Ted Cruz’s big problem: There isn’t really an ‘evangelical vote’ right now

GFR7

I don't think anyone will be able to beat the democrats. it's simply because the voting population is becoming more progressive and liberal on social issues. So long as the GOP holds strong to those dated traditions, I believe they will continue to fade.
Both the GOP and the Democrats are fading and dying. I believe in the fourth party principle.

Jose Fly

Maybe you evangelicals should rally around Darrell Trigg, the Christian Party Candidate? Here's a sampling of his platform...

Separation of Church and State will be changed to the Union of Church and State. God will be asked to be an integral part of the government of the U.S.

The Bible will be a standard required subject in all public schools and universities, for all grades, the same as English and Math

Each day of school will begin with prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance.

Homosexuality will not be recognized legally, or in any other manner, by the United States government or any state, city, or county government.

The legal drinking age will be increased to 25 for any alcoholic beverage.

A couple wishing to get married must first attend Christian marriage counseling classes.

Divorce will only be allowed in cases of abuse, infidelity, or incarceration.

Married couples who become pregnant must attend Christian parenting classes.

No show or movie will be allowed on T.V. systems or computer systems accessible by homes that contain nudity, strong sexual content, excessive foul language, blasphemy, or any form of homosexuality.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Running for high office, if you have some name recognition, can net you a lot of cash even if you have no intention or expectation of actually winning that office. Because all the money you get for your 'campaign', you get to keep when you drop out. And the oligarchs will give money to anyone they consider a contender (and name-recognition makes almost anyone a contender, especially early on). So that's what all these republicans are dong at the moment: collecting those corporate campaign contributions. Which they will keep for themselves, later, when they drop out.

You don't know what you are talking about. They do NOT get to keep that money for themselves.

Q: What happens to a candidate’s leftover campaign funds when he or she drops out of the race?

A: The big rule is: no personal use.

FULL QUESTION

Do candidates for elected office keep donations to their campaigns for personal use after they lose or drop out? Or do those donations have to go into a greater party fund?

FULL ANSWER

As Bob Biersack from the Federal Election Commission points out, most candidates don’t have much left over to begin with. Campaigning is expensive, and “leftover” money gets used for bills and debts first, including expenses incurred while winding down an abandoned campaign or a lost political office.

Candidates do sometimes end up with surplus funds, though, particularly if they’re incumbent members of Congress who decide not to run for another term. State and local governments have their own rules, but those running for federal office — including presidential candidates — must abide by strict FEC guidelines when it comes to their extra campaign money. They can donate an unlimited amount to a charity or political party. They can also, within limits, make contributions directly to other candidates. A campaign committee can give up to $2000 per election to each candidate. If the committee is converted into a political action committee, the limit jumps to $5000 – but to be established as a PAC, the committee would have to be in existence for six months, receive contributions from 50 donors, and make contributions to five recipients.

What candidates can’t do with leftover money is use it for personal expenses. Retiring federal lawmakers used to be able to pocket extra cash and use it for cars, vacations, clothes, pet grooming, whatever — but that changed in 1989 with the passage of the Ethics Reform Act.

– Jess Henig
Sources

Federal Election Commission. "Permissible non-campaign use of funds." Code of Federal Regulations. 1 Jan. 2007.

Berke, Richard. "Cash of Campaigns Can Go Elsewhere." The New York Times. 22 Jan. 1989.
http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/leftover-campaign-funds/

Jose Fly

No, you just start a Super PAC, staff it with friends and family, where they pay themselves very large salaries and are mostly unaccountable. Then after the election, due to your name recognition from running, you write a few books, go on Fox News, and rake in the appearance and speaker fees.

It's a pretty good gig that both sides take full advantage of. Simply put, there ain't no poor people in this race.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The Washington Post believes there is no unified evangelical voting bloc for Cruz to rally round him. :think:

Thoughts?

Spoiler
imrs.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...re-isnt-really-an-evangelical-vote-right-now/

article said:
But even consolidating that vote isn't going to create a new front-runner when the decidedly non-evangelical Donald Trump is still pulling a quarter of the religious vote.

:doh:

They can't be doing that based on religious principles.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
jeb can beat hillary
no one else can
jeb can beat trump
no one else can
so
do you want hillary?

No, Jeb cannot beat Hillary, and that is the big worry with running Jeb. Hillary would be the first president who has an ex-president for a mate/ Think about what that means?

Bill was liked enough to have high exit ratings, while George Bush had low ratings, as well, Bush sr, did have better, but not near as good as Bill's exit ratings.

Think if this: about 40% are committed Republican, as per Goldwater vote. and pattern have changed little. About 40% will vote liberal, and this seems to be fairly constant. This mean 40% of people will vote for anyone of their party to defeat the other party.

Now, the big change is the middle 20%, who are now more concerned with the economy. Clinton did better George Bush.

To beat Hillary one must hope for a better candidate, or the Democrats to lose it and go for someone else. I imagine Bernie Sanders would only get the extreme liberal vote, then, yes, jeb could win.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The Washington Post believes there is no unified evangelical voting bloc for Cruz to rally round him. :think:

Thoughts?

Spoiler
imrs.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...re-isnt-really-an-evangelical-vote-right-now/
The evangelical voting bloc is still a reality and I hope it will continue to influence our society. That said, no "bloc" is uniform. Everything affects everything else and Cruz, I am sure, will continue to have his evangelical and fundamentalist supporters.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is truly sad that an exclusive focus on Jesus and a moral Christian life is so disruptive and alarming for TheologyOnline.

Shame on TOL for banning voices they don't agree with! The mark of any tyranny is the inability to deal with diversity; it's the dictatorial and the authoritarian types who have to flatten down any challenges to their autocratic impulses.

The victimization, the anger covering up shame and the immaturity of most folks on this website is truly astonishing to me.

Nevertheless, I will continue to stress the authentic parabolic teachings of Jesus as well as connecting myself and the world to the great moral epic of the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament.

journey

The irony is that conservative evangelicals have been urged to shut down the democratic vote entirely. That's not a good thing, in my opinion.

I haven't heard that in my circle of evangelical friends, and we would be conservatives. I would also disagree with anyone trying to get evangelicals to stay home on voting day.