Repentance and Sin No More, Perfection and Born of the Spirit

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
This study goes over why it is necessary to stop sinning, which is what "repent" actually means, what the circumcision of the heart is, what the baptism of the holy spirit causes, and the purpose of the first coming of Jesus Christ to not only atone for sin, but to end it. The study can be found in English here http://www.wisdomofgod.co/2017/03/07/repentance-and-sin-no-more-perfection-and-born-of-the-spirit/ or in Spanish here http://www.sabiduriadedios.co/2017/...ecar-no-mas-perfeccion-y-nacido-del-espiritu/ , let us begin a discussion on this matter here.

popsthebuilder

This study goes over why it is necessary to stop sinning, which is what "repent" actually means, what the circumcision of the heart is, what the baptism of the holy spirit causes, and the purpose of the first coming of Jesus Christ to not only atone for sin, but to end it. The study can be found in English here http://www.wisdomofgod.co/2017/03/07/repentance-and-sin-no-more-perfection-and-born-of-the-spirit/ or in Spanish here http://www.sabiduriadedios.co/2017/...ecar-no-mas-perfeccion-y-nacido-del-espiritu/ , let us begin a discussion on this matter here.
Surely not all things are expedient for us as believers and followers of Christ.

beloved57

cgaviria

This study goes over why it is necessary to stop sinning, which is what "repent" actually means,

First of all the word repent means:

Its the greek word metanoeó:

I repent, change my mind, change the inner man (particularly with reference to acceptance of the will of God), repent.
metanoéō (from 3326 /metá, "changed after being with" and 3539 /noiéō, "think") – properly, "think differently after," "after a change of mind"; to repent(literally, "think differently afterwards").

It has nothing to do with stop sinning. Its primarily a change of mind, to think differently.

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
cgaviria

First of all the word repent means:

Its the greek word metanoeó:

I repent, change my mind, change the inner man (particularly with reference to acceptance of the will of God), repent.
metanoéō (from 3326 /metá, "changed after being with" and 3539 /noiéō, "think") – properly, "think differently after," "after a change of mind"; to repent(literally, "think differently afterwards").

It has nothing to do with stop sinning. Its primarily a change of mind, to think differently.

If a murderer existed, of what avail would be his remorse be if he kept murdering over and over again? God wants you to STOP doing evil, and that is a reflection of a true remorse. But someone that keeps doing evil over and over again and thinks that by mere remorse he will be forgiven has deceived himself,

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
(Hebrews 10:26-27 [KJV])

beloved57

If a murderer existed, of what avail would be his remorse be if he kept murdering over and over again? God wants you to STOP doing evil, and that is a reflection of a true remorse. But someone that keeps doing evil over and over again and thinks that by mere remorse he will be forgiven has deceived himself,

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

You gave a faulty definition for repent !

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
You gave a faulty definition for repent !

No I did not, I gave the actual meaning of repent. You people want it to mean mere remorse because you want to continue in your sin and think that mere remorse will spare you from the coming wrath. You must STOP doing evil,

And she said, No one, O Lord. And Jesus said to her, Nor I condemn you; go and from now sin no more! (John 8:11 [ABP])

Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” (John 5:14 [NIV])

beloved57

cg
And she said, No one, O Lord. And Jesus said to her, Nor I condemn you; go and from now sin no more! (John 8:11 [ABP])

Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” (John 5:14 [NIV])

Jesus didnt say here in either verse repent and stop sinning, or that to repent means to stop sinning, you are handling the word deceitfully !

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
"Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment." (Hebrews 6:1-2)

nikolai_42

The heart of the word seems to be one of a change of mind, a turning away from. But the implication is that someone who turns away from something isn't going to jump back into the very thing he turned away from.

I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle.
Jeremiah 8:6

And just in the book of Jeremiah alone (the OT book in which the word appears most often), there are 10 verses where God is saying that He repents of something. Here are just a couple :

Thou hast forsaken me, saith the Lord, thou art gone backward: therefore will I stretch out my hand against thee, and destroy thee; I am weary with repenting.
Jeremiah 15:6

If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
Jeremiah 18:8

God is clearly saying He changed His mind - not that He stopped doing something.

So when you get to Paul's words in Romans 7 about wanting to do good but not finding the way to so do, you can't say that there isn't repentance there but rather the recognition of something deep that needs to be fundamentally changed before desire and behavior can line up. To define repentance simply as stop doing that is to make obedience to the law a prerequisite rather than an outcome. You really think if someone approached God and said something to the affect of "I can't stop doing this thing that I hate" that God would turn them away because they hadn't actually stopped doing it? Jesus came saying If thou wilt believe, not If thou wilt do.

popsthebuilder

False statement !
I'm sorry, but the exclamation does not make for truth.

Try studying the word, and not relying on the interpretation of others.

You unknowingly claim GOD sinned.

Thankfully blaspheme is forgiven. But that seems to make the Holy Spirit out as evil if repentance is strictly to stop sinning. You presume GOD sinned?

As I said; study for yourself. Study about when GOD repented, and then, I hope you will cease to make such unlearned statements.

peace

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
The heart of the word seems to be one of a change of mind, a turning away from. But the implication is that someone who turns away from something isn't going to jump back into the very thing he turned away from.

I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle.
Jeremiah 8:6

And just in the book of Jeremiah alone (the OT book in which the word appears most often), there are 10 verses where God is saying that He repents of something. Here are just a couple :

Thou hast forsaken me, saith the Lord, thou art gone backward: therefore will I stretch out my hand against thee, and destroy thee; I am weary with repenting.
Jeremiah 15:6

If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
Jeremiah 18:8

God is clearly saying He changed His mind - not that He stopped doing something.

So when you get to Paul's words in Romans 7 about wanting to do good but not finding the way to so do, you can't say that there isn't repentance there but rather the recognition of something deep that needs to be fundamentally changed before desire and behavior can line up. To define repentance simply as stop doing that is to make obedience to the law a prerequisite rather than an outcome. You really think if someone approached God and said something to the affect of "I can't stop doing this thing that I hate" that God would turn them away because they hadn't actually stopped doing it? Jesus came saying If thou wilt believe, not If thou wilt do.

Again I say, being remorseful is of no avail if you're still committing the same sins over and over again. True repentance means stop committing sin, hence,

Sober up righteously and do not sin, for some have ignorance of God. I speak to your shame. (1 Corinthians 15:34 [BLB])

beloved57

I'm sorry, but the exclamation does not make for truth.

Try studying the word, and not relying on the interpretation of others.

You unknowingly claim GOD sinned.

Thankfully blaspheme is forgiven. But that seems to make the Holy Spirit out as evil if repentance is strictly to stop sinning. You presume GOD sinned?

As I said; study for yourself. Study about when GOD repented, and then, I hope you will cease to make such unlearned statements.

peace

More worthless comments !

nikolai_42

Again I say, being remorseful is of no avail if you're still committing the same sins over and over again. True repentance means stop committing sin, hence,

Sober up righteously and do not sin, for some have ignorance of God. I speak to your shame. (1 Corinthians 15:34 [BLB])

Make no mistake. I agree that the fruits of repentance are an external change. But just as sin is a problem with the heart, so is repentance a posture of the heart in the opposite direction. Sometimes it doesn't become immediately apparent from an external perspective that repentance has occurred. Sometimes that has to be worked out over a long period.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

The call to repentance is the call for the sinner to repent, confessing their sin, and to turn to God.

Sin is always wrong, so no one should sin.

Believers are born again, born of the Spirit, and should not sin. An argument has been made that a believer, born of the Spirit of God, cannot and does not sin. Is it true? Is it true that believers, whether Jew or Gentile, do not sin?

Shalom.

Jacob

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

The call to repentance is the call for the sinner to repent, confessing their sin, and to turn to God.

Sin is always wrong, so no one should sin.

Believers are born again, born of the Spirit, and should not sin. An argument has been made that a believer, born of the Spirit of God, cannot and does not sin. Is it true? Is it true that believers, whether Jew or Gentile, do not sin?

Shalom.

Jacob

I provided the scriptures that prove so.