The “no difference” theory is dead: Same sex parenting

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think its clear that I prefer traditional marriage and parenting. I don't know what effects this study will have. I wondered how others would view it.
I think a lot of people here prefer traditional marriage and parenting. Not everyone who does would oppose homosexual marriage as a matter of law. But I don't see you launching a lot of threads about either. What you do launch a great many threads about are attacks against the non traditional notions and I think that's what Granite is getting at.

When you do that long enough it stirs a sentiment expressed as, essentially, stop pretending to consider a thing you've clearly decided for yourself and just begin threads with title like, "More Support for my Stand against Gay Marriage" or adoption, etc.

GFR7

I think a lot of people here prefer traditional marriage and parenting. Not everyone who does would oppose homosexual marriage as a matter of law. But I don't see you launching a lot of threads about either. What you do launch a great many threads about are attacks against the non traditional notions and I think that's what Granite is getting at.

When you do that long enough it stirs a sentiment expressed as, essentially, stop pretending to consider a thing you've clearly decided for yourself and just begin threads with title like, "More Support for my Stand against Gay Marriage" or adoption, etc.
I take the titles from the journalists - and I assume people can see clearly where I stand - although aCW is convinced I am gay and with the HRC. Now why do you suppose that is?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I take the titles from the journalists - and I assume people can see clearly where I stand - although aCW is convinced I am gay and with the HRC. Now why do you suppose that is?
Because he's a zealot. And zealots only recognize their own reflection. Everything else is other.

quip

BANNED
Banned
The Elton John/David Furnish model of lavishing love and licorice on the offspring of surrogate mothers won’t do.

Nah...no bias nor associated agenda here... :rolleyes:

PureX

There isn't any real evidence to support the idea that homosexuals being married damages anyone else's marriage, or the "institution of marriage".

There isn't any real evidence to support the idea that homosexual couples do any worse a job raising children than heterosexual couples do.

There isn't any real evidence to support the idea that homosexuals are more likely to be pedophiles than heterosexuals are.

Yet there are plenty of people who still hold these opinions, regardless. Just as there are still people who hold the opinion that Jews are greedy and dishonest, blacks are stupid and lazy, and Muslims are all terrorists. Our need and desire for scapegoats to blame, it seems, can't be dissuaded by a lack of evidence or reason.

Just run down the "active threads" section on TOL and you will find a whole litany 'hate the scapegoat' threads: hating and blaming the gays, the liberals, the Catholics, the Muslims, the poor and unemployed, the democrats, Obama, the well educated, and so on. And most of these scapegoat threads are started by the same people, about the same scapegoat, over and over. As they are obsessed with hating and blaming their make-believe demons, and getting others to join their obsession.

It's a sad thing, really. To see people swirling around and around, year after year, in such a pointless psychological eddy. But I guess the distraction helps get them through another day.

quip

BANNED
Banned
There isn't any real evidence to support the idea that homosexuals being married damages anyone else's marriage, or the "institution of marriage".

There isn't any real evidence to support the idea that homosexual couples do any worse a job raising children than heterosexual couples do.

There isn't any real evidence to support the idea that homosexuals are more likely to be pedophiles than heterosexuals are.

Yet there are plenty of people who still hold these opinions, regardless. Just as there are still people who hold the opinion that Jews are greedy and dishonest, blacks are stupid and lazy, and Muslims are all terrorists. Our need and desire for scapegoats to blame, it seems, can't be dissuaded by a lack of evidence or reason.

Just run down the "active threads" section on TOL and you will find a whole litany 'hate the scapegoat' threads: hating and blaming the gays, the liberals, the Catholics, the Muslims, the poor and unemployed, the democrats, Obama, the well educated, and so on. And most of these scapegoat threads are started by the same people, about the same scapegoat, over and over. As they are obsessed with hating and blaming their make-believe demons, and getting others to join their obsession.

It's a sad thing, really. To see people swirling around and around, year after year, in such a pointless psychological eddy. But I guess the distraction helps get them through another day.

Yes, yes.....but they've found "gawd" so . . . you've been trumped!

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
How many could there be? Substance addition...cohabitation...history of violence...any of those and what else?

none of those would be on my list
unless you could show how serious they were

if you could prove the mother's boyfriend was raping her daughter and the mother was in denial

that would be sufficient

I am not going to waste my time providing you any more examples

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
none of those would be on my list
unless you could show how serious they were
Which then goes back to my question to give your first answer meaning. There aren't that many things of so serious a nature, are there?

if you could prove the mother's boyfriend was raping her daughter and the mother was in denial

that would be sufficient
Would be sufficient to try and imprison both parties and seeing the daughter placed with other family members or social services.

I am not going to waste my time providing you any more examples
Then you're offering empty answers. The appearance without substance. It wasn't a trick question meant to lead you into a snare. It was an honest point of inquiry that should allow someone with a strong opinion a chance to make it plain enough.

Do/don't. Waste your time answering without really answering, if you're more comfortable. :idunno:

IMJerusha

studies like this require a sufficient sample size
it has been very difficult finding enough children raised by same sex couples
and
now it is very difficult finding enough children raised by parents who are still living together

or perhaps the point is that it's difficult finding enough children raised by same sex parents who are still living? (and I realize that can be taken a couple of ways) It's simply not a healthy situation all the way around.