the Scripture; but into the views espoused by one strain of Futurist or another.

So, great post, Futurist :thumb:

Yet nothing happens under the sun thats new except to the earthy man who is asleep spiritually, the spirit has no beginning or end and no geneology so enjoy the dream. 2cor 3:6.