Prayer

PureX

I like to pray, in fact, I love to pray! It focuses me on the divine. It helps me to be a better me. It calls me to task when I think I know it all. And, most importantly, it lifts me up on eagles wings when all seems so hopeless and lost.
Sometimes, when my heart is broken, it is the only way I get through the day.
Wait a minute, that's MY job! :DK:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The "Lord's Prayer" does not reinforce most traditional notions of Christianity. I've seen preachers talk about the necessity of a blood sacrifice and then later on in the sermon mention the Lord's Prayer.

Jesus belonged to--as did John the Baptizer--the ancient tradition of a God of mercy that demands repentance, not the spilling of blood. The prayer he taught his followers indicates forgiveness as reciprocal: we are forgiven to the same extent that we forgive others. And that God's Kingdom is here on EARTH, where the real problems are.

Continually looking forward to a fantasy of heavenly existence prevents us from picking up the cross and following Jesus in this life.

Eric h

I have been a Street Pastor for the last seven years, we go out on the streets until 3 - 4 am, coming into contact with drunks, drugs, angry people, fights, homeless, suicidal and of course lots of wonderful people too.

It is wonderful being a Catholic and praying together with Christians from eight denominations. I can only say that prayer has given me a profound sense of peace, even when we are in the middle of people punching the living daylights out of each other.

We give thanks to our Lord constantly, so far all the conflicts have ended with apologies, handshakes and hugs, this just would not happen without prayer.