Rules Governing The Gift Of Teaching

WeberHome

-
Eph 4:11 . . It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers

I gather from Eph 4:11 that seminaries may produce teachers, but not necessarily teachers with Christ's gift for teaching; and he has somewhat to say about how his gift is put to use, and abuse.

Rom 12:6-8 . . We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is teaching, let him teach

In other words; people with the gift of teaching aren't necessarily what we call in the trades "cross-trained". If teaching is the only gift that Christ has bestowed upon somebody, then anything else they try will be off-reservation; and God forbid that somebody attempt to instruct Christ's sheep sans the gift.

Jas 3:1 . . Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

/

Truster

One rule:

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"

When I hear the voice of Messiah and my Saviour in the teaching I rejoice, but more often than not it is a wolf doing an impersonation.

WeberHome

Re: Rules Governing The Gift Of Teaching

-
Before they can begin to teach others, potential teachers themselves need to first undergo adequate instruction.

Heb 5:12-14 . . In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.

You could say that the recipients of that evaluation were developmentally delayed; viz: late bloomers, due to malnutrition.

2Tim 2:2 . .The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, these entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.

Churches are sort of like Ponzi schemes. Congregations are always in need of new teachers coming in to replace those who are going out, e.g. the retiring, the dead, the dying, the dropping out, and the moving away.

/

Lon

-
Eph 4:11 . . It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers

I gather from Eph 4:11 that seminaries may produce teachers, but not necessarily teachers with Christ's gift for teaching; and he has somewhat to say about how his gift is put to use, and abuse.

Rom 12:6-8 . . We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is teaching, let him teach

In other words; people with the gift of teaching aren't necessarily what we call in the trades "cross-trained". If teaching is the only gift that Christ has bestowed upon somebody, then anything else they try will be off-reservation; and God forbid that somebody attempt to instruct Christ's sheep sans the gift.

Jas 3:1 . . Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

/
:think: 2 Timothy 2:24 1 Timothy 3:2

Granted authority position can be abused. Here is a question: Can any 'actual' spiritual gift be abused? (kind of like the other side of the coin)

oatmeal

-

/

Your comment on Ephesians 4:11 is right.

The teachers that Ephesians 4:11 speaks of have nothing to do with men's organizations assigning teaching assignments to people who graduated from a seminary or Bible college.

Even as Jesus Christ ordained twelve to be apostles, even so apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers are ministries given to the church by God in Christ for the benefit of the church.

It is a vocation, a calling from and of God

WeberHome

-
1Tim 3:1-2 . . If any man aspires to the office of overseer, it is a fine work he desires to do. An overseer, then, must be . . . able to teach

The koiné Greek word for "overseer" is episkopos (ep-is'-kop-os) which essentially refers to superintendents, i.e. department heads.

Seeing as how teaching is a prerequisite here, then I'd guess that the department heads in view are the ones responsible for Christian education, i.e. the various Sunday school classes; e.g. children, teen-agers, young adults, married couples, singles, and senior citizens, etc.

I think it's reasonable to assume that Christian education department heads lacking the gift of teaching quite naturally gravitate towards, and select, under-teachers who also lack the gift of teaching; which is no doubt why Paul said, via the inspiration of God, that an overseer's ability to teach is a must.

Can you just imagine the mess a church would be in if not only its education departments lacked the gift of teaching; but on top of that its pastors lacked the gift of pastoring? From the pulpit to the pew, everyone in that church would be totally out of sync with Christ.

/

WeberHome

-
2Tim 2:24 . . And the Lord's servant must . . . be able to teach

There's a rule governing the gift of teaching that goes on the dotted line connecting "must" and "be able". It reads like this:

-- not quarrel; instead. kind to everyone --

The koiné Greek word for quarrel is machomai (makh'-om-ahee) which means: to war, i.e. dispute.

Well; disputing is what car salesmen do because they're desperate to move vehicles. But the Lord's servant isn't a salesman; no, he's a herald; which is essentially a messenger.

Quite a few of the people I encounter on internet forums aren't the heralding type. No; they're rivalrous, competitive, confrontational, and combative; and get really upset when I don't agree with and/or support their POV.

The Greek word for "kind" is epios (ay'-pee-os) which essentially means affable, i.e. mild

Webster's defines "mild" as gentle in nature or behavior; viz: temperate; in other words: agreeable, approachable, reasonable, calm, tactful, mellow, and composed and self-controlled.

Non-mild people could be characterized as moody, grudging, irritable, emotional, thin-skinned, belligerent, pugnacious, brawling, loud, defensive, flaming, confrontational, and reactive; around whom everybody has to walk on egg shells all the time to avoid setting them off.

Patience and kindness are important; ergo: impatient, unkind people should not attempt to teach for Christ even if he has bestowed upon them the actual, honest to gosh, gift of teaching; otherwise they'll be representing him in the flesh instead of in the Spirit.

Gal 5:21-22 . .The fruit of the Spirit is patience and kindness.

/

Gurucam

One who teaches must have the Gift to get All Truth/all knowledge directly from the Spirit of Jesus/Spirit of Truth through one's own heart/spirit and not from the written scriptures.

Ephesians: 3 KJV N.T.
16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

John 16: King James Version (KJV)
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Romans: 8 KJV N.T.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Being given to teach is not about being certified/trained in any local institution. It is not about getting a 'Bachelor', 'doctorate', etc.. It is not about any human or group of humans educating and/or certifying one.

It is about getting the require Gift of the Spirit to know and to teach.

It is about being 'converted' (becoming spiritually aware) then seeking direct, intuitive communion with Spirit, 'not seen' and eternal, Son of God Jesus through one's own heart/spirit, in real time, all the time. And being led by this Spirit in real time, all the time.

Last edited:

Gurucam

A teacher must be like Paul:

A teacher must be like Paul:

A teacher must be like Paul, who knew and communed with only the Spirit of Jesus/Spirit of Truth:

Galatians: 1 KJV N.T.
1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead)
11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Truster

You hear voices?

Just as Messiah spoke in the prophets and apostles he is also heard in the voices or the words of His called, equipped and sent teachers. He is only savingly heard by His sheep. Recognising truth is recognising Messiah who told us* the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth.

Why do you question the veracity of the scripture? Because you haven't experienced the power of the evangelism. It came to you in word only and not in power.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Just as Messiah spoke in the prophets and apostles he is also heard in the voices or the words of His called, equipped and sent teachers. He is only savingly heard by His sheep. Recognising truth is recognising Messiah who told us* the Holy Spirit will lead us into all truth.

Why do you question the veracity of the scripture? Because you haven't experienced the power of the evangelism. It came to you in word only and not in power.
:rotfl: Welcome back from your ban

Truster

:rotfl: Welcome back from your ban

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"

People just hate the truth when if flies into the face of their own opinions.

WeberHome

-
Rom 12:7b . . If you are a teacher, do a good job of teaching.

I had a Sunday school teacher once who worked as a maintenance man in a public swimming facility. One Saturday he had to work late repairing some equipment at the pool and had no time to prepare his lesson plan for Sunday morning so he just threw something together. It stunk; and my wife and I got nothing out of it.

In contrast, I once knew a pastor who took all week long to prepare his Sunday morning sermons rather than just Saturday night. Now there was a guy who knew what it means to "do a good job of teaching". His heart was really in it.

/

iamaberean

Several years ago my adult son ask me about preterism. Since the study of preterism is not allowed by church doctrine, I first had to pray. I ask God to show me truth and when and if he did I would accept it. Since this went against man's doctrine I can no longer attend their church without the understanding that I am not allowed to teach it.

My church, and all of the other denominations, have a man made doctrine that goes against God and his word. So the first thing required to be a bible believing teacher is to, at the very least, get away from your denominational church and go to a non-denominational one.

God's Truth

Several years ago my adult son ask me about preterism. Since the study of preterism is not allowed by church doctrine, I first had to pray. I ask God to show me truth and when and if he did I would accept it. Since this went against man's doctrine I can no longer attend their church without the understanding that I am not allowed to teach it.

My church, and all of the other denominations, have a man made doctrine that goes against God and his word. So the first thing required to be a bible believing teacher is to, at the very least, get away from your denominational church and go to a non-denominational one.

Even non denominational churches have their own doctrines that are man made.

iamaberean

Even non denominational churches have their own doctrines that are man made.

Mostly this is true. The sad part of this whole thing is that God has given so much knowledge, and none of it goes against the salvation issue. I consider it to be information for all denominations but so far it hasn't changed anything.

God's Truth

Mostly this is true. The sad part of this whole thing is that God has given so much knowledge, and none of it goes against the salvation issue. I consider it to be information for all denominations but so far it hasn't changed anything.

What do you mean that God has given so much knowledge and none of it goes against the salvation issue?

Did you mean to say false doctrines don't interfere with salvation?

iamaberean

What do you mean that God has given so much knowledge and none of it goes against the salvation issue?

Yes, knowledge is a gift and not everyone has it.
If one wants the gift of knowledge, then ask God for it as I did. At that point one should accept the knowledge that God gives or you will lose it.

1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

iamaberean

God holds the shepherd of his sheep to a higher standard. The good shepherd is not concerned for money, but for the sheep.
Joh 10:12 But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep.
Joh 10:13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
hire·ling

ˈhī(ə)rliNG/
nounderogatory
noun: hireling; plural noun: hirelings

a person who works purely for material reward.

Last edited: