Scripture. What is considered Scripture?

glorydaz

Angel4truth, you copied and pasted an error. If you look at the Bible yourself you will see. I posted the relevant passages.

Your erroneous quote said:
In the listing of Jesus' forefathers, there is a name missing.

There are four names missing. I listed them.

There have been many in-depth studies done on the genealogies of Jesus....all by men who searched the Scripture diligently. That's a word you are not acquainted with, I know.

"Relevant passages" you say. You don't even know what the relevant passages are. Matt. 1:11-12 is one of them. It's too bad you're so superficial in your Bible studies....there's some real gems in there. :chuckle:

Reactions: Lon

glorydaz

Lon, you seem to have just given up trying to explain the errors.

You certainly haven’t tried to explain the miscount in Matthew.

I am certain you can’t. At least Angel4truth tried.

I have more errors to discuss, but you seem to have become paralyzed on the last few — pretending insults substitute for explanations. I am a little embarrassed for you. After all the bluster, you just fizzled out.

Your Evil is showing through. :chew:

2003cobra

There have been many in-depth studies done on the genealogies of Jesus....all by men who searched the Scripture diligently. That's a word you are not acquainted with, I know.

"Relevant passages" you say. You don't even know what the relevant passages are. Matt. 1:11-12 is one of them. It's too bad you're so superficial in your Bible studies....there's some real gems in there. :chuckle:

So why did Matthew falsely report that there were 14 generations from David to the deportation?

So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David to the deportation to Babylon, fourteen generations; and from the deportation to Babylon to the Messiah, fourteen generations.

1 Chronicles clearly shows 18 generations.

Again, no one has even tried to answer except Angel4Truth, and the source she quoted only noticed one of the four missing generations.

And if it wasn’t the mistake of the writer of The gospel attributed to Matthew, whose mistake was it?

The big mistake is in declaring the false doctrine of inerrancy. God never promised us a perfect book, and pretending the Bible is inerrant in the face of these errors is a bad testimony.

Last edited:

2003cobra

You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the rear. :angel:

It is a fact that 1 Chronicles lists 18 generations from David to the deportation.

And it is a fact that Matthew says all the generations from David to the deportation are 14.

Therefore it is a fact that Matthew has this error to add to the others already listed.

So it is a fact that your man-made doctrine of inerrancy is proved wrong.

And it is also a fact that you have not even tried to explain away this error.

This does not invalidate the value of the scriptures. It only destroys the false doctrine of inerrancy.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Angel4truth, you copied and pasted an error. If you look at the Bible yourself you will see. I posted the relevant passages.

Angel4truth, look below at the many names missing:

Whoever attempted to explain the error had a major fail.

Ive already responded in detail. Here are a couple verses for you to ponder, the failure is yours as well as the error.

1 Timothy 1:4
Nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith.

Titus 3:9
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Reminder of my answer that satisfies your "claim" of error again:

Is there an error in the counting of the generations in Matthew chapter 1?

Answer: Matthew's genealogy traces the ancestors of Joseph, the legal father of Jesus. The structure of the genealogy descends from father to son, beginning with Abraham. Additionally, Matthew divides the genealogy into three groups of fourteen generations, separated by important historic points (Matthew 1:17). Matthew abridged the genealogy by omitting some names that appear in earlier records. Some speculate that the abridged arrangement was intended to aid in memorization. Genealogical abridgement has lots of biblical precedent.

The wording of Matthew 1:17 has caused some to suggest that David's name is included in both the first and second grouping of generations. Notice, "So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations, from David until the captivity in Babylon are fourteen generations..." The writer does not express his intent to reveal 42 generations from Abraham to Jesus, but rather three segments of Jewish history, each comprised of 14 generations. It is plausible that David's name being mentioned twice (v 17) indicates his inclusion in both the first and second groupings. If so, then the first begins with Abraham and ends with David, 14 generations; the second begins with David and ends with Josiah, 14 generations; and the third begins with Jeconiah and ends with Jesus, 14 generations.

In the listing of Jesus' forefathers, there is a name missing. Excluded from the list is Jehoiakim (a.k.a. Eliakim), who was Josiah's son and Jeconiah's father (1 Chronicles 3:15-16). The reason for his exclusion may be that he was a puppet king, given his rule by the Pharaoh of Egypt. The first phase of the captivity of Judah by Babylon began at the end of Jehoiakim's reign, prior to his son Jeconiah coming into power. Thus, the 3 groupings of 14 generations would include: 1. Abraham to David; 2. Solomon to Jehoiakim (he is not mentioned, but was among the first to be carried off into Babylon); 3. Jeconiah to Jesus.

There may be other possible explanations for the existence of only 41 names in the genealogy of Matthew 1, even though verse 17 speaks of three groupings of 14. Regardless, these two suffice to demonstrate that there is not a contradiction. Many commentators believe that the divisions of 14 generations is simply a literary structure by Matthew not intended to set forth a strict biological lineage. God did not arrange Israel’s history so nicely that there were exactly 14 biological generations between these three crucial moments in salvation history. One suggestion is that in 1 Chronicles 1–2 there are 14 generations listed between Abraham and David and from that Matthew structured the rest of the genealogy according to the number 14.

The purpose of a genealogy is to document the proof of ancestry from the origin of the line to the person under discussion. Every individual need not be included, but only those necessary to establish descending relationship. The author may legitimately abridge a genealogy to establish a point or to make it simpler. Matthew is correct in the factual material for his purpose, which is to document the ancestry of Jesus Christ, the Messiah, from Abraham.

Reactions: Lon

2003cobra

Ive already responded in detail. Here are a couple verses for you to ponder, the failure is yours as well as the error.

1 Timothy 1:4
Nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith.

Titus 3:9
But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless.

Actually, this is a discussion of a false doctrine.

2003cobra

Is there an error in the counting of the generations in Matthew chapter 1?

Your explanation deals with one missing name, Jehoiakim, and a count error of 41 rather then 42.

The person who prepared this explanation did not see the error that I pointed out: Matthew misplaced four generations with one and miscounted 14 instead of 17.

I mentioned the Jehoiakim error that the solution you offered tried to explain, but what you offered did not deal in any way with the error that I pointed out.

Please read my post on this. What you offered does not attempt to address it.

2003cobra

By the way, Angel4truth, some of the others who claim to be Christians should be pointing out how your copy-and-paste solution deals with a different problem than I presented.

Lon thanked you for once again posting something that did not address the error I raised! It think that is a sad commentary and a negative reflection on him.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
It is the Christian Bible.

Shalom.

I am a Jew, Jewish. But I used to be a Christian. I considered the Bible to be Scripture.

I accept the TaNaK and Matthew through Revelation. I still have questions about what Scripture is, even accepting all of these. So your definition or accepting this is not wrong. Meaning, I understand that.

The TaNaK is the Torah (the Law, Torah means Instruction Teaching Direction and Law) the Nevi'im (the Prophets) and the Ketuvim (the Writings).

I have questions about if the Torah or the TaNaK is the Old Covenant or Scripture. Is the Torah the Old Covenant? Is the Torah Scripture? This is different from the Christian or the Christian Bible's Old Covenant or Old Testament.

What is the reading of the Old Covenant?

When was the TaNaK accepted as and called Scripture? This is not the same as discussing what is the Biblical or Christian Canon.

Also, what is the Jewish Bible and what is the Hebrew Bible?

The Law and the Prophets or the Law the Prophets and the Writings. How do we think about these?

How do we think about the Torah, the Law?

What is the Old Covenant and the New Covenant different from Scripture as Scripture is not the Old Covenant or the New Covenant? The covenants are found in Scripture, but they are not the Scriptures themselves. But then what is the reading of the Old Covenant?

The New Covenant is for the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It is God's law written on minds and hearts. It came in Christ Jesus, Yeshua HaMashiach, Jesus the Christ, Jesus the Messiah, Jesus Messiah. But this is different from the subject of this thread though related for clarification and because it may edify you based on your answer.

Shalom.

Jacob

2003cobra

Jacob,
My pastor during his sermons sometimes apologizes to Jews for our calling the Jewish scriptures the “Old Testament” and the way Christians have appropriated them as our own.

As far as I can tell, the church has always considered the Jewish scriptures to be part of the sacred scriptures, although there were and are differences in the specific documents considered canonical (appropriate for reading in church).

For example, the Festal Letter Of 367 by Bishop Athanasius included Maccabees (excluded by some Christians) and excluded Esther (included by nearly all Christians). The Book Of Enoch is an example of a document that has been sometimes, rarely, accepted.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jacob,
My pastor during his sermons sometimes apologizes to Jews for our calling the Jewish scriptures the “Old Testament” and the way Christians have appropriated them as our own.

As far as I can tell, the church has always considered the Jewish scriptures to be part of the sacred scriptures, although there were and are differences in the specific documents considered canonical (appropriate for reading in church).

For example, the Festal Letter Of 367 by Bishop Athanasius included Maccabees (excluded by some Christians) and excluded Esther (included by nearly all Christians). The Book Of Enoch is an example of a document that has been sometimes, rarely, accepted.

Interesting. It sounds like people are learning.

TestedandTried

I apologize for not reading your personal info before posting...so you consider yourself Jewish now, once having been a Christian.
My answer remains unchanged, but we can say that the Scriptures are inspired. The books of the prophets themselves testify to this, words to the effect: write this down as commanded by the Lord, are in those texts. The N.T. reinforces this in very clear language so that we know this is how those books were accepted. See II Peter 1:19-21:
We also have the prophetic message as something completely reliable, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20 Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
I will address some of your other queries/points by separate post a little later.

Lon

Yep, and here :Rev 22:18
  For I testify together to everyone who hears the Words of the prophecy of this Book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add on him the plagues that have been written in this Book. 

Rev 22:19

And if anyone takes away from the Words of the Book of this prophecy, God will take away his part out of the Book of Life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which have been written in this Book. 

Some people are interested in their thoughts, not scriptures :Z