Robb Elementary School shooting

marke

Well, my contention is that nobody should be issued with or allowed to own a gun until stringent background checks have been carried out to ascertain whether they're fit to have one.
There were background checks and red flag laws in Florida before the disturbed mental patient killed all those kids at the Parkland school. There was an armed guard at the school who ran and hid when Cruz showed up with the gun in his illegal backpack. Cruz bought the gun legally, so how did that happen with his track record? He was not listed as a mental case or dangerous in spite of dozens of evidence because of school and government policies that kept his disturbing trends under wraps.

So how should we fix the laws to prevent future similar attacks? Add background checks? No, those laws were already there. Add red flag laws? No. those laws are useless in cases where schools or the government conceal the crimes and disturbances of mental cases. Cruz was not allowed to carry a backpack to school because of his known mental illness and yet the mentally ill student entered the school unchallenged with his illegal backpack. That tells us that adding more gun laws would not have stopped a disturbed law-breaking mental case like Cruz.

Florida Shooting Suspect Nikolas Cruz Bought His AR-15 Legally (businessinsider.com)

• Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old suspected of killing 17 in a shooting spree at Florida high school, legally purchased the AR-15 he allegedly used in the crime.
  • Florida wouldn't require fingerprints, a special permit, or even a waiting period before Cruz bought his gun. Anyone over 18 can buy a rifle in Florida if they pass a background check.
  • At 19 with no criminal background — despite Cruz's disciplinary record at school — all he needed was a few hundred dollars to buy the rifle.

Gary K

Banned
That's not owner responsibility...That's restricting ownership. Not the same thing. :rolleyes:
When AB says tighter restrictions he's talking. in his head, about making people responsible by taking away their constitutional rights. If someone can't buy a gun then that gun can't get out of lock down and go shoot someone. :rolleyes:

Arthur Brain

That's not owner responsibility...That's restricting ownership. Not the same thing. :rolleyes:
Restricting ownership is responsible and it affects a lot more than the right to bear firearms. If you're responsible then you have the right to own a gun, a dog, to work in the care sector etc etc. If you have a record of irresponsibilty, animal abuse, assault then you shouldn't own a gun, a dog or work in care. If you want to think that's akin to people's rights being trampled on then your prerogative but it's common sense AFAIC.

Arthur Brain

When AB says tighter restrictions he's talking. in his head, about making people responsible by taking away their constitutional rights. If someone can't buy a gun then that gun can't get out of lock down and go shoot someone. :rolleyes:
You can't "make people responsible" as if they can be programmed or something so once again, way off the mark there dude.

marke

Restricting ownership is responsible and it affects a lot more than the right to bear firearms. If you're responsible then you have the right to own a gun, a dog, to work in the care sector etc etc. If you have a record of irresponsibilty, animal abuse, assault then you shouldn't own a gun, a dog or work in care. If you want to think that's akin to people's rights being trampled on then your prerogative but it's common sense AFAIC.
Where have any gun laws in the US prevented crooks from using illegal guns to illegally murder people? What is the current weekly death count of children gunned down in Chicago? Ten per week? Chicago has gun laws. How are those gun laws working?

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I wasn't arguing that restrictions should or should not exist, I was trying to keep you focused on the subject.

Thank you for reminding me where I am. :rolleyes:
You can't "make people responsible" as if they can be programmed or something so once again, way off the mark there dude.
Not his point....Again, thanks.

Arthur Brain

I wasn't arguing that restrictions should or should not exist, I was trying to keep you focused on the subject.

Thank you for reminding me where I am. :rolleyes:

Not his point....Again, thanks.

I don't need your "help" in focusing thanks. His "point" as usual had no bearing in reality. Where have I stated or come close to stating anything about making people more responsible by taking away their constitutional rights?

Hint: Never happened and the guy is a hamper short of a picnic frankly.

marke

I don't need your "help" in focusing thanks. His "point" as usual had no bearing in reality. Where have I stated or come close to stating anything about making people more responsible by taking away their constitutional rights?

Hint: Never happened and the guy is a hamper short of a picnic frankly.
What part of 2nd amendment logic do you not like?

1656340074712.jpeg

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

What school shootings do to the kids who survive them, from Sandy Hook to Uvalde

Children who have lived through school shootings share how the horror of what they saw or heard or lost still haunts them

“In general, the more a traumatic experience shatters your world view,” Perry said, “the harder it is to recover.”

Zoey Hall was only 4 years old on the afternoon that a shooter came to her school on Sept. 28, 2016, and she remembers almost everything about it, even though the people who love her wish she didn’t.

The memories might have faded by now if Zoey hadn’t refused to let them go. It was the worst day of her life but it was also the last one she spent with her 6-year-old brother, Jacob. The last day she called him “Bubba” and he called her “Sissy.” The last day he held her hand and walked her into Townville Elementary.

Mostly, though, there are the bad memories, the ones that come back — as they did again this week — when she hears that what happened to Jacob in rural South Carolina has happened again to other kids in some other place.

marke

What school shootings do to the kids who survive them, from Sandy Hook to Uvalde

Children who have lived through school shootings share how the horror of what they saw or heard or lost still haunts them

“In general, the more a traumatic experience shatters your world view,” Perry said, “the harder it is to recover.”

Zoey Hall was only 4 years old on the afternoon that a shooter came to her school on Sept. 28, 2016, and she remembers almost everything about it, even though the people who love her wish she didn’t.

The memories might have faded by now if Zoey hadn’t refused to let them go. It was the worst day of her life but it was also the last one she spent with her 6-year-old brother, Jacob. The last day she called him “Bubba” and he called her “Sissy.” The last day he held her hand and walked her into Townville Elementary.

Mostly, though, there are the bad memories, the ones that come back — as they did again this week — when she hears that what happened to Jacob in rural South Carolina has happened again to other kids in some other place.
Violence is traumatic. How many Americans have been traumatized by the tens of thousands of violent deaths in our soft-on-crime cities every year or by the dozens of victims of gun-free zoned school shootings every other year?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Violence is traumatic. How many Americans have been traumatized by... school shootings

I know three students, now adults, who survived direct (close proximity) school shootings in two different states. Two of them suffer the effects of that trauma to this day. How many Americans know someone or are related to someone directly affected by a school shooting? Too many.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I know three students, now adults, who survived direct (close proximity) school shootings in two different states. Two of them suffer the effects of that trauma to this day. How many Americans know someone or are related to someone directly affected by a school shooting? Too many.
Gee, if only we could all agree that school shootings shouldn't happen.

marke

Far too many people are hurt by senseless violence. One group has estimated that 111 people die every day from gun violence. Another report claims school shootings have claimed the lives of 100 victims since 2013. Since current laws are not working we might be wise to stop and think about why not. Perhaps arming more good people would have better results than disarming more good people. Perhaps more rigorous enforcement of the death penalty and more responsible and effective crackdowns on criminals would help also.

Advice to those who suffer: Take your troubles to Jesus and seek His forgiveness and help.