the beasts of Daniel

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The four beasts in Daniel 7 are: Babylonians, Persians, Medes and the Greek empire of Alexander the great.

I agree that the prophecy has nothing to do with Islam.

However, I disagree that the Persians and Medes are to be counted as two different beasts.

If we count the Medo-Persian empire as one beast, that leaves the Roman Empire as the fourth beast.

Daniel's prophecy was to conclude with the destruction of the temple in 70AD.

(Matt 24:15) “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand

It wouldn't make sense for the Roman Empire to not be included.

It's obvious that beast #1 is Babylon, but it wouldn't make sense for Daniel's prophecy to conclude with the Greek Empire, when Jesus made it clear that Daniel's prophecy was fulfilled in 70AD

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have been obsessed with it for over 15 years

Well, here is some insight.

The word "sea" represents pagan gentile nations, and the word "land" represents Israel.

(Dan 7:3) Four great beasts, each different from the others, came up out of the sea.

Once you understand the representation of "land" and "sea", other verses will make sense:

(Matt 4:19) Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”

And of course:

(Rev 21:1) Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

There are dispensationalists/futurists/pre-millennialists on TOL who actually think there will be a new planet earth with no literal seas on it.

genuineoriginal

how is that significant?

If you really want to find out how the Roman Empire was different from the preceding empires, look at Roman Law and governance.

In the preceding empires, the King was the law. In the Roman Empire, the law was separate from the King.

In the preceding empires, the governance was done only by royalty. In the Roman Empire, the governance was done by a ruling body comprised of the aristocracy and the plebeians under a system of checks and balances that used a separation of powers and followed the guidelines outlined in a constitution.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
If you really want to find out how the Roman Empire was different from the preceding empires, look at Roman Law and governance.

In the preceding empires, the King was the law. In the Roman Empire, the law was separate from the King.

In the preceding empires, the governance was done only by royalty. In the Roman Empire, the governance was done by a ruling body comprised of the aristocracy and the plebeians under a system of checks and balances that used a separation of powers and followed the guidelines outlined in a constitution.

most think that the Roman Empire is one of the beasts of Revelation

do you agree?

genuineoriginal

most think that the Roman Empire is one of the beasts of Revelation

do you agree?

No.

The beast of Revelation 13 has traits similar to all four beasts of Daniel 7, but doesn't match any of them.

The time of the four beasts ended a long time ago.
The beast of Revelation 13 is an empire that will be in existence at the time of the return of Jesus.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
No.

The beast of Revelation 13 has traits similar to all four beasts of Daniel 7, but doesn't match any of them.

The time of the four beasts ended a long time ago.
The beast of Revelation 13 is an empire that will be in existence at the time of the return of Jesus.

so why doesn't it say 'Christ will reign' in Rev 20?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Daniel 7:24
King James Version (KJV)
24 And the ten horns out of this kingdom are ten kings that shall arise: and another shall rise after them; and he shall be diverse from the first, and he shall subdue three kings.

Revelation 17:12
King James Version (KJV)
12 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast.

the fourth beast of daniel
and
the second beast of revelation
both
have ten horns

genuineoriginal

and you can't repeat it?
Your timeline is off.
You have people reigning while Christ is absent from the earth, then being beheaded and staying dead.

Here is what the scripture states:

Revelation 20:4
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.​

Here is the correct timeline according to scripture:
First the people witness about Jesus and the word of God.
Then they refuse to worship the beast.
Then they are beheaded.
Then they are resurrected.
Then they reign with Christ for 1000 years when He rules the nations with a rod of iron.