• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

The biggest evidence of the Flood? The world ocean.

Right Divider

Body part
Yes, doctor means teacher, and so Dr. Brown is in fact a doctor of mechanical engineering, so we are justified in listening to him and learning from him when he teaches about mechanical engineering.

Just as we are justified in learning from Dr. Phil when he teaches about psychology, and Dr. Oz when he teaches about medicine.

But there's such a thing as a "second opinion" because not even all doctors all agree with each other.

Buyer beware.
So why did you feel the need to insult Dr. Brown by calling him Mr. Brown?

Idolater

"Matthew 16:18-19" Dispensationalist (Catholic) χρ
So why did you feel the need to insult Dr. Brown by calling him Mr. Brown?
Insult is your word.

But the same reason we don't call Dr. Mike "Dr. Mike", if doing so might lead to confusion, or even might be seen as an attempt to trick someone into thinking that the "Doctor" part is relevant, such as if Dr. Mike is pontificating about medicine (Dr. Mike is not a doctor of medicine).

Right Divider

Body part
Insult is your word.
It's quite obvious that felt that you were insulting him. Why else this?
Did Mr. Brown (no deliberate disrespect intended just that "Dr. Brown" doesn't really mean anything like how in contrast "Dr. Phil" and "Dr. Oz" are true unique identifiers) actually model "nuclear winter"?

But the same reason we don't call Dr. Mike "Dr. Mike", if doing so might lead to confusion, or even might be seen as an attempt to trick someone into thinking that the "Doctor" part is relevant, such as if Dr. Mike is pontificating about medicine (Dr. Mike is not a doctor of medicine).
Wow... what gymnastics... have you been watching too much of the Olympics?

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Did Mr. Brown (no deliberate disrespect intended just that "Dr. Brown" doesn't really mean anything like how in contrast "Dr. Phil" and "Dr. Oz" are true unique identifiers) actually model "nuclear winter"? Is "nuclear winter" mechanically possible? Enough to cause "extinction events"?
I have no scruple against calling him "Dr.", nor any reason, motivation, or desire to slight his academic attainments and work. But why insist on calling him "Mr. Brown", since, clearly, he is white, not brown?

WaltBrown.jpg

Derf

I have no scruple against calling him "Dr.", nor any reason, motivation, or desire to slight his academic attainments and work. But why insist on calling him "Mr. Brown", since, clearly, he is white, not brown?

WaltBrown.jpg
Looks a little pink to me.

Idolater

I don't get it. Why should Dr. only be used when it's denoting celebrity, rather than scholarly accomplishment?
It's not a should, it's a style choice on my part. But as to why:

... the same reason we don't call Dr. Mike "Dr. Mike", if doing so might lead to confusion, or even might be seen as an attempt to trick someone into thinking that the "Doctor" part is relevant, such as if Dr. Mike is pontificating about medicine (Dr. Mike is not a doctor of medicine).
The subject here is geology. Dr. Brown is a doctor of mechanical engineering.

obv you're free to dislike my style, but that's the reasoning.

Idolater

WaltBrown.jpg
Good point.

Right Divider

Body part
So,... when Dr. Oz was running for Senator... did you call him Mr. Oz?

When Dr. Phil talks politics, you do call him Mr. Phil?
Ph.D stands for "Doctor of Philosophy" and does NOT get ignored simply because of the topic being discussed at any moment in time.

So, yes... I dislike your obvious insult of a great man.

Derf

It's not a should, it's a style choice on my part. But as to why:

Are you concerned about a false appeal to authority? That if he's called "doctor" then people will consider him more knowledgeable on geology than he should be given credit for?
I would think Dr Fauci forever spoiled such a fallacy.

Idolater

The two subjects overlap more than you might think.
I fully accept that there's tons of overlap, otherwise why would it matter that he is a Ph.D. mechanical engineer. It's not like I think he's got a Ph.D. in English lit. or something.

===
So,... when Dr. Oz was running for Senator... did you call him Mr. Oz?
You could call him Dr. Oz because there was no ambiguity.

When Dr. Phil talks politics, you do call him Mr. Phil?
Again, Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz have established those names as their veritable trademarks. There's just no ambiguity. The "Dr." part doesn't mean anything about their expertise or authority, more than it means, the celebrity himself. His person. Not that he's a doctor of anything, that's just why he's justified in calling himself "Dr.", ofc, along with D.O.s and D.M.D.s and Th.D.s and all the other diplomas with a D on it–J.D. even, a lawyer, a juris doctor, is also justified in calling himself "Dr.", technically.

Ph.D stands for "Doctor of Philosophy" and does NOT get ignored simply because of the topic being discussed at any moment in time.
Philosophy is the study of ethics, metaphysics, and epistemology.

So, yes... I dislike your obvious insult of a great man.
It's not an insult. "Doc Brown" reminds me of Back to the Future, I never have that problem with Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz, because there's no ambiguity. Like "Dr. Mike" is ambiguous since there are so many.

===
Are you concerned about a false appeal to authority? That if he's called "doctor" then people will consider him more knowledgeable on geology than he should be given credit for?
Correct. He's a doctor of the philosophy of mechanical engineering. Would be nice if we had some doctors of the philosophy of geology weighing in on H.P.T., no? But we don't have any. The one geology Ph.D. candidate I saw eviscerated H.P.T. because of something they all call the "heat problem" which is that the amount of sedimentary rock allegedly formed due to the Flood under Hydro-plate theory would release too much heat too quickly, it would kill everything. So that's the biggest defeater against it. H.P.T. does have an answer to the heat problem, but the initial plausibility of that answer being a "just-so" explanation seems non-negligible. But this is why it would be nice to see what Ph.D. geologists think, since we're just wanting to get a second opinion on Dr. Brown's H.P.T.

Whoops, I mean Mr. Brown.

I would think Dr Fauci forever spoiled such a fallacy.
No, he didn't. We just must remember that there is such a thing as a second opinion, even with authentic medical doctors giving medical opinions. This is geology, I want to see some second opinions from Ph.D. geologists, would be nice anyway, no?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I fully accept that there's tons of overlap, otherwise why would it matter that he is a Ph.D. mechanical engineer. It's not like I think he's got a Ph.D. in English lit. or something.

So show him at least a little respect and use "Dr.", especially since he earned that title in the topic this thread is about.

And Dr. Walt Brown got a Doctorate of Philosophy IN Mechanical Engineering.

Correct. He's a doctor of the philosophy of mechanical engineering.

Therefore, intentionally calling him "Mr." instead of "Dr." is rude.

The one geology Ph.D. candidate I saw eviscerated H.P.T. because of something they all call the "heat problem"

There is no heat problem.

which is that the amount of sedimentary rock allegedly formed due to the Flood under Hydro-plate theory would release too much heat too quickly, it would kill everything.

Argued because the person did not understand the HPT's claims.

In other words, a straw man, at best.

So that's the biggest defeater against it.

Not understanding the HPT isn't a defeater against it.

H.P.T. does have an answer to the heat problem,

There is no heat problem.

To assert that there is, therefore the HPT is implausible, is begging the question.

but the initial plausibility of that answer being a "just-so" explanation seems non-negligible.

It's not a "just so" explanation.

But this is why it would be nice to see what Ph.D. geologists think, since we're just wanting to get a second opinion on Dr. Brown's H.P.T.

No, he didn't. We just must remember that there is such a thing as a second opinion, even with authentic medical doctors giving medical opinions. This is geology, I want to see some second opinions from Ph.D. geologists, would be nice anyway, no?

Derf

===

You could call him Dr. Oz because there was no ambiguity.

Again, Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz have established those names as their veritable trademarks. There's just no ambiguity. The "Dr." part doesn't mean anything about their expertise or authority, more than it means, the celebrity himself. His person. Not that he's a doctor of anything, that's just why he's justified in calling himself "Dr.", ofc, along with D.O.s and D.M.D.s and Th.D.s and all the other diplomas with a D on it–J.D. even, a lawyer, a juris doctor, is also justified in calling himself "Dr.", technically.

It's not an insult. "Doc Brown" reminds me of Back to the Future, I never have that problem with Dr. Phil or Dr. Oz, because there's no ambiguity. Like "Dr. Mike" is ambiguous since there are so many.

===

Correct. He's a doctor of the philosophy of mechanical engineering. Would be nice if we had some doctors of the philosophy of geology weighing in on H.P.T., no? But we don't have any. The one geology Ph.D. candidate I saw eviscerated H.P.T. because of something they all call the "heat problem" which is that the amount of sedimentary rock allegedly formed due to the Flood under Hydro-plate theory would release too much heat too quickly, it would kill everything. So that's the biggest defeater against it. H.P.T. does have an answer to the heat problem, but the initial plausibility of that answer being a "just-so" explanation seems non-negligible. But this is why it would be nice to see what Ph.D. geologists think, since we're just wanting to get a second opinion on Dr. Brown's H.P.T.

Whoops, I mean Mr. Brown.

Except Mr Fauci IS science. He said so himself.

Idolater

Argued because the person did not understand the HPT's claims.

In other words, a straw man, at best. ...
Sedimentary rock was made during the Flood, no? Is that not a H.P.T. claim?

I want to read this but I'm getting this message:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to kgov.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

Error code: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Looks like I'm getting the same problem with this link too.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I want to read this but I'm getting this message:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to kgov.com. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

Error code: PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Looks like I'm getting the same problem with this link too.

I'm not seeing that error for either page.