Real Science Friday: What technologies needed Darwin or an old earth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fool

Hall of Fame
No. The idea that the moons are losing energy is completely backwards.
So it is a cell formula problem?

The are gaining energy from the tidal friction (except in the cases of retrograde motion, or where a moon's period of revolution is shorter than the planet's period of rotation.
Okay, so there is an observation that needs to be made regarding motion and period before one can know what formula should be used in a cell and or multiple cells?
That's huge!
That's the discussion we need to be having, how to figure out what orbits should be or couldn't be. It's just a big math problem but there's no math in this debate as yet.
For reasons that should be obvious,
Okay, that's a big problem, nothing is obvious to a fool.
That's why I'm here. To ask simple questions just in case there's any other people in the universe who don't understand what is "obvious" to Proffesors and Popes and get them to articulate what they are talking about.
I have no pride to protect, just simple questions to ask like a voice in the dark.

but we can discuss them, if you like.
I would very much like to. I wish ThePhy was here.
Is there some kind of starting point available? A calc on what "mainstream science" thinks is the situation on Io so that the YECs can discuss their edits? I hate to see people fighting over words when we should just be discussing numbers.
There's alot of good people here fighting for really bad reasons, and at the end of the day, no matter what comes thru that gate, the only chance we have is if we work togather.
As One.
Strength and Honor.

Alate_One

AGREED. I couldn't agree more A_O. That's why whenever I list the creationist fathers of the physical sciences I go out of my way to stipulate something that TOL evolutionists refuse to accept even as they quote this, that: "This is not an argument from authority, as a typical evolutionist might claim. Rather, this list rebuts the common claim that only uneducated people reject evolution, made by countless atheists."
But *I* didn't make such a claim, and frankly your list doesn't counter the uneducated argument since most of the people on the list were not exposed to Darwinian theory. And none of those that were were exposed to Modern Synthesis as we know it today, with far more evidence than there was in the 1800s.

Plus you never got back to me with a citation for Mendel, plus someone else pointed out that Kelvin isn't really on the list either.

Likewise, my lists of creationists and technologies/inventions is not offered as evidence that their creation view was correct but as a rebuttal to Whorton and Robert's claim and your claim Alate_One that, "Mainstream science is the only science that actually works."
In what I have read from you including the post I'm reply to, I don't believe you have falsified either of these rebuttals.
But it isn't a rebuttal! Did you read what I said? Mainstream science does not equal ONLY the ideas of old earth and evolution. Hello? Earth to Bob?

As I said before you are STILL taking my words to mean what you want them to mean. You are dishonest.

There are *parts* of mainstream science creationists accept. So your list isn't a rebuttal. What would be a rebuttal is showing us a single technology that comes out of young earth creationism itself. And I note you've simply ignored that challenge because you and I both know that there aren't any.

If they were standard, why are there more than one? And aside from YECs, do adherents of one theory for nuclear decay make atomic clocks differently than adherents to a different theory? If not, your bringing this up seems to be an obfuscation, for no evolutionary view of the universe is required to build atomic clocks.
Oh but it is my dear Bob, since you don't believe radioactive decay to actually be constant or the speed of light to be constant or really anything in the past to be governed by the same processes as the present, why on earth would you make a clock based on the assumption that the movement of atoms is actually constant?

So, you seemed to list the following as requiring either Darwinism or belief in an old earth:

atomic clocks, nuclear reactors, satellites, DNA
sequencing, seismograph, seismometer, sonar
What my main emphasis for some of these was that you don't agree with the data produced by these technologies. . . .

And here you appear to be responding to Fred Williams challenge to you: "Identify any technology or invention for which Darwinism or a belief in an old earth is an enabling prerequisite."
And this is the problem, his question, much like your list, is focused on science producing consumer goods (Seriously, sliced bread?). This is not the only nor is it the major use of science. You both totally ignored the other major use of science, making testable predictions. And most importantly predictions that turn out to be correct. YEC has never done this.

Plus things can be invented without a correct (or any) understanding of how they actually work (see compasses). Only some inventions, and most especially consumer products absolutely require a proper understanding of the underlying science. However, where science strongly underlies a technology, like satellites and cosmology, you'd better have your science straight or you'll miss stellar events or have your satellites crashing to earth or flying off into space. Indeed, GPS technologies must deal with the principles of general relativity (which if memory serves you deny) to maintain their atomic clock accuracy.

A_O, I don't recall any major creationist ministry denying recombinant DNA.
I'm not talking about denying it, I'm talking about INVENTING it. That's the whole point of this conversation! Why would a creationist think it would work? Why would they try it at all?

Because they are building blocks.
You say this now in an attempt to explain the DNA data. Except it isn't actually an appropriate explanation. If organisms actually used virtually identical "building blocks" that all had about the same level of similarity, evolution would be disproved. Instead the "building blocks" are all different and they are more different the farther away in the phylogenetic tree you look, just as evolution would predict and NOT as creationism would predict.

Did creationists PREDICT that all organisms would use the same genetic system? I don't think so. It's a direct implication of common descent. Special creation would not necessarily imply this. It certainly wouldn't assume that you could take a human gene, put it into a bacterium and the bacterium would make an identical protein that is made by the human!

I'd suggest that you view the video below as there is a clear explanation of DNA data. Skip to 4 minutes if you'd like to see a direct rebuttal to your "common design" assertion.

Biological Systematics

fool

Hall of Fame
I think Yorz has been hanging out too much with Stripe. This level of scientific inanity I expect from Stripe, but Yorz is usually a bit higher class than this.

Stipe is a good bloke to go troll some pro abort forums with.
CabinetMaker can take some epic abuse just trying to tell some people about Jesus.
You don't have to agree with someone about every thing to agree about one thing and go into battle shoulder to shoulder on that one thing.
Wheather it be the subject or the tone of the discorse.
You can find one thing to agree on and make a friend or one thing to disagree on and make an enemy.
Easy to see where that winds up.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
For the math, you might look here...

http://www.ridgenet.net/~do_while/sage/v5i5d.htm

The big thing is that a higher orbit is only possible if you add energy to the object orbiting. To lift the moon higher, work has to be done, and work is force times distance. And force is always equal to mass times acceleration.

Notice that the energy does not appear magically. The angular momentum of the Earth/Moon system remains constant. But if the Earth loses angular momentum (observably so) that can only mean that the Moon is gaining angular momentum. Hence the higher orbit.

fool

Hall of Fame
For the math, you might look here...

http://www.ridgenet.net/~do_while/sage/v5i5d.htm

The big thing is that a higher orbit is only possible if you add energy to the object orbiting. To lift the moon higher, work has to be done, and work is force times distance. And force is always equal to mass times acceleration.

Notice that the energy does not appear magically. The angular momentum of the Earth/Moon system remains constant. But if the Earth loses angular momentum (observably so) that can only mean that the Moon is gaining angular momentum. Hence the higher orbit.

Awesome!
Thanks for that.
Yohrzik? Bob? Is this a starting point?
Anyone?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Awesome!
Thanks for that.
Yohrzik? Bob? Is this a starting point?
Anyone?
I was wrong about why the moon is receding. Barbarian and the person from the link, one Do-While Jones, are right. I was recalling from memory that the moon is pulling up the oceans and conservation of momentum required it to recede and continually pull the oceans less. Sorry about that. But the correct figures don't help the old earth idea, as it's still inertia that will eventually run out in a lot less time than some billions of years.

It's still a math problem with inertia acting on Io, as well. We should get Do-While Jones to whip up some figures on the Jupiter moons, too.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Citation needed, since I know you didn't do the maths to show this.I assume you then have a refutation of dynamo theory and it's application the Earth then?
The dynamo theory for earth is simply ad hoc. Sure, there is evidence consistent with a dynamo, but it is also consistent with an inner earth that doesn't have a dynamo.

Non sequitur, just because most mutations aren't selectable does not mean that those that are selectable can't take part in evolutionary change. That's like saying because most book ideas are rejected by publishers there is no book industry filled with good and bad books to buy.
Who said anything about mutations that aren't selectable not taking part in evolutionary change? If you read more consistently, you'd see I've said repeatedly they are required for evolutionary change.

The real main driver is (selectable) mutations and natural selection. Though it is simpler to just say mutation since initially neutral mutations can become selectable with subsequent additional mutations.
This can't be right because there are so many more mutations required for a new trait that are not selectable. Those many mutations necessarily precede the selectable one.

It's hard to follow your reasoning, it's as if you are conflating most with all...
As you just demonstrated, it is precisely you that doesn't understand the difference between most and all.

Citation needed, do you really expect us to just take your word on this over trained astrophysicists?
You can look it up yourself. Inertia only works until the fallen object reaches the place where it has fallen to the "bottom", as it were. It stops then and releases no more energy. The things falling in the solar system like the moon are demonstrably unable to continue falling for billions of years.

Perhaps your problem is with your understanding of odds and statistics in general as well as your understanding of mutations, their types and how they affect an organism?That would still be fatal to many species, particularly orchids.Floating debris would not provide sufficient shelter or nutrients to support many species. Unless you've got some idea for floating islands (with portions of soil and which somehow prevent the salt from the brackish water soaking through and contaminating the entire edifice)
Quite. I'm not sure how the floating debris or the tides would affect today's organisms in exhaustive detail. But do re-think the flood in terms of the more likely model I'm presenting and not the cartoon version where water sat motionless on the earth for a year and then suddenly disappeared.

Tyrathca

The dynamo theory for earth is simply ad hoc. Sure, there is evidence consistent with a dynamo, but it is also consistent with an inner earth that doesn't have a dynamo.
So your claim that there is no dynamo is baseless and with it your claims about the impossibility of an old earth.
You can look it up yourself. Inertia only works until the fallen object reaches the place where it has fallen to the "bottom", as it were. It stops then and releases no more energy. The things falling in the solar system like the moon are demonstrably unable to continue falling for billions of years.
I would look that up if such evidence existed. One issue is that the moon isn't falling. Another is your inability to understand the concept of stable orbits.
Quite. I'm not sure how the floating debris or the tides would affect today's organisms in exhaustive detail. But do re-think the flood in terms of the more likely model I'm presenting and not the cartoon version where water sat motionless on the earth for a year and then suddenly disappeared.
Can do, not that it does much to change the cartoonishness of the concept in general.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Decay rate of isotopes.
That's it? Anything else?

But you don't have any evidence for that assumption.
I named 2 of the pieces of evidence. And there are more. Saturn's moons are too active, as well as Saturn's rings.

No.

With over 400 active volcanoes, Io is the most geologically active object in the Solar System. This extreme geologic activity is the result of tidal heating from friction generated within Io's interior as it is pulled between Jupiter and the other Galilean satellites—Europa, Ganymede and Callisto.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Io_(moon)
Yes. Your excerpt is what I said. Io is being pulled by the inertia of the other moons.

More than enough gravitational force from Jupiter to keep all of it going.
But it isn't Jupiter. It's the differential from the pull of the other moons.

If not for Jupiter. Reality shoots one assumption down.
It's the moons that matter the most in the differential, not Jupiter.

As viewed from above, the swirling direction of storms in the atmosphere is always counterclockwise north of the equator and clockwise south of it. Such asymmetry is also expected in rising flows in the Earth's core, and Steenbeck et al., in Germany, showed in 1966 that thanks to it, disordered convection patterns can indeed produce an average "dynamo field. " That became known as the "alpha effect, " because it involved a mathematical quantity denoted by the Greek letter a (alpha)--but the details are far too complicated to be described here.
http://www.iki.rssi.ru/mirrors/stern/earthmag/dynamos2.htm
It's a very complicated model that has a lot of evidence required before it is a theory.

I did, but you clearly did not. You were taken in by dishonest people.
But if you had known, you wouldn't have misunderstood what I said. Where you being intentionally dishonest then?

It's called "genetic drift." But as you learned, directional evolution is by mutation and natural selection.
That's it? Genetic drift? You do realize that Genetic drift equals luck.

No, you still don't get it.
I got it. You still don't understand that most new functions require more than one nucleotide change.

And sometimes, one is enough. Why would that matter?

One to seven would be good. If you doubt one can do it, I can show you some examples.
One can do it. But usually it is more. Evolution has to be explained in light of the majority of situations.

Jukia

Yes. Your excerpt is what I said. Io is being pulled by the inertia of the other moons.

"Pulled by inertia"? gotta admit that I am not a planetary astronomer and my orbital physics goes back to high school, but I was unaware that inertia pulled anything.
Can you explain that?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And this is what you don't understand, colleges don't necessarily care what position a professor holds so long as the data actually supports them. There are many controversial scientists out there, but they have DATA that backs them up. And there are colleges where you can be a YEC, why haven't any of those professors published papers in support of YEC?
Sure there are a few colleges where you can be a YEC. The vast majority are just bigoted institutions, and thus my contention stands. The reason you don't see many papers published by creationists in the colleges they are allowed to work in is because most publications of record are outside of those few colleges.

The reason the number of scientists that support evolution and the number of engineers don't line up is because almost all scientific work does not need evolution or creation. So most scientists will bow at the door to Darwin and then go inside to work on what they want.

Got some calculations or did you read an ICR tract?
I don't read ICR material. Here is the link that Barbarian came up with and I'll accept his recommendation as accurate: http://www.ridgenet.net/~do_while/sage/v5i5d.htm

You still don't get it and apparently you never will. Even if we assume your scenario is the basis of a large proportion of evolutionary change (and I haven't seen evidence that it is) you fail to understand that there is not a single path to the change in question, there are many, hundreds in many cases. Because of this, stacking probabilities like you are, is simply incorrect.
You act like I didn't already take that into account. So we have 4^7 possibilities, and how many of them can lead to a successful new function?

Sure you are discounting evidence, you do it all the time. When a creationist corrects me on a mistake I acknowledge it. I've yet to see a creationist have a good point with regard to creationism.
Oh the irony. You act like the 6 required nucleotide changes mean very little, but the 7th that turns on a new function is all that matters.

Oh no they weren't! Linneus was a creationist and he created the original groupings. Most of them can be picked out objectively by sheer preponderance of characteristics.

For our group we could start with the genus Panthera, which includes most big cats like lions tigers and leopards. Do you think these creatures share a common ancestor?
Probably a lot of them do, if not all. Let's take a look at Panthera.

Why do you think it is subjective? What other group of animals would make sense for humans to be classified with?
None. Many monkeys are probably not of the same kind.

It really isn't just the salt, its the anoxia from being under a substantial amount of water. Plus simply being buried too deeply in sediment. Small seeds just don't have the energy to push through much more than a few centimeters of soil.

Most plants wouldn't require a year to be killed, a few weeks could do it, and in the case of orchid seeds, hours would probably be sufficient.

There are a tiny number of plants that would survive something like that. Considering the vast number of kinds of Orchids and other small seeded and flooding sensitive plants that exist today, the idea of a truly global flood is untenable, unless you're going to assert a post flood re-creation. Some early flood geologists did assert a re-creation when they ran into these difficulties.

And of course we're not even talking about the survival of the very specific insects and fungi that these plants require for survival.

And of course we could talk about the biogeography of plants and animals, how could the animals, all leaving from the ark have found their way *back* to the only parts of the world where their fossils are also found, namely monotremes and marsupials in Australia and South America.

How could velvet worms (which can hardly be considered world travelers) end up with a distribution like this?
Like I said to Thyra, I wouldn't have all the details because we are missing a lot of information. But don't write off the flood because you think everything was underwater for a year and suddenly there was dry land.

And these creatures, that look identical, have three different modes of reproduction, egglaying, pseudolivebearing and true livebearing. Do you think God created all of those forms separately, or could they have *gasp* evolved?
They probably evolved. But they probably evolved from the same kind.

Jukia

Many monkeys are probably not of the same kind.

Ah, a wonderful research area for all thos creation scientists lucky enough to be working at an unbigoted university. How many kinds of monkeys are there? We do have some pretty sophisticated genetic tools these days.
Is anyone doing this work???

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you. You will have to forgive my not picking up on your meaning sooner, but in my experience “channeling” was something done in séances by spiritual mediums (or by bored people with a remote trying to find something good on TV). I will add your extension of what it means to my previously impoverished science lexicon.
Sorry. I'm not a scientist, but I'm trying to explain things as clearly as possible. Perhaps you know of a better phrase than "channeled energy" to explain a situation where energy is changed in form or re-routed to get an effect?

Again it is clearly my limited few decades in science that somehow failed to include “channeling energy” that gives rise to my dishonesty.
I just can't believe the idea can't be figured out by smart people. I'll try to be less quick on the trigger in the future, but I thought we had this conversation before.

BTW, I haven't had a cross word with my wife in months.

I take it that like “channeling” now “inertia” is being assigned a meaning that is not obvious in world of science, but crystal clear in the world of Yorz? I thought Newton said inertia had something to do with the resistance an object had to change in motion. I’ve never seen it expressed in terms of energy.
Resistance to an object. Precisely.

Let's say you have a dog on a leash. It runs off, but with its inertia resisted by your arm you keep it from going into traffic. If the dog is big it would take more energy to stop it than if the dog were small.

Again, I'm not a scientist, so if you have a better term, I'll be glad to correct the use of mine.

I suspect it is not the existence of the rings themselves you are objecting to, but the lack of explanation for how some of the gaps have been formed?
No, the rings are breaking up. They wouldn't be as clear or full if many billions of years had passed.

I see where to Barb you say the earth does not have a dynamo regenerating its magnetic field. I presume you are parroting the ideas from Thomas Barnes?
I've never read Barnes. However, I read a scientist who was working on the dynamo problem in the 80's or 90's that said the problem was not solved. When I saw Barbie's link was from the 60's, it was clearly behind the times. Has anything new happened in the last 2 or so decades on the problem? I know there has been some breakthroughs because I saw a current article (at the time) on a new model from less than 10 years ago. I couldn't find it, but perhaps you can.

On your claim to Barb about the Jovian moons reaching equilibrium with Io and not imparting energy to it, can you provide a reference to the physics that show that would happen?
The energy is coming from somewhere. If you don't believe the current consensus, perhaps you have another idea?

“Orbits in flux” is a bit too general. What orbits, and why does that point to a young earth?
The moons of Earth, Jupiter, and Saturn. But there are others as well.

And yes, I am a dishonest dweeb (saved you the need to call me something).
Just don't have the most uncharitable reading of everything I say. It appears that is what you do whenever you can.

Ok, is there automatically an energy drain if a satellite orbits a central body in an elliptical orbit? (Orbital distance is constantly changing – in flux)
I believe so. Don't elliptical obits tend to go circular on bodies that aren't perfectly round?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So your claim that there is no dynamo is baseless and with it your claims about the impossibility of an old earth.
LOL... the dynamo is your claim. You're the one that needs to come up with the evidence.

I would look that up if such evidence existed.
You're kidding, right?

One issue is that the moon isn't falling.
In a manner of speaking they are, as gravity can be treated like the acceleration of falling.

Regardless of that, you should be able to figure out what I mean. Would "reaching equilibrium" make it all better if "falling 'til it reaches bottom" doesn't?

Another is your inability to understand the concept of stable orbits.
What makes you think I wouldn't understand that concept?

Can do, not that it does much to change the cartoonishness of the concept in general.
OK.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Sure there are a few colleges where you can be a YEC.

Harvard is one of them. Kurt Wise was accepted by none other than Stephen Gould as a doctoral candidate, even though he knew Wise was a YE creationist.

How many colleges actually ban YE creationists. On the other hand, if you check the ICR graduate school, you will find you can't even apply without a loyalty oath to creationism.

This is one of the major differences between scientists and creationists.

The vast majority are just bigoted institutions, and thus my contention stands.

So your standard the graduate school of the Institute for Creation research is bigoted, and Harvard is not. That doesn't seem to help you any.

The reason you don't see many papers published by creationists in the colleges they are allowed to work in is because most publications of record are outside of those few colleges.

The truth is, there are only a tiny minority of working scientists who are YE creationists. You see a representative sample. BTW, guess what chance a non-creationist has of getting something published in Ex Nihilo.

That argument is a loser for you, Yorz. The bigots are mostly on your side.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Yorz asks what evidence Rutherford had for ancient rocks)

Barbarian observes:
Decay rate of isotopes.

That's it?

What else do you need? You know the decay rate of the isotope, and the daughter isotopes of the process, and then it becomes a pretty simple thing. Rutherford was lucky to have worked on a system with little movement of isotopes.

Today with isochrons, we can use things like K-Ar.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Incidentally, the evidence for a dynamo in the Earth is very persuasive.

1. The outer core, composed mostly of iron and nickle, is liquid. (Analysis of seismic data; secondary waves cannot travel through liquids)

2. The magnetic field changes in orientation and strength over time, sometimes greater, sometimes less, but is always changing. Sometimes, it even flips. This is consistent with a dynamo, but not with magnetic substances slowly losing magnetism.

Where does the energy from all this come? The decay of radioactive elements in the core. This sets up convection currents in the mantle and the Coriolis effect then produces a chaotic movement something like that in the atmosphere.

3. Every simulation of the system produces currents of liquid iron, and that is sufficient to cause magnetic fields. The currents in the models also produce fields that look like those of Earth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.