That's, Sola Scriptura....

Truster

Sola Scriptura meaning ''by scripture alone''.

Plus our creed

Plus Reformed Theology

Plus Calvinism

Plus keeping the sabbath holy

Plus our authority

Plus our buildings

Plus our denomination (which is subject to change)

Plus the free will that we decry, but think we exercise, in choosing all the above.

So what was that you were saying about, by scripture alone?

It appears that someone was stupid enough to think that the above list applies to me. It doesn't. It applies to those of the reformed or calvinistic persuasion who claim Sola Scriptura and then add to it.

Last edited:

iouae

Plus our creed

Plus Reformed Theology

Plus Calvinism

Plus our authority

Plus our buildings

Plus the free will that we decry, but think we exercise, in choosing all the above.

Or maybe it is just sola scriptura :)

All the other doubts are just going on in your mind.

If your denomination is explaining AWAY scripture, instead of explaining scripture, then its time to find a new one.
Likewise your creed, theology, Calvanism, and authority.

Buildings, sabbath or any other doctrine will be decided by YOU exercising free will in interpreting the scripture.
If someone else is interpreting it for you then would your belief be sola scriptura any more?

Truster

Or maybe it is just sola scriptura :)

All the other doubts are just going on in your mind.

If your denomination is explaining AWAY scripture, instead of explaining scripture, then its time to find a new one.
Likewise your creed, theology, Calvanism, and authority.

Buildings, sabbath or any other doctrine will be decided by YOU exercising free will in interpreting the scripture.
If someone else is interpreting it for you then would your belief be sola scriptura any more?

I don't have free will.

daqq

I don't have free will.

Awe, too bad, because Paul tells you to do this:

Romans 6:12-13 ASV
12. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey the lusts thereof:
13. neither present your members unto sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves unto God, as alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

You cannot do any of the above things without choosing to do so of your own volition, much less anything else Paul says that you should do with your heart, mind, body, and soul; even much less are you able to present yourself unto God as alive from the dead and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God, without free will. Without free will you cannot be legitimately tested so as to reveal whether or not you have true love because you cannot be brought to reveal true love without actually having the capabilities of a free will. Are you now "off the hook" if according to the results of your doctrine you cannot be expected to show true love? I trow not. :chuckle:

Lon

Spoiler

Plus our creed

Plus Reformed Theology

Plus Calvinism

Plus our authority

Plus our buildings

Sola vs Solo Scriptura

Truster

12. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey the lusts thereof:
13. neither present your members unto sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves unto God, as alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

You cannot do any of the above things without choosing to do so of your own volition, much less anything else Paul says that you should do with your heart, mind, body, and soul; even much less are you able to present yourself unto God as alive from the dead and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God, without free will. Without free will you cannot be legitimately tested so as to reveal whether or not you have true love because you cannot be brought to reveal true love without actually having the capabilities of a free will. Are you now "off the hook" if according to the results of your doctrine you cannot be expected to show true love? I trow not. :chuckle:

Paul also said, 'For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.......Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me''.

Lon

I can't speak for Truster but I have no "FREE" will (and believe he and I may be of similar mind here). I certainly have volition and at God's directive both indwelling and word as well as intervention, will do as He calls. We choose according to our greatest inclination. Being new creations, indwelled by Christ, and renewing our mind, our volition changes to be Christ centered and we grow in maturity. Thus, our will is ever in bondage to sin, or in bondage to Christ.

Lon

Last edited:

Truster

What happened to it? Other people have free will and can commit willful sin if they choose to do so. Why can't you?

I was shapen and born in iniquity and for the first 43 years of my life I was a slave to the prince of the power of the air the spirit that works in the children of disobedience. Ephesians 2:2 KJV

Upon my conversion Satan was cast out and Elohim now works in me to will and to do of His good purpose. Philippians 2:13 KJV

All men are born as subjects and serve sin unless they are redeemed and then serve justness (righteousness) Romans 6:16 KJV

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Upon my conversion Satan was cast out and Elohim now works in me to will and to do of His good purpose. Philippians 2:13 KJV

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
(Philippians 2:12-13 NKJV)​

God makes known to us his will but we have to put it in action in order to work out our own salvation.