Prayer means something

Adam

Hall of Fame
God actually listens when we talk to Him!

We were studying Exodus 32 and 2 Kings 20 last night and in both cases, God made a proclamation, to Moses and to Hezekiah, of something He would do.

Both Moses and Hezekiah pleaded with God and even reminded Him of certain things (Moses reminded God of His covenant and Hezekiah reminded God that he was a good man) and when God heard their cases, like a good judge does, He changed His mind and did not bring forth the things He had earlier proclaimed!

These two stories, and others, are beautiful cases of how God does listen and interact with His people. He is not a stone giant, He is real and He wants to hear from us.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

We were studying Exodus 32 and 2 Kings 20 last night and in both cases, God made a proclamation, to Moses and to Hezekiah, of something He would do.

Both Moses and Hezekiah pleaded with God and even reminded Him of certain things (Moses reminded God of His covenant and Hezekiah reminded God that he was a good man) and when God heard their cases, like a good judge does, He changed His mind and did not bring forth the things He had earlier proclaimed!

These two stories, and others, are beautiful cases of how God does listen and interact with His people. He is not a stone giant, He is real and He wants to hear from us.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-25 KJV -

[FONT=&quot]Rejoice evermore.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]17 Pray without ceasing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]19 Quench not the Spirit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]20 Despise not prophesyings.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]25 Brethren, pray for us.[/FONT]

Adam

Hall of Fame
Beautiful. It's funny because we also covered 1 Thessalonians 5 briefly last night and in a prior study. So many Christians are dying to know what God's will is for their life. It says right there to rejoice, pray, and give thanks.

Adam

Hall of Fame
God's will for all is that (a) all be saved, and (b) come to a knowledge of the truth.

No disagreement at all. That is God's will for everyone, a universal will. His will is also detailed in 1 Thessalonians 5 (as detailed above), pray without ceasing, give thanks, and rejoice.

Do you disagree with that?

glorydaz

I pray without thinking....I mean without ceasing. :)

Yes, I pray, and I have seen my prayers answered.
I've often thought of our Lord's words, "You have not because you ask not." I ask for help getting through trials, even though I know He is always there. Mainly, though, I offer prayers of thanksgiving for His wonderful Mercy and Grace as we walk through this world of suffering and sin.

musterion

No disagreement at all. That is God's will for everyone, a universal will. His will is also detailed in 1 Thessalonians 5 (as detailed above), pray without ceasing, give thanks, and rejoice.

Do you disagree with that?

That the latter is His will for believers, no, I do not disagree. But anyone who is in unbelief can expect nothing from Him no matter how seemingly righteous they may appear, no matter how fervently they may pray.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
musterion said:
God's will for all is that (a) all be saved, and (b) come to a knowledge of the truth.
. . . the latter is His will for believers . . . . But anyone who is in unbelief can expect nothing from Him no matter how seemingly righteous they may appear, no matter how fervently they may pray.
I agree that those who with full knowledge and with deliberate consent, do not believe He is risen, have no hope. The truth is that God wants believers to all be in full communion with each other. We are His people, a Body, a temple, and a family.

musterion

I agree that those who with full knowledge and with deliberate consent, do not believe He is risen, have no hope. The truth is that God wants believers to all be in full communion with each other. We are His people, a Body, a temple, and a family.

There is no "we."

oatmeal

When we want something from God the first thing we need to know is what is available from God.
I was taught this by V P Wierwille.
If you want to know and do God's will we must go to God's word.