Report: Justice Antonin Scalia found dead

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Nope, he was not. The Bible is quite silent on abortion for the simple reason that a foetus is not considered a child until one month post birth (for boy children, longer for girls.) Only then were they numbered among the "children of Israel. "

Scripture ?

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
How much time does the baby murdering sodomite need to get yet another radical judicial activist confirmed to SCOTUS?

If you would like to discuss the SCOTUS rulings on homosexuality and how Justice Scalia stood, I'm here.
Perhaps we should at least wait for Scalia's funeral before indulging in yet another fanatical rant!

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Perhaps we should at least wait for Scalia's funeral before indulging in yet another fanatical rant!

I thought for sure that you'd be spitting on Scalia's grave by now jgarden, after all, he has been dead for about a day. I guess that's what liberal forums are for huh?

Actually some do their spitting in private here on TOL:

patrick jane: Scalia was a pig wasn't he ?

Yes, the LGBTQ movement really did and still does HATE Antonin Scalia.

kiwimacahau

Scripture ?

From Numbers comes the command to number the males of Israel.
" . . .Number the children of Levi after the house of their fathers, by their families: every male from a month old and upward shalt thou number them. And Moses numbered them according to the word of the LORD. . . -- Numbers 3:15-16 "

And as to the "week" I am reminded, that in Jewish law, immediately after birth, a woman is considered niddah and must remain sexually separated from her husband for a period of seven days after the birth of a male child and 14 days after the birth of a female child. Lev. 12:2. This separation is the same as the regular monthly niddah separation. . ." I appear to have confused the two time periods.

Certainly, as far as Numbers is concerned, a child was not counted as an Israelite until they were a month old. Leviticus also echoes this;

" . . .And if it be from a month old even unto five years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male five shekels of silver, and for the female thy estimation shall be three shekels of silver. -- Leviticus 27:6 . . ."

drbrumley

Certainly, as far as Numbers is concerned, a child was not counted as an Israelite until they were a month old. Leviticus also echoes this;

" . . .And if it be from a month old even unto five years old, then thy estimation shall be of the male five shekels of silver, and for the female thy estimation shall be three shekels of silver. -- Leviticus 27:6 . . ."

And this means what to you?

rexlunae

It seems in poor taste to really celebrate his death, and I honestly don't want to. But I am glad that he won't be voting on the court in the future.

musterion

Aboma may float a loser nominee first to give the media time to gin up pressure on the Rs. Then, when they're ready to squeal and submit, he'll bring out his real choice.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
It seems in poor taste to really celebrate his death, and I honestly don't want to. But I am glad that he won't be voting on the court in the future.

He was one of the few people on the court with a decent head on his shoulders. I've read Scalia's writing before. His "philosophy" as a supreme court justice was that he was simply applying the law, as written, to the cases before him.

You don't like Scalia because he actually followed the law and wasn't willing to throw out the law to suit his own activist agenda.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
He was one of the few people on the court with a decent head on his shoulders. I've read Scalia's writing before. His "philosophy" as a supreme court justice was that he was simply applying the law, as written, to the cases before him.

You don't like Scalia because he actually followed the law and wasn't willing to throw out the law to suit his own activist agenda.

He would have been willing to suit his own religious agenda if he needed to.
Scalia was brilliant, his decisions were often masterful and make good reads.
His position on the Constitution however was troubling. He was unwilling to interpret it in light of today's culture, in part I think, because it would require information beyond the written document. He would rather have gone back to the culture of the late 1700's when it was written. But to do that it seems to me to also require information beyond the written document and makes a determination that the founders would have reached the same conclusions today that they did then.
One of the geniuses of the founders was that there are parts of the Constitution that are open to interpretation. Perhaps they were aware of how the world changes over time to a greater extent than Justice Scalia.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
He would have been willing to suit his own religious agenda if he needed to.
Scalia was brilliant, his decisions were often masterful and make good reads.
His position on the Constitution however was troubling. He was unwilling to interpret it in light of today's culture, in part I think, because it would require information beyond the written document.

The constitution is not a product of today's culture. A court justice does not and should not need information beyond the written document. The law that they are applying is the constitution as it is written. End of story.

One striking example of this that I recall Scalia talking about is about how the court ruled, against his vote, that it's acceptable at least in some cases to prevent a defendant from directly facing his accuser, face to face, in court, if that accuser is a minor.

Scalia's answer? It's a constitutional right, and for darned good reason: it's to ferret out lying witnesses.

No further "information" is required to see what the law said and what the law intended.

He would rather have gone back to the culture of the late 1700's when it was written. But to do that it seems to me to also require information beyond the written document and makes a determination that the founders would have reached the same conclusions today that they did then.

The law is the law is the law.

If you don't like the law, then you should be demanding that congress amend the constitution. Otherwise? The law says what the law says, and the role of a supreme court justice is simply to apply the law, not to make their own.

Period.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
The constitution is not a product of today's culture. A court justice does not and should not need information beyond the written document. The law that they are applying is the constitution as it is written. End of story.

One striking example of this that I recall Scalia talking about is about how the court ruled, against his vote, that it's acceptable at least in some cases to prevent a defendant from directly facing his accuser, face to face, in court, if that accuser is a minor.

Scalia's answer? It's a constitutional right, and for darned good reason: it's to ferret out lying witnesses.

No further "information" is required to see what the law said and what the law intended.

The law is the law is the law.

If you don't like the law, then you should be demanding that congress amend the constitution. Otherwise? The law says what the law says, and the role of a supreme court justice is simply to apply the law, not to make their own.

Period.

Got it, "as written". Then it should be easy to explain the term "due process". In 10 words or less.