Prayer

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Does it make any difference?

yes. Romans 8 -

Prayer brings our inner spirit to the forefront. there is no set way to pray, i pray to God in Jesus' name like i am talking to my dad or a friend. even when we aren't exactly sure what to pray or how to pray, the Holy Spirit knows and makes intercession for us; even Christ.

some prayers take time, sometimes years or decades, and they may not be answered in the exact way we hoped for, but they ARE answered when the motives are righteous and NOT selfish James 5:16 KJV - i pray for other people and matters besides myself. i let His Spirit pray for me.

although we have One Mediator between God and men; Christ Jesus,

the Saints and angels pray for us also - Matthew 18:10 KJV -

Romans 8:25 KJV - Romans 8:26 KJV -

Romans 8:27-28 KJV - Revelation 5:8 KJV - Revelation 8:4 KJV -

glorydaz

Yes....for Praise, Thanksgiving, as well as Supplication according to God's will.

Philippians 4:6
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

2 Timothy 1:3
I thank God, whom I serve from my forefathers with pure conscience, that without ceasing I have remembrance of thee in my prayers night and day;​

RBBI

If you have to ask, likely it won't for you. Without faith, nothing is possible. With faith, nothing is impossible.

OCTOBER23

IF YOU DO NOT PRAY DAILY TO GOD OUR FATHER THAN YOU WILL NOT BE IN THE KINGDOM.

Luke 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always,

that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things

that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

2 Thessalonians 1:11 Wherefore also we pray always for you,

that our God would count you worthy of this calling,

and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:

Luke 18:1 And he spake a parable unto them to this end,

that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;

exminister

I pray to adjust my attitude and trust God to handle everything else.

My favorite prayer is "God help me to want what I have".
That can reverse a bad day for me.

Another similar thing is "Imagine that everything and everyone in my life is taken away. Then imagine it is all given back to me".
How grateful I would be.

journey

Yes, prayer makes a difference. First, we are communicating with our Heavenly Father, and we should know that He loves to hear our prayers. This doesn't hint that we will always get what we ask for. God knows best according to His perfect will, and He does things in His own time and way.

Could you imagine not talking with your earthly father? Not talking to our Heavenly Father would be far worse.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

It does to me. But I don't believe in a God who is a divine vending machine. God is so far above us that the idea of a figure who is in heaven and listens to and grants our all-too-human requests is silly now that we live in a scientific world view.

Prayer has to do with trusting God--and "trust" is the correct translation to "faith" as Jesus used the word.

We come to a God of mercy for repentance and forgiveness of others, as Jesus taught us in "the Lord's Prayer." The universe has its own laws and qualities that have been consistent since time began.

That consistency--and that mystery--is God in my opinion.

We no longer pray for rain--at least most of us don't. We may wish for it and implore Creation to intervene but we follow meteorologists these days. And in matters of health, the same thing is going on. Medical and scientific intervention is what addresses sickness and disease. We can certainly connect with that "still small voice" inside and pour out our hopes and dreams. But God in His wisdom lets creation unfold naturally and within the bounds of physics.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Yes, prayer makes a difference. First, we are communicating with our Heavenly Father, and we should know that He loves to hear our prayers. This doesn't hint that we will always get what we ask for. God knows best according to His perfect will, and He does things in His own time and way.

Could you imagine not talking with your earthly father? Not talking to our Heavenly Father would be far worse.
The trouble with this idea is that most prayers are not "answered." And vile and evil suffering continues to plague us. We can only trust the divine.

When Jesus used the word "faith" that is exactly what it meant in the first century: TRUST.

Timotheos

The trouble with this idea is that most prayers are not "answered." And vile and evil suffering continues to plague us. We can only trust the divine.

When Jesus used the word "faith" that is exactly what it meant in the first century: TRUST.

Yes, Hebrews 11:1 ESV
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
earlier we had a thread about the Lord's prayer
many here do not use that prayer
and
we can only speculate why

it may not agree with their theology

bybee

I like to pray, in fact, I love to pray! It focuses me on the divine. It helps me to be a better me. It calls me to task when I think I know it all. And, most importantly, it lifts me up on eagles wings when all seems so hopeless and lost.
Sometimes, when my heart is broken, it is the only way I get through the day.

PureX

I think that depends on why and how we practice it. I think that when the act of praying changes us, that change in us can have an effect on how we feel, how we act, and how the world around us responds to us. Those effects are real and can be very positive. But prayer that doesn't change us, doesn't change anything else, either.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I like to pray, in fact, I love to pray! It focuses me on the divine. It helps me to be a better me. It calls me to task when I think I know it all. And, most importantly, it lifts me up on eagles wings when all seems so hopeless and lost.
Sometimes, when my heart is broken, it is the only way I get through the day.

do you pray the Our Father?