The Body of Christ !

oatmeal

When John wrote these words of Christ, Jesus was speaking to His Body the Church John 15:5

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

See the Vine and the Branches are all of One, as it is with Christ and the Church. Paul writes ro the Church Eph 5:30-31

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

The members of the Church are the members of Christ as the Branches are members of the Vine !

When we take the time to distinguish between the gospel times and the age of grace in which we live, we learn that there were clearly some differences between the time period that Jesus was fulfilling the law of Moses and the time, this age of grace, after Jesus Christ's accomplished works.

You seem to have captured this truth when you distinguish between the analogy of being members of the body of Christ vs. being branches in a vine.