pverty doesn't cause people to want to be terrorists... but

republicanchick

I like how Donald Rumsfeld on Fox eaarlier today said it is an insult to the poor to insinuate that being poor can lead to one being influenced by/tempted to join the soul-less murdering maniacs overseas..

But we have to acknowledge that people DO get angry when they always have to do without... such htings as housing, transportation, etc..

do t hey get angry enough to KILL, though?

the thing is, you have to (as a poor person who can't seem to get ahead) blame the people who are responsible. Soemtimes it is the poor person's fault he is poor. Soemtimes it is his family's fault (for not helping him when he is young.. .e tc). Soemtimes it is society's fault (Sorry to sound so unRepublican but it's true).

Usually, however, it is ALL of the ABove...

(a conspiracy of bad factors all converging at once...)

in any case, most people who get angry over their plight do not automatically think, "I'm ticked... I'm going to join ISIS so i can get my frustrations out by killing lots of people"

that doesn't happen too often.. and obviously, giving that person a job is not going to dissuade him... he has decided (made a choice) to do EVIL (as opposed to trying other options...)

I mean, we are talking about REASONING with a person who... has chosen (yes CHOSEN) to harm others.

When is the Admin going to get the picture? namely, that these people who decide to join the murdering Neanderthals are

HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO

not rational

____

Sitamun

Yes dear, poverty CAN make someone join just such a group. These people are promising these desperate people the things they want. Not millions of dollars, but a way of life THEY want. Of course, many times they are just lying to gain cannon fodder, but the fact that they can abuse the dreams of the most down trodden to their own gains is a very sick fact.

republicanchick

Yes dear, poverty CAN make someone join just such a group. These people are promising these desperate people the things they want. Not millions of dollars, but a way of life THEY want. Of course, many times they are just lying to gain cannon fodder, but the fact that they can abuse the dreams of the most down trodden to their own gains is a very sick fact.

spoken like a typical lib

no one has control over his own actions

wow... Do YOU have control over your actions?

just wondering...

___

Sitamun

spoken like a typical lib

no one has control over his own actions

wow... Do YOU have control over your actions?

just wondering...

___

Where did I say no one has control over their actions. You do know there is a difference between explaining something and excusing it right? The fact that I acknowledge poverty to be a factor doesn't mean I support the actions of those that take the action to join a gang or terrorist group. Are there things we as a society can do to help alleviate poverty? Yes. Do I think it will work on them all? Most likely not, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. (I'm using we in the larger, all of humanity sense here). How old are you? I ask because you have a very juvenile attitude towards the world. It is a large and very complex place.

republicanchick

if poverty were an indicator of who will become a terrorist or criminal

well, for one thing, there is this:

most of the jihadists who have been the most dangerous to the west (USA) have been WeLL OFF financially

80% of them, according to my info...

The 20% is probably middle class or upper middle class. Poor people usually just want to live a simple life, care for hteir families, etc... MaBbe that is why they are chronically POOR? or so called poor?

they just want to live a simple life, not chase after $$ and fame and etc...

The jihadists hate the poor... just as about everyone else does as well...

+++++

Mocking You

[B said:
republicanchick;4235775]if poverty were an indicator of who will become a terrorist or criminal

well, for one thing, there is this:

most of the jihadists LEADERS who have been the most dangerous to the west (USA) have been WeLL OFF financially

Fixed your post for you.

You're welcome.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I like how Donald Rumsfeld on Fox eaarlier today said it is an insult to the poor to insinuate that being poor can lead to one being influenced by/tempted to join the soul-less murdering maniacs overseas..
He's wrong. It's no more insulting that suggesting that poverty increases the likelihood of criminal activity. Desperate people tend to act differently than the insulated and relatively happy.

But we have to acknowledge that people DO get angry when they always have to do without... such htings as housing, transportation, etc..
So, circumstances influence how we process life. Sure.

Seems like it would depend on all sorts of things, from the duration of the lack to who you blame for it, to the potential being offered to you by the group who wants your help.

the thing is, you have to (as a poor person who can't seem to get ahead) blame the people who are responsible. Soemtimes it is the poor person's fault he is poor. Soemtimes it is his family's fault (for not helping him when he is young.. .e tc). Soemtimes it is society's fault (Sorry to sound so unRepublican but it's true).
That actually sounds reasonable.

Usually, however, it is ALL of the ABove...
You're saying it takes a village to make an idiot? :) Okay, okay, yes. I think that's a responsible, reasonable way of seeing it.

in any case, most people who get angry over their plight do not automatically think, "I'm ticked... I'm going to join ISIS so i can get my frustrations out by killing lots of people"
Agreed. But there are more factors that play into the mix. Minorities are disproportionately poor. Then you have a religious angle.

that doesn't happen too often.. and obviously, giving that person a job is not going to dissuade him... he has decided (made a choice) to do EVIL (as opposed to trying other options...)
Not sure about that. If we're talking about what happens before that choice is made then maybe a decent job changes everything. A little hope can make a massive difference in a life, don't you think?

I mean, we are talking about REASONING with a person who... has chosen (yes CHOSEN) to harm others.
I'd agree it's too late once the die is cast.

When is the Admin going to get the picture? namely, that these people who decide to join the murdering Neanderthals are

HELLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO

not rational
I don't think that's lost on them, which is why you tend to hear them say we're in a war against extremists and not simply a religion.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

We certainly became angry enough to kill after 9/11. We were afraid and started worrying about our housing, transportation and population might be destroyed to such an extent that we would certainly have to "do without" many of the things America has built.

Sorry to be so blunt but human beings in every time and place kill other human beings because they are angry at them. And anger is always a "cover emotion" to mask our underlying fear.

(a conspiracy of bad factors all converging at once...)
I am glad that FOX "News" is beginning to open up a bit to see the broader picture. The other night Meghan Kelly surprised me when she used commonsense thinking to defend Obama's choice of words when warning us about terrorism.

People in the new emerging global culture are realizing that causality is not simply A causes B and results in C. This way of thinking is bankrupt today.

Such formulations and framing worked in the 19th century, but they do not work today. More and more we are tending to view our reality more holistically instead of mechanically.

Rational thinking is also useless for collaborating with others on world problems. Critical thinking and conceptualizing things in patterns is a more useful way to deal with today's reality.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Was the person from history known as Mother Theresa angry?
Most people who were raised in an atmosphere of respect, fairness and caring still get angry, but they have learned as a child to fully feel their emotions, give them names and learn to express them to others like adults.

Some of the mockery and sarcasm we read on these forums is evidence of this. We tend to treat others the way we ourselves were treated.

When Congressman Joe Wilson shouted "You lie !!!" during the president's State of the Union speech he said later--after being forced into an apology--that "I let my emotions get the better of me."

Exactly!

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
You cannot "reason" with a violent person. You can only be reasonable towards him/her and look for what is alive in them to connect with their positive intentions.

The riots in the black ghettos during the 1960s could be seen as terrorism because of poverty (and other important factors, of course).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Taliban is against prosperity you raging morons. Good God, could you clowns know any less of anything?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Good to see you being as mature as ever Nick. Any chance of you having the guts to take ownership of your atrocious stance of nuking people or are you just going to run away from it all? :)
Hey, welcome to the GTH club. You're going to have to be fitted for a jacket...I mean blazer, of course. It's 100% cotton, because you're really going to need for it to breath, if you understand me.

Okay, that aside, can we all agree that poverty, suffering over prolonged periods of time tends to be a breeding ground for the worst sort of impulse control, making criminal and other extremist behavior a more likely response? If so then maybe we should focus on doing something about that as part of our war on terror.

Arthur Brain

Hey, welcome to the GTH club. You're going to have to be fitted for a jacket...I mean blazer, of course. It's 100% cotton, because you're really going to need for it to breath, if you understand me.

Okay, that aside, can we all agree that poverty, suffering over prolonged periods of time tends to be a breeding ground for the worst sort of impulse control, making criminal and other extremist behavior a more likely response? If so then maybe we should focus on doing something about that as part of our war on terror.

:think:

Ya know, that could be a new social group...

As to the latter, salient point...

Mocking You

Okay, that aside, can we all agree that poverty, suffering over prolonged periods of time tends to be a breeding ground for the worst sort of impulse control, making criminal and other extremist behavior a more likely response?

No, we can't. We can point to the Great Depression in the U.S. and the absence of the vast majority of people becoming criminals. People in poverty become criminals and terrorists when they succumb to a breakdown in their morals and/or become brainwashed by envy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, we can't.
Then we need to address the contradiction of numbers that show exactly that...and by we I mostly mean you. :eek:

We can point to the Great Depression in the U.S. and the absence of the vast majority of people becoming criminals.
Most people who are poor aren't criminals today either.

But of the people who are criminals they disproportionately come from poorer circumstances and of the people who tend toward extremist behavior? Overwhelmingly under educated and poor. Now you'l have rich and smart people leading nearly any movement and you'll have really smart people in prisons, but on the whole it's objectively certain that if you're born into poverty you're likely born into a family with little education and will be much more likely to become a burden on society.