Religious Zealotry

Jenkins

Many of the original European settlers coming to North America were either expelled from their homelands because they were considered religious zealots, or they were expelled by religious zealots that would no longer tolerate their different religious views at home. Such that the founders of these United States had the specific intent to establish a nation wherein church and state would forever remain separate, so that this could not happen, again. We would be a nation that would allow both religious freedom and demand mutual religious tolerance. And for the most part this seems to have been achieved. However, in the last 500 years or so of human history, religious zealotry and intolerance has been on the rise, and been responsible for a significant degree of horrifically inhumane behavior in the forms of systemic oppression, torture, rape, murder, slavery, and outright genocide. And it's still going on today.

I am not singling out any particular religion because religious zealotry seems to occur across the gamut of religious ideologies. I even read some time back about some Buddhist monks attacking and killing some other Buddhist monks. No religion is immune, it seems. So I am curious about at what point, and/or by what identifying factors do we verify what we might call "toxic religious zealotry"? At what point does one pass from being a fervent religious adherent to being a dangerous religious zealot? Is it just one's willingness to do other people harm in the name of our own presumed religious righteousness? Or is there something identifiable in the ideology, itself, that allows people to cross that line between civility and malevolence?

Do you know anyone that you would consider a religious zealot, as opposed to their being just a fervent believer? If so, how did you determine the difference? Also, how do you think we as a society should protect ourselves from people who believe that their own ideals and actions are justified by God, Himself?
How about if you come back some time with valid answers and information from God. Apart from answers, questions are maningless.

PureX

How about if you come back some time with valid answers and information from God. Apart from answers, questions are maningless.
I don't pretend to know what God thinks so that I can excuse myself from doing my own thinking. God seems to have given us a brain, and the freedom to use it without the interference of others, so in appreciation of that gift, I do try to use it.

Sorry if that offends you.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I don't pretend to know what God thinks

That's the thing, you don't HAVE to pretend to know what He thinks. You can actually KNOW, because He has given us His word.

so that I can excuse myself from doing my own thinking.

Doing your own thinking does not excuse you from trying to find out what God thinks.

God seems to have given us a brain,

Not just "seems to." He actually did give us a brain.

and the freedom to use it without the interference of others, so in appreciation of that gift, I do try to use it.

But you apparently don't try to use it to understand what God says.

Sorry if that offends you.

Stupidity offends me, since it's evidence of a greater problem.

Stupid doesn't make you sin but sin makes you stupid.

PureX

That's the thing, you don't HAVE to pretend to know what He thinks. You can actually KNOW, because He has given us His word.
So you have convinced yourself. But look, now, at what you're doing with that presumption. It's why I don't believe you do know.
Doing your own thinking does not excuse you from trying to find out what God thinks.
That's exactly the kind of arrogance that caused Adam and Eve's fall. They, too, wanted to be God's equals. To possess God's knowledge of good and evil. To be divine as God is divine and to stand in judgment of all they surveyed.
Not just "seems to." He actually did give us a brain.

But you apparently don't try to use it to understand what God says.
God's ways are not for me to understand. I am not His equal. I was not created to try and be His equal. I was created to be what I am. A humble human, given the many gifts of His divine spirit: love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity. I don't pretend men's words are God's words so I can presume men's minds can hold God's mind.
Stupidity offends me, since it's evidence of a greater problem.

Stupid doesn't make you sin but sin makes you stupid.
It looks to me like what offends you most is anyone disagreeing with you. This kind of arrogance is not a gift of God's divine spirit. It's just the result of too much human ego. Of pretending that your mind and God's mind are one and the same.

Humans do not possess the knowledge of good and evil. We did not steal from God what God had forbidden us. What we do have, though, is God's divine spirit within us (thanks to the advent of Christ). And if we will allow ourselves to become the human embodiment of that spirit within, we can fulfill our place in God's creation. As God intended.

We aren't here to know God. Or to judge all we survey. We're here to love, and forgive, and appreciate, and share. That's the Eden we lost when we chose to chase after God's knowledge. And it's the Eden we still lose, today, as we still try to become gods, ourselves.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So you have convinced yourself.

Are you asserting that the Bible is not God's word?

But look, now, at what you're doing with that presumption. It's why I don't believe you do know.

You claim to not know anything for certain. Why should your opinion matter here?

That's exactly the kind of arrogance that caused Adam and Eve's fall. They, too, wanted to be God's equals. To possess God's knowledge of good and evil. To be divine as God is divine and to stand in judgment of all they surveyed.

Straw man. Not what I'm arguing.

I'm talking about listening to what God is saying in His word, AKA the Bible.

God's ways are not for me to understand.

Teach me Your way, O Lord; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name. - Psalm 86:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm86:11&version=NKJV

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You. - Psalm 139:17-18 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm139:17-18&version=NKJV

I am not His equal.

Duh.

I was not created to try and be His equal.

Duh.

I was created to be what I am.

You should be more like David.

A humble human, given the many gifts of His divine spirit: love, forgiveness, kindness, and generosity.

You don't act very humble.

I don't pretend men's words are God's words so I can presume men's minds can hold God's mind.

Do you reject that the Bible is God's word? If so, that explains everything you've said so far.

If not, then what's your point? Because I'm not talking about "men's words." I'm talking about scripture!

It looks to me like what offends you most is anyone disagreeing with you.

False.

This kind of arrogance is not a gift of God's divine spirit. It's just the result of too much human ego. Of pretending that your mind and God's mind are one and the same.

Where have I done so?

Humans do not possess the knowledge of good and evil.

The "knowledge of good and evil" is just another way of saying "law," PureX.

The law is the knowledge of good and evil.

We did not steal from God what God had forbidden us.

Whatever that means...

What we do have, though, is God's divine spirit within us (thanks to the advent of Christ).

Some of us do, at least.

And if we will allow ourselves to become the human embodiment of that spirit within, we can fulfill our place in God's creation. As God intended.

That sounds like new age nonsense.

We aren't here to know God.

If you don't know God, then you can't be in a relationship with Him. Those who do not know Him cannot obey Him.

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting;being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers,backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful;who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are deserving of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them. - Romans 1:28-32 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans1:28-32&version=NKJV

Or to judge all we survey.

Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.” - John 7:24 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John7:24&version=NKJV

Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters?Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?If then you have judgments concerning things pertaining to this life, do you appoint those who are least esteemed by the church to judge?I say this to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you, not even one, who will be able to judge between his brethren? - 1 Corinthians 6:2-5 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians6:2-5&version=NKJV

We're here to love,

God IS love.

and forgive,

Only when the person who has wronged you has repented.

and appreciate, and share.

Whatever that means...

That's the Eden we lost when we chose to chase after God's knowledge. And it's the Eden we still lose, today, as we still try to become gods, ourselves.

More new age nonsense.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I don't believe God has commanded you to put homosexuals to death.
If I were to put anyone to death it would be murder. That isn't the question and you know it. It doesn't have anything to do with what is being discussed at all. It is the governing official that doesn't "bare the sword in vain" (Romans 13:4) not regular civilians like you and me.

Why are you being so evasive? Are you ashamed of God's righteousness? Are you afraid to advocate justice?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
There is truly no compelling evidence that God or gods even exist. Syllogisms don't cut it. The Bible is suspect as a source- period. Yet- you act like you have direct knowledge and endorse the view that people who commit non-violent transgressions should die. You are simply a hateful person. There is no excuse for you as you are not a doltish simpleton like many who share your interpretation.
The proof that God exists is literally everywhere. Those who don't see it, don't want to see and and refuse to be shown.

And I'm not the least bit concerned about your personal opinions about me. The fact is that I do HATE homosexuals, and proudly so! Hatred toward those who willfully destroy themselves as well as the very fabric of the society in which they are allowed to persist (which results in the harm and premature death of countless others) is the most loving thing a righteous man can do.

You say their behavior is non-violent but that's because you believe the propaganda. Homosexuals wouldn't exist (practically) if it weren't for prolonged sexual assault of young children. Is that violent enough for you? Not that your opinion counts for anything. God does not need your understanding nor does He ask your permission. God and I both laugh together at your idiotically baseless standard of justice.

Clete

marke

"The genetic fallacy (also known as the fallacy of origins or fallacy of virtue)[1] is a fallacy of irrelevance that is based solely on someone's or something's history, origin, or source rather than its current meaning or context."
In other words, the term racism once meant unjustified white animosity towards blacks. Now the term as used by leftists means anything that is not fully on board with black or leftist ideology, design, and propaganda.

marke

If I were to put anyone to death it would be murder. That isn't the question and you know it. It doesn't have anything to do with what is being discussed at all. It is the governing official that doesn't "bare the sword in vain" (Romans 13:4) not regular civilians like you and me.

Why are you being so evasive? Are you ashamed of God's righteousness? Are you afraid to advocate justice?
You miss my intended meaning. I agree with the death penalty but if a murderer murders my family, for example, I am not ordered by God to put the murderer to death, humanity is. If the ruling governmental powers do not put the murderer to death it would be a sin for me to put the murderer to death myself. God has condemned homosexuals but He has not authorized me to put them to death.

PureX

Are you asserting that the Bible is not God's word?
The Bible is a collection of texts written, edited, and assembled by men. Everyone knows this.

Are you asking me if I believe that God somehow made those men magically inerrant in their understanding of God's mind and will? The answer is no, I don't. Simply because there are so many different versions and interpretations of those texts, and there is clearly so much all-too-human bigotry and violence involved in it. Besides, if God were making the Bible magically inerrant, every translation would say exactly the same thing. And why would God bother when every person that reads it will come away with a different understanding of what it means, anyway. What's the point of giving an inerrant text to errant readers?

But those aren't the main reasons why I don't accept the "inerrant Bible theory". The real reason is that such a belief makes the adherant's faith weak, and totally dependent upon an unreasonable and unrealistic presumption of external authority. Without their inerrant Bible, the "believer" has no God at all. As the Bible has become his God, and he has rejected any and all other avenues of association.
You claim to not know anything for certain. Why should your opinion matter here?
Why do you need certainty so badly? Are you that afraid to be wrong? Faith is not about certainty. Faith is about choosing to follow an ideal in the face of it's UN-certainty.
I'm talking about listening to what God is saying in His word, AKA the Bible.
God isn't saying anything in the Bible. There's nothing in the Bible but a bunch of words. If God is awakening your mind and heart when you read the Bible it's because God is in your heart and mind, already. Not because God is "in the Bible". The book is just a book. The words on the pages are just words on pages. God didn't arrange them and put them there, people did. God is in your heart. The book just happened to help you recognize it. But lots of things can do that for you. God's truth could be found in anything if we're open to it.
Teach me Your way, O Lord; I will walk in Your truth; Unite my heart to fear Your name. - Psalm 86:11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm86:11&version=NKJV

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You. - Psalm 139:17-18
Written by men that did not have the benefit of Christ. And so did not understand that they had God's spirit already within them.
The "knowledge of good and evil" is just another way of saying "law," PureX.
Laws are for people who have no faith in God's divine spirit within them, and so need some external authority to tell them how to think and behave all the time. Sadly, these men of weak faith then try to impose their authorities on those who don't need them. Creating impediments and stumbling blocks to way of the spirit.
God IS love.
And love is a many-splendored thing. A flower with many petals: forgiveness, kindness, respect, generosity, all given freely, and without the expectation of return. Follow the spirit of love, within, and law becomes irrelevant.

Last edited:

marke

The Bible is a collection of texts written, edited, and assembled by men. Everyone knows this.

God inspired men to write and preserve the Bible. Christians who know the mind of God as revealed in the word of God know that.

PureX

God inspired men to write and preserve the Bible.
That may well be so. But it does not make the Bible or those who read it inerrant. God inspires us in many ways and in many things, but we remain fallable humans, nevertheless.
Christians who know the mind of God as revealed in the word of God know that.
They may believe they know the mind of God, but believing doesn't make it so. And if they were to be honest and reasonable about it with themselves, they would admit that it's not very likely that they could know the mind of God, for a whole host of reasons. But unfortunately for them, their whole theology and self-identity is built on this arrogant and unreasonable presumption, so they cannot allow themselves to contemplate how unlikely and unreasonable it actually is. And this drives them apart from their fellow humans.