Scientists baffled by a perfect example of Biblical kinds

Stuu

No problem with the word as long as you realize its nuanced to fit a belief system.

Evolutionists, sometimes label things as different species, for no reason other than to bolster their own beliefs.
Example 1 Neandertals
Evolutionists seem desperate to deny the humanity of Neandertals by calling them a seperate species stating they did not interbreed with 'moderns'. Science proved that wrong... we are descendants of Neandertals. So, according to popular definition of that nuanced word.... Neandertals should be considered the same species as you and me.

But whoa..... evolutionists still try deny the humanity of Neandertals by calling them a sub species. Some evolutionists still fight to keep them classified as a sepetate species. There arguments are often silly and illogical saying things like their nose structure was different therefore a different species. Humans today have a greater range of skeletal differences with each other, than we do with Neandertals yet we don't see evolutionists calling modern people a different species.. Science keeps bringing evolutionists to the Biblical position.... we are all one blood. We are all the same created kind.

Example 2 Darwin's Finches
This icon of evolution actually turns out to be in support of the Biblical creation model. Evolutionists had determined there was 13 different species of finches on the Galapogos. But... science is now showing that the finches had simply adapted to various environments causing them to be less fit (Natural selection eliminates pre-existing genetic info). It turns out the finches can, and do interbreed. The 'hybrids' actually seem more fit as the genetic info lost through selection , is reintroduced through interbreeding. The finches were not separate species ... They are the same created kind.
It looks like you are very happy to bend the definition of species to suit your belief system.

I can only encourage you to keep writing about Homo neanderthalensis, a different species in the same genus as Homo sapiens, but one that went extinct some 20,000 years before the creation of the universe.

Stuart

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It appears that only you have a problem with the definition of species. Everyone else seems to understand (not the other YECs obviously) what that quite complex and nuanced definition is and how it is used in the biological world. It appears to be reasonably clear, actually.

Sorry if you are struggling to keep up. Let us know if we can do anything else to help.

Stuart
You could start by providing the definition. :rolleyes:

Stuu

You could start by providing the definition. :rolleyes:
I recommend you read the thread, and keep your eyes open for the post where I quoted to you the Oxford Concise definitions of species and kind, and pointed out to you that, according to that dictionary, 'kind' had a biological definition that was more vague than 'species', because kind means species or race, and race has it's own problematic definitions.

:rolleyes:

Stuart

Lon

Do you not think then we should fight for our sovereignty, our autonomy? This capitalist model of the universe leaves you as a perpetual serf, in this life or the next. Eternal grovelling existence. No thanks.
I don't believe you logically, understand the stakes. Hell or annihilation might suit you for the contempt. Think about it: "I don't want to live in God's universe or play by His rules" --> You. What is left? Either you get your wish, which would be hell, or you get your wish and are annihilated. The problem, it will be like seeing 'what I didn't realize I'd miss,' before the inevitable. Further? It shows that atheism is not so much a cognitive problem for you, and thus not even the Evolution/creation discussion. The matter was settled before you ever knew a thing. Intellectual atheism, then is an attempt at shoring up. In my family, I wouldn't have chosen my biological father. Denying his existence is possible, given my continued breath is not sustained by him, but logically and intellectually, I'd be weird, frankly, to doubt he ever existed. I assert that God is nothing like my father? Why? Because whatever you actually enjoy in your life and existence that is good, comes from Him.
T]he good news is that actually none of it can be true. We live in the free West (as much as that is a thing) and we die properly in fealty to no sky demon and our atoms are recycled for some other living thing to carry the baton forwards.
Logically, you are mistaking allowance to foster an false confidence. All the rich-kid stories are about the father cutting off allowance, for the entitlement mentality in which it harms the kid. Ultimately, this is what atheism is, and nothing more. It is a false sense of security at every turn. As long as the allowance lasts I suppose. The good news? The story of the prodigal son is likely even more for you, than it was for me.

Even if christianity were true it can't be called desirable.
Confirming all of the above. My position is this: I don't care what is desirable as much as what is true. In a sense, it is self-serving because it explains my desirability to live by what is true, even if it is uncomfortable. We do not share the same driving force in life. I have to know what is true, no matter what that means. Only you can investigate whether He is a tyrannical despot or a loving one, or one that loves but in a manner you cannot accept. Again, in the end, there is nothing but getting what one hopes for: An eternity of getting your wish and not being with Him, or annihilation. Whatever it is, you have no control over that particular. We choose consequences, even if we are naïve about them. "I didn't know jumping off this cliff would make me live in a wheel chair the rest of my life! It is not fair." - There is no fair, there is only the consequence of our actions and choices. If I tempt gravity, the consequence was and is, indeed from what I chose.

But it is all being saved up for me, right? This chattel belonging to your god that is my body and soul (whatever the heck that is) does what it does, then when it dies it waits around for judgment day. Then the corpse is dug up and judged (by a judge that is morally corrupt, given its killing of over 20,000,000 humans if you believe the mythology) and if, as you suggest this corpse is found wanting then it is destroyed by burning sulfur / tortured forever, depending on how you interpret the mythology. And of course it took the arrival of baby Jesus for this horror story to be inflicted on the planet.
If this is the best of my understanding, I'd likely reject it also. I think the Church of England did a number on a good many of you. I think that too is why Dawkins is rethinking his stance. He just never realized that Christianity is different than where any one particular denomination gets it wrong. His statement that only Christianity can stop Islam, and that a lot of his bias was due to indoctrination, is a bit of a revelation on what you blokes are facing over there. I suppose that is why the Evangelical church there is growing.

If you believe all that then you are either gullible or your education has been so neglected that you are living in a modern-day dark age and you brain is being hijacked by god memes, as they are very good at doing.
I don't. Perhaps I need to entertain the idea that British atheists might have some better reasons. If that is what is passing for theology on your side of the ocean, read a few theologians on this side. I guess that is what you are doing. The damage done is a bit of a hurdle though.
Are we talking about scriptural rules or democratically determined laws? Humans had values for at least 180,000 years before Judeo-christianity was invented.
Yeah, exactly. If they are shared human values, that is what I mean. The ones not agreed upon are as individual as there are people on the planet or have been, but I was talking about shared values. We don't complain about what we equally value (or shouldn't).

Sure, I'm not advocating an atheist state. That would be dystopia as much as any theocracy is. I advocate for a secular state.
A secular state doesn't do that however. We all influence each other and media has a strong effect on the masses. Without media, I don't believe Schwarzenegger would have been governor or Trump would be in presidential running.

Why don't they just say that there is a list of things that don't work, so they won't be wasting their time with them. Prayer, homeopathy, you know the kind of thing. It is a disgrace, really, to apply pseudoscience when people are desperate.
Because we do have studies this side of the ocean that says it works. A 'natural' way it works would be that patients who are more relaxed, and less stressed do better in post-op. Telling a heart-risk patient who may die, "I'm praying for you" might convey to one without faith there is little hope. I would imagine that might have an ill-effect. As I understand it, the Cancer Institute staff only prays with those who ask, and would probably be in the patient's treatment preference. Such I think, does honor the scientific method and is sensitive to it, as well as counting documented benefits, but it is too, like Spinoza and Einstein said: Science cannot be divorced from faith. That will likely ever be a frustration to science folks like yourself. I just don't think, academically, it is a good idea to argue with Einstein. Once you do that, people are comparing IQ's and he will always be esteemed over a 'lesser' scientist/mathematician and with a lower IQ.
If you think that is oddball then how the heck can you hold an opinion on what the meta analyses of prayer studies say? Surely the key point is to eliminate placebo effects. Or are you saying the rules are that your god only intervenes if the person is aware of the request?
When you dissect something you kill it. Observational science, in this case, is better science than a sterile and fabricated facsimile. I'd tell science "observe, don't contrive, else you'll not get what you are actually looking for. Even singing to your unborn in a lab, is a contrivance to simply doing a case-study. Case studies do show prayer has positive effect. Compare. It is generally the lab that finds inconclusive or negligible results, and I think, specifically because what it is measuring is a contrivance. The one study I'd seen wasn't really that involved. They had no way of knowing if it was just in that area, if the results were repeatable or any number of important variables. A study like this needs to be over several decades, perhaps with observational study and lab study that is unobtrusive....

I forgot that you were an expert on experimental design and experimental ethics.

I think actually it's just that you don't like the results so you rubbish the work.
Er, good science calls into question results it doesn't expect. Absolutely such may 'rubbish' the work but science genuinely doesn't care. Only a bias would, no? I do have more background in sociology and psychology, yes.

Much like you do with Einstein's tricky spirituality and natural history.
WOW. Talk about your trashing conveniently. I even provided a link. I know Einstein and I know of Spinoza's God. This was part of my BA studies.

Your instinct is to go to Answers in Genesis to see if they can help you trash what you don't like.
:doh: Google. AiG was first on the list. I read several. Would you suggest one trying to catch up on a microbiology learning curve only pay attention to his/her detractors? I mentioned to you earlier: Coping mechanisms. I may even be wrong about your particular study. The one I had read several years ago, introduced on TOL, was unconscionable because heart patients died or suffered because of their test.

Now, my instinct is to go to rationalist-type websites of course but that is usually to check I haven't made a mistake or misrepresented a religious point of view.
I went there also. It wouldn't make sense to have presented the same exact material you'd have given. I was rather looking for the rebuttal. I even thanked you for it, remember?

If you mean literally 2+2=4, then you don't have to prove it because (and I think you are saying this) mathematics is a self-referential system. Its rules work in complete isolation. 2+2 is 4 by the definitions of the discipline. If you mean how can you demonstrate that 2+2=4 has any meaning, then you would have to go to the work of Bertrand Russell to get a justification. You could read his Why I Am Not A Christian while you were at it!
Have read a bit of him. The basics are that if numbers didn't matter, you'd never have a problem emptying out your wallet for me, by my simply asking. So, I meant both.

Circular logic is a fallacy, something to be avoided when making a rational argument.
Not necessarily to the first part, yes (if possible) to the second part.

Christianity is profoundly offensive. I don't hear you apologizing.
I'm not on an atheist website and I wonder if you are masochistic being on a Christian website. I'm not sure I need to apologize in that sense. You choose to be here with the offense. I don't demand an apology.

If you kept your nasty hobby within the confines of private property and stopped allowing it to leak out into the public sphere where it causes misery and conflict wherever it seeps, then perhaps you wouldn't be hearing so many angry sounds.
Again, I'm not sure if I empathize, nor if we all the way over here in America are that loud across the sea? I don't know what it is like in your neck of the woods. How many of us in this thread are European Christians? I suppose it makes sense to file complaint where ever it is allowed to be logged, but it gets a bit out of touch with the esoteric for me. I am just not sure how much I/we actually effect you over there.

So you understand the atheist sentiment as it is sometimes felt, right?!

Stuart
I know what it look like over here, but I have less sympathy on this side, most of them just look like James Dean rebels without a cause on this side. Some of them have come from poor theology churches, but there are so many to choose from that it looks a bit contrived on this side of the ocean.

alwight

I know what it look like over here, but I have less sympathy on this side, most of them just look like James Dean rebels without a cause on this side. Some of them have come from poor theology churches, but there are so many to choose from that it looks a bit contrived on this side of the ocean.
It seems to me that particularly in the American Bible Belt the Christian religion can be a fearful thing in America. A culture exists of "Jesus is my friend" and anyone who isn't a proclaimed "friend of Jesus" is their enemy and therefore not to be tolerated, is what I often seem to see.
So atheists in America are perhaps being more rebellious than I or Stuu.
I experienced it myself while in the USA, when in my naivety, during an otherwise pleasant discussion with a local, I just happened to mention that I didn't actually believe in God, an otherwise innocuous remark here in the UK was treated with utter disgust, a big mistake.
I think Stuu is from New Zealand btw Lon.

Stuu

Either you get your wish, which would be hell, or you get your wish and are annihilated.
You would think christians could decide which they wish for me, torture or destruction.

Because whatever you actually enjoy in your life and existence that is good, comes from Him.
Yes, you might be familiar with Monty Python's song All Things Dull And Ugly, to the tune of all things bright and beautiful, available on YouTube.

Logically, you are mistaking allowance to foster an false confidence.
No, it's simpler than that: the Judeo-christian mythology is a confidence trick.

My position is this: I don't care what is desirable as much as what is true.
My position also.

In a sense, it is self-serving because it explains my desirability to live by what is true, even if it is uncomfortable.
But it's not really uncomfortable, is it. Questioning is uncomfortable, but you evidently don't do that. Otherwise you wouldn't have got natural history so wrong. You have never really questioned the ancient Jewish mythology, even though they clearly only had fables of firmaments in place of evidence-based science.

Again, in the end, there is nothing but getting what one hopes for: An eternity of getting your wish and not being with Him, or annihilation.
So it's not just about a singular dedication to what is true, come what may. It is the hope of eternal grovelling, whether it is true or not.

"I didn't know jumping off this cliff would make me live in a wheel chair the rest of my life! It is not fair." - There is no fair, there is only the consequence of our actions and choices. If I tempt gravity, the consequence was and is, indeed from what I chose.
There is no cliff, and anyway the threat to punish humans who never express the slightest interest in gods is inherently unjust. This is already an unjust god before it judges anyone. Could we bring ourselves to forgive it?

If this is the best of my understanding, I'd likely reject it also.
Well that's what it says in your scripture. Have you read it?

I think the Church of England did a number on a good many of you.
Not me, thankfully.

I think that too is why Dawkins is rethinking his stance.
Hilarious. He is not dogmatic, but he is neither an idiot.

He just never realized that Christianity is different than where any one particular denomination gets it wrong. His statement that only Christianity can stop Islam, and that a lot of his bias was due to indoctrination, is a bit of a revelation on what you blokes are facing over there. I suppose that is why the Evangelical church there is growing.
Sorry I don't understand that paragraph.

I don't. Perhaps I need to entertain the idea that British atheists might have some better reasons. If that is what is passing for theology on your side of the ocean, read a few theologians on this side. I guess that is what you are doing. The damage done is a bit of a hurdle though.
I live on the other side of the Pacific Ocean, not the other side of the Atlantic. Although I did the latter a couple of times.

Because we do have studies this side of the ocean that says it works.
Of course you do. And you have just as many that demonstrate prayer has no effect. So what you have to do is combine the studies together in a meta analysis, which means you get a much larger sample size. Conclusion: prayer has no effect.

like Spinoza and Einstein said: Science cannot be divorced from faith.
What, they both said that? Quotes with references cited, please.

I just don't think, academically, it is a good idea to argue with Einstein.
Well many people did, because he got lots of things wrong. How would he have learned and contributed further if no one had ever argued with him?

When you dissect something you kill it. Observational science, in this case, is better science than a sterile and fabricated facsimile. I'd tell science "observe, don't contrive, else you'll not get what you are actually looking for. Even singing to your unborn in a lab, is a contrivance to simply doing a case-study. Case studies do show prayer has positive effect. Compare. It is generally the lab that finds inconclusive or negligible results, and I think, specifically because what it is measuring is a contrivance. The one study I'd seen wasn't really that involved. They had no way of knowing if it was just in that area, if the results were repeatable or any number of important variables. A study like this needs to be over several decades, perhaps with observational study and lab study that is unobtrusive....
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, do you.

Er, good science calls into question results it doesn't expect.
You said that wouldn't be a good idea in the case of Einstein.

I know Einstein and I know of Spinoza's God. This was part of my BA studies.
No you don't know Einstein. You messed up the most important public quote, that about science, blind, religion, lame. And now you are crediting faith on Einstein's behalf, too.

AiG was first on the list. I read several.
Well don't go to AiG. They lie. I know one of their writers. A very intelligent chap. Utterly deluded and in denial about reality though.

Would you suggest one trying to catch up on a microbiology learning curve only pay attention to his/her detractors?
If it is a question of science, pay attention to evidence. Professional scientists are the ones to help you interpret the evidence that they have painstakingly and impartially collected, but they too should be questioned, despite your fawning attitude to one famous scientist above. And indeed the editors of the journals scientists publish in are ruthless, and they send manuscripts to peer reviewers who lust the blood of feeble ideas. This is not pretty, but it gives the best quality of information we have.

On the other hand, AiG do none of that, and they display openly their commitment to the Judeo-christian book of talking donkeys come what may.

So now you know.

I mentioned to you earlier: Coping mechanisms. I may even be wrong about your particular study. The one I had read several years ago, introduced on TOL, was unconscionable because heart patients died or suffered because of their test.
You mean that a patient died because he had been prayed for?? You should take that up with your god.

I went there also. It wouldn't make sense to have presented the same exact material you'd have given. I was rather looking for the rebuttal. I even thanked you for it, remember?
Yes, thank you for the thanks. I did write that myself, with a little bit of fact-checking help from the internets.

Have read a bit of him. The basics are that if numbers didn't matter, you'd never have a problem emptying out your wallet for me, by my simply asking. So, I meant both.
Well indeed. That sounds like a synthesis of Russell's mathematical philosophy and his outspoken atheism.

Not necessarily to the first part, yes (if possible) to the second part.
I'm only telling you circular logic is a fallacy because that is what it is: a logical fallacy. You can look up logical fallacies in the Holy Wikipedia.

I'm not on an atheist website and I wonder if you are masochistic being on a Christian website. I'm not sure I need to apologize in that sense. You choose to be here with the offense. I don't demand an apology.
That's ok then. Although it's not all of your coreligionists on TOL that share your magnanimity.

I wonder myself if I am masochistic posting here too. I'm sure the creationist threads do my blood pressure no good at all.

Again, I'm not sure if I empathize, nor if we all the way over here in America are that loud across the sea? I don't know what it is like in your neck of the woods. How many of us in this thread are European Christians? I suppose it makes sense to file complaint where ever it is allowed to be logged, but it gets a bit out of touch with the esoteric for me. I am just not sure how much I/we actually effect you over there.
Well your marvelous nation has re-exported young earth creationism, for a start. That has set back education to some degree wherever it has landed.

Stuart

Last edited:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
What is perhaps the most interesting part of this "discussion" is that the fundamentalist Christians here need a specific definition of "species" that allows no change. Fundamentalist Christians seem to need certainty---certainty in the existence of their deity, of their salvation, etc. That seems to carry over to the need for an unchanging science.
Unfortunately, the natural world does not fit that model. There is some truth in Stripey's claim that the definition of species is a bit malleable. But it is so, not because it satisfies the need of the atheistic Darwin-lover and god-haters; it is so because that is the way the natural world is. To paraphrase Donald Rumsfield---the real world is messy, evolution is messy.
Sorry Stripey, sorry you cannot live with the real world.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I recommend you read the thread, and keep your eyes open for the post where I quoted to you the Oxford Concise definitions of species and kind, and pointed out to you that, according to that dictionary, 'kind' had a biological definition that was more vague than 'species', because kind means species or race, and race has it's own problematic definitions.

Nice try. That definition has been found wanting.

Do try to keep up. :thumb:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It seems to me that particularly in the American Bible Belt the Christian religion can be a fearful thing in America. A culture exists of "Jesus is my friend" and anyone who isn't a proclaimed "friend of Jesus" is their enemy and therefore not to be tolerated, is what I often seem to see.
I experienced it myself while in the USA, when in my naivety, during an otherwise pleasant discussion with a local, I just happened to mention that I didn't actually believe in God, an otherwise innocuous remark here in the UK was treated with utter disgust, a big mistake.
You would think christians could decide which they wish for me, torture or destruction.
Yes, you might be familiar with Monty Python's song All Things Dull And Ugly, to the tune of all things bright and beautiful, available on YouTube.
No, it's simpler than that: the Judeo-christian mythology is a confidence trick.
My position also.
But it's not really uncomfortable, is it. Questioning is uncomfortable, but you evidently don't do that. Otherwise you wouldn't have got natural history so wrong. You have never really questioned the ancient Jewish mythology, even though they clearly only had fables of firmaments in place of evidence-based science.
So it's not just about a singular dedication to what is true, come what may. It is the hope of eternal grovelling, whether it is true or not.
There is no cliff, and anyway the threat to punish humans who never express the slightest interest in gods is inherently unjust. This is already an unjust god before it judges anyone. Could we bring ourselves to forgive it?
Well that's what it says in your scripture. Have you read it?
Not me, thankfully.
Hilarious. He is not dogmatic, but he is neither an idiot.
Sorry I don't understand that paragraph.
I live on the other side of the Pacific Ocean, not the other side of the Atlantic. Although I did the latter a couple of times.
Of course you do. And you have just as many that demonstrate prayer has no effect. So what you have to do is combine the studies together in a meta analysis, which means you get a much larger sample size. Conclusion: prayer has no effect.
What, they both said that? Quotes with references cited, please.
Well many people did, because he got lots of things wrong. How would he have learned and contributed further if no one had ever argued with him?
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, do you.
You said that wouldn't be a good idea in the case of Einstein.
No you don't know Einstein. You messed up the most important public quote, that about science, blind, religion, lame. And now you are crediting faith on Einstein's behalf, too.
Well don't go to AiG. They lie. I know one of their writers. A very intelligent chap. Utterly deluded and in denial about reality though.
If it is a question of science, pay attention to evidence. Professional scientists are the ones to help you interpret the evidence that they have painstakingly and impartially collected, but they too should be questioned, despite your fawning attitude to one famous scientist above. And indeed the editors of the journals scientists publish in are ruthless, and they send manuscripts to peer reviewers who lust the blood of feeble ideas. This is not pretty, but it gives the best quality of information we have.
On the other hand, AiG do none of that, and they display openly their commitment to the Judeo-christian book of talking donkeys come what may.
So now you know.
You mean that a patient died because he had been prayed for?? You should take that up with your god.
Yes, thank you for the thanks. I did write that myself, with a little bit of fact-checking help from the internets.
Well indeed. That sounds like a synthesis of Russell's mathematical philosophy and his outspoken atheism.
I'm only telling you circular logic is a fallacy because that is what it is: a logical fallacy. You can look up logical fallacies in the Holy Wikipedia.
That's ok then. Although it's not all of your coreligionists on TOL that share your magnanimity.
I wonder myself if I am masochistic posting here too. I'm sure the creationist threads do my blood pressure no good at all.
Well your marvelous nation has re-exported young earth creationism, for a start. That has set back education to some degree wherever it has landed.
Stuart
Darwinists hate sticking to the topic.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is perhaps the most interesting part of this "discussion" is that the fundamentalist Christians here need a specific definition of "species" that allows no change.
Nope.

I don't care what your definition of species is, as long as you hold to it consistently and accept challenges to your religion based upon its place in the context of your stories.

Fundamentalist Christians seem to need certainty---certainty in the existence of their deity, of their salvation, etc. That seems to carry over to the need for an unchanging science.
:AMR:

That words have definitions does not mean that nothing can change.

Are you mental?

Unfortunately, the natural world does not fit that model. There is some truth in Stripey's claim that the definition of species is a bit malleable. But it is so, not because it satisfies the need of the atheistic Darwin-lover and god-haters; it is so because that is the way the natural world is.
Uh, no. We too believe that creatures have gone through substantial changes, yet our definition is rock solid amid all that change.

You seem to be confusing the definition of an abstract concept with reality.

To paraphrase Donald Rumsfield---the real world is messy, evolution is messy.

Definitions are not the real world. They are idealized descriptions of words so that we can communicate in a rational manner. That it is difficult to pin down what is happening is not helped by using definitions that cannot be pinned down. When a Darwinist says "species," he could mean anything. When he is challenged on what he means, he equivocates. When asked to define his terms, he runs away.

Meanwhile, the fundamentalist has defined his terms and is willing to stick with them.

Last edited:

Lon

You have to realize, in America, since 1960, atheists primarily, are the ones attacking American values and SCOTUS is caving in like dominoes on every demand. It is unwise to mention you are on the side of the political attackers. There are only very few atheists in America. It is committing intellectual, spiritual, family, and other kinds of political suicide. It isn't stopping SCOTUS from deferring. You literally rip apart your nation to overtly favor minority. There were other answers to simply 'taking prayer out of schools.' We are being attacked, not just by secularization, but atheism. You may not have been able to empathize with that Southern man. This is basically it. You couldn't do a thing one way or the other, so it is odd for you to have volunteered the information. There is no reason to 'side with the enemy' when you aren't a part of the culture warring the decisions. We also have been incredibly opposite of atheistic communism, as a nation, and in our values for a very long time. It just doesn't make sense for you to have volunteered you were an atheist. I might have even said "I don't argue or discuss politics or religion." (Not really anything to respond to here, just a bit of a sounding board for you to analyze what you experienced). -Lon

Lon

I see you were banned :( Two points:
I am telling you, that even for you, it doesn't matter. You, yourself, say 'annihilation.' My point wasn't to debate the point but say consequences follow actions, whether we know the outcome or not. Naïve is no excuse once you are at least pointed toward a cognizant direction. I realize your wife telling you, you will kill yourself, or a Creationist telling you the same falls pretty much into the same category and the warning goes unheeded.

:nono: 1) I provided links. You? :nono:
2) I have seen this untenable reaction so it wasn't unexpected or I'd not have said so.
However, it is you selling a false perception. I am well aware of what the atheist community has tried to prop up concerning Einstein.
You cannot compare a casual letter to a formal paper. One purposefully sets out one's beliefs. Einstein favored Judeo-Christian beliefs. His comments that atheists use, are about Greek and Norse 'man-reflecting' superstition. He clearly was against other superstitious religions, NOT Judeo-Christianity. I don't blame you so much for believing your snake-oil salesman, but it is, indeed, you who are duped. Research, don't be a dupe. You are incorrect, and horribly so. When I've provided the links to prove it? This is all on you. Imho, you are sinning to be purposefully obtuse.

alwight

It just doesn't make sense for you to have volunteered you were an atheist. I might have even said "I don't argue or discuss politics or religion."
I don't regard simply being an atheist is a shameful thing and don't mind who knows but if that fact upsets someone dogmatically restricted to what they were brought up to believe then that's their problem not mine.
My only concerns would be pragmatics ones like getting out of town alive.
American atheists seem to feel some strength in numbers but can't yet risk expressing themselves as individuals as we can here. Christianity in the UK simply is peaceful and unthreatening, are you happy that in some areas of America Christianity has an underlying menace and intolerance?
I realise that a new thread may be a better than here for this topic.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Nope. The definition of kind I use is clear and useful. Even Darwinists can use it — when they get over themselves and admit that it exists.

Wrong again, Stripey. Your entire thought process is based on a theological myth, so it is not surprising that your are wrong.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wrong again, Stripey. Your entire thought process is based on a theological myth, so it is not surprising that your are wrong.
Nope. We have a concept and it has been defined using a word. It's called communication. The creationists have defined their terms and are willing to test ideas without equivocation.

Meanwhile, the Darwinists can't even acknowledge that an idea has a definition. They will do anything to avoid the discussion.

Jose Fly

What is perhaps the most interesting part of this "discussion" is that the fundamentalist Christians here need a specific definition of "species" that allows no change. Fundamentalist Christians seem to need certainty---certainty in the existence of their deity, of their salvation, etc. That seems to carry over to the need for an unchanging science.

That's a very astute observation. One of the psychological traits that is common among fundamentalists is a need for certainty. So the fact that the word "species" has different definitions for different situations, and has exceptions is something that they just can't handle (as this thread demonstrates).

Unfortunately, the natural world does not fit that model. There is some truth in Stripey's claim that the definition of species is a bit malleable. But it is so, not because it satisfies the need of the atheistic Darwin-lover and god-haters; it is so because that is the way the natural world is. To paraphrase Donald Rumsfield---the real world is messy, evolution is messy.

It's that way because populations are constantly evolving, which can make it difficult to determine where to draw the line between "species". It's like looking at a spectrum of colors and trying to say where red ends and organge begins. Depending on the spectrum, it can be very difficult to tell. So I guess using creationist logic, that means "red" and "orange" are meaningless terms!

On the flip side, if everything were created completely separately and distinctly by a God, we would expect the lines between taxa to be unmistakable and unchangeable. But instead we see the exact opposite.

So this is yet another area in which the creationists are trying to tell everyone that reality is the opposite of what it truly is.